Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee to Fenit Greenway

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

It says in the Kerryman that they are calls to bring the Tralee to Feint walkway to the next stage. It was called on by a fina fall member.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭TigerTim

We walked the Mounthawk to Connolly Park section twice over Christmas. Well done to all involved. A great amenity & dead safe for the kids to cycle the Fat Mile & then down the the new walkway. Didn't realize it was so wide. Looking forward to seeing the route to Fenit completed. Only complaint was that there's dog sh!te all over the road. It's a pity dog owners don't clean up after their pets.

T.

TigerTim wrote: »
    We walked the Mounthawk to Connolly Park section twice over Christmas. Well done to all involved. A great amenity & dead safe for the kids to cycle the Fat Mile & then down the the new walkway. Didn't realize it was so wide. Looking forward to seeing the route to Fenit completed. Only complaint was that there's dog sh!te all over the road. It's a pity dog owners don't clean up after their pets.

T.

It will be a while before the rest of the route to feint will be complete. It wont commence construction' for another while.

Is construction still underway on the Rock Street to Mounthawk section or is it complete now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 A1 Dan

Walked it yesterday. The road (for that is what it is) surface is finished but they appear to have lighting to be installed yet.
    Also walked the other direction towards Listowel, I missed the turn off for Fenit as it was overgrown, but spotted it on the way back.
    The trackbed is intact for the most part, so it would take very little to turn it into a walkway.

A1 Dan wrote: »
    Walked it yesterday. The road (for that is what it is) surface is finished but they appear to have lighting to be installed yet.
    Also walked the other direction towards Listowel, I missed the turn off for Fenit as it was overgrown, but spotted it on the way back.
    The trackbed is intact for the most part, so it would take very little to turn it into a walkway.

I must have a walk on it as soon as I'm down that way again. I reckon they should start construction on the rest of the line to fenit this year or asap

They have not knocked the wall at rock Street yet

Anyone have any clue yet as to when work on the rest of the line to fenit should start?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

Anyone have any clue yet as to when work on the rest of the line to fenit should start?

No, no idea. But I just found something else that sounds strangely familiar:

This is also interesting and the reason for the aformentioned walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

This should explain all...
    Quaderno wrote: »

What's wrong with those people? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Quaderno wrote: »
    No, no idea. But I just found something else that sounds strangely familiar:

This is also interesting and the reason for the aformentioned walk.

FFS....technically speaking who actually owns the old railway alignment? Was it released to the farmers/landowners when the line was abandoned?

RikkFlair wrote: »
    FFS....technically speaking who actually owns the old railway alignment? Was it released to the farmers/landowners when the line was abandoned?

ALL the railway lands are still owned by the state and a licence is granted to the local councils in most cases to operate on the lands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

AFAIK it was not - and the presence of CIE officials would indicate this also.

Guess what's been happening to those strips of land in the meantime?

serfboard wrote: »
    AFAIK it was not - and the presence of CIE officials would indicate this also.

Their proper title is "Squatters" ;)

http://traleetofenitcycleway.wordpress.com/

50 years…

February 1, 2013 by traleefenit

On a frosty evening fifty years ago the last regular passenger train wended its way through West Limerick and North Kerry as it made its final journey from Limerick to Tralee. All along the route people came out to bid farewell.

It was Saturday 2nd February 1963. Although this was not the last train to travel on the line, (freight services continued up until 1978) it was the last time it was used for passenger transit. A passenger is defined as person who travels in a vehicle, while the line may have seen the last of passengers, it has not seen the last of people, it is great to see that 50 years on from that last passenger train people are again using the railway (although this time under their own steam ! ).

Work on the reopening of the Tralee section of the line and the Fenit branch is well underway, the Limerick section of the line is complete to the Kerry border and a number of local groups have began working to reopen sections in their locality.

Coincidentally in 2013 the 2nd of February also falls on a Saturday and to commemorate the last train a walk will set out from Abbeyfeale Station along the Great Southern Trail(GST) at 2.15pm to Duagh Village, the route is approximately four miles long and as portion of the route is on the public road all participants are advised to wear visibility vests.

There is also a Facebook event for the walk please share it with you family and friends.

Refreshments will be provided at Jim’s Bar, Duagh and return transport to Abbeyfeale will be provided. Those travelling from the Tralee/Listowel direction may consider the 1pm CIÉ bus from Tralee(1.30pm from Listowel) to Abbeyfeale; there is a return CIÉ service to Listowel/Tralee at 4.45pm directly from Duagh.

serfboard wrote: »

Being used as cow paths and hay storage, from what I can see on Google maps. (and no doubt some people extending their back yards!)

CIE still own the land, see this from the Dail last week.

amadain wrote: »
    ALL the railway lands are still owned by the state and a licence is granted to the local councils in most cases to operate on the lands.

Just delaying the inevitable :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

kingdumb wrote: »

You do have a point - I think this whole land ownership fanaticism (mind you, the Bull McCabe was far from the only land addict in that film - the hypocrisy of the priest makes me laugh) is impeding progress in this country (it's a countrywide problem IMO) - I think some people forget that they are part of a country and for a country to run properly, it needs infrastructure - that includes the area of transport, communications, energy, social and recreation etc (in no order of importance). Some people in this country are selfish and narrow minded - that's one of the reasons we're in this economic mess - when will people learn???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

amadain wrote: »
    Their proper title is "Squatters" ;)

Their proper title is unprintable. A tourist and local leisure asset blocked by a minority of small minded Healy-Rae-esque troglodytes.

No wonder the country is in the sh*tter with self-serving goms like these around.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 jezzag

What can we do about it I wonder? Anyone on here involved with the GST group?

Their proper title is unprintable. A tourist and local leisure asset blocked by a minority of small minded Healy-Rae-esque troglodytes.

No wonder the country is in the sh*tter with self-serving goms like these around.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Listowel town councillor Denis Stack is their ringleader. He can be contacted at denis.stack@listoweltc.ie and I would urge everyone, especially his Listowel electorate, to let him know your opinions on the matter.

Excellent Quackster. I was just thinking the same thing myself. I pulled together a list of all the town councillors, plus the town clerk, plus the Kerry County Council Listowel area reps ( Maria Gorman's email address is non-functioning. I'll point this out to the town clerk when I contact them):

Barrett-Madigan , Jacqueline Fine Gael:
    cllrjackie@eircom.net

Barry, Tom. Sinn Féin::
    tom.barry@kerrycoco.ie

Curtin , Anthony Sinn Féin:
    anthony.curtin@listoweltc.ie

Gorman , Maria Fianna Fáil:
    shanawayoceanfree.net

Kennelly , Mike Fine Gael
    mike.kennelly@kerrycoco.ie

Moloney , Jimmy Fianna Fáil
    jimmy.moloney@kerrycoco.ie

O'Leary , Tim Fine Gael
    tim.oleary@listoweltc.ie

Stack , Denis Fine Gael
    denis.stack@listoweltc.ie

Walsh , Tom Fianna Fáil
    tom.walsh@listoweltc.ie

townclerk@listoweltc.ie

Kerry County Council Listowel Electoral Area representatives

Beasley , Robert Sinn Féin:
    cllrrobert.beasley@kerrycoco.ie

Brassil , John Fianna Fáil:
    cllrjbrassil@gmail.com

Tim Buckley: Fine Gael
    tim.buckley127@gmail.com

Leahy , Pat Labour:
    cllrpat.leahy@kerrycoco.ie

Purtill , Liam Fine Gael:
    cllrliam.purtill@kerrycoco.ie

And if you want to quickly email the lot in one go, try this list:

cllrjackie@eircom.net
    tom.barry@kerrycoco.ie
    anthony.curtin@listoweltc.ie
    mike.kennelly@kerrycoco.ie
    jimmy.moloney@kerrycoco.ie
    tim.oleary@listoweltc.ie
    denis.stack@listoweltc.ie
    tom.walsh@listoweltc.ie
    townclerk@listoweltc.ie
    cllrrobert.beasley@kerrycoco.ie
    cllrjbrassil@gmail.com
    tim.buckley127@gmail.com
    cllrpat.leahy@kerrycoco.ie
    cllrliam.purtill@kerrycoco.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

• Registered Users Posts: 24,071 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They should start laying new tracks and strap the banjo-playing protestors to it before the new rail service starts.

... of course, they'd also have to get "quarry man" Dillon from Woodford to rebuild the old railway bridge that he demolished without permission years ago.

Some of the natives don't give a hoot about CIE's title to anything, and plod on regardless.

JonathonS wrote: »
    "Meanwhile, CIE has confirmed to Radio Kerry News it’s received a solicitor’s letter from the group stating landowners have claim to sections of the rail line."

I think this a case of the "Sure no one is using it, It's mine now" mentality.
    ejmaztec wrote: »
    They should start laying new tracks and strap the banjo-playing protestors to it before the new rail service starts.

Oh God I laughed so hard....Deliverance all over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

I think this a case of the "Sure no one is using it, It's mine now" mentality.

Oh God I laughed so hard....Deliverance all over again.

I suppose they're looking for the ground to put a few rotten old silage bales or cattle and a feeder on and this bucksheen of a councillor is on board.

The councillor has a farm further along the route apparently, unsurprisingly.

• Advertisement

IMG_2548.JPG
    Quackster wrote: »
    Listowel town councillor Denis Stack is their ringleader. He can be contacted at denis.stack@listoweltc.ie and I would urge everyone, especially his Listowel electorate, to let him know your opinions on the matter.

Edit, How dol you set the embed size for an image, anyone ?

Advertisement