Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Philosophy Exam - 1st year , 1st Sem

Options
  • 10-12-2011 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Just joined Boards to talk with some people about this upcoming exam next Monday.
    I have a few questions towards people who know what they're talking about;

1. Seeing as we have to 3 questions - so 2 sections and 3 philosophers, can I for example do 2 questions on say Rousseau and one on Hobbes - and leave out Descartes altogether? Any variation really but would that be okay?

2. How long does each essay have to be with respect to time? We have 2 hours so 3 essays. 120mins / 3 = 40 mins? But how much are you expected to write in 40mins?

3. What sort of style should the essay have? Can it be a personal essay where you can use phrases like " In my opinion Descartes..." ?

The only reason that I'm asking this is because no one seemed to mention this in any lecture or in any tutorial.

Thank you to whoever finds the time to answer!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

1. No, you must do at least one question in each section, and the sections are Hobbes/Rousseau and Descartes/Berkeley. So you could do two questions on Rousseau, but you must do one question on either Descartes or Berkeley.

2. This depends on the person but going by how much I managed to write in my first exam I reckon between 700-800 words per answer.

3. I don't think there is harm in doing this however one thing that was specifically mentioned was to add criticisms on the philosophy and responses on those criticisms by the respective philosopher.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

ghostblake wrote: »
    Just joined Boards to talk with some people about this upcoming exam next Monday.
    I have a few questions towards people who know what they're talking about;

2. How long does each essay have to be with respect to time? We have 2 hours so 3 essays. 120mins / 3 = 40 mins? But how much are you expected to write in 40mins?

3. What sort of style should the essay have? Can it be a personal essay where you can use phrases like " In my opinion Descartes..." ?

The only reason that I'm asking this is because no one seemed to mention this in any lecture or in any tutorial.

Thank you to whoever finds the time to answer!

It's an academic essay, so attempt to keep 'In my opinion' to a minimum (i.e. it's not meant to be your opinion, it's supposed to be an argument that can be substantiated). PM me if you want me to give you an informal breakdown of Hobbes' Rousseau's and Descartes' main ideas.

Oh Descartes... your deus ex machina was so awfully silly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

In viewing the past papers it seems a common thread is to provide an account of a particular work/philosophy and then provide a criticism of it yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ghostblake

It would be reasonable if they would provide at least some sort of sample answer with the papers. I know they don't have to do that but it would be simpler?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Is Tim Mooney still doing this? The notes he gave when I did this module were excellent. I basically just regurgitated them in the exam with a few criticisms thrown in and got an A.

Anyway, I wouldn't be afraid to express your own views. In my experience that was encouraged in first year philosophy as it shows you understand the material, which is the main thing they want to see.

• Advertisement
Advertisement