Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bell box "chirping"

• 10-12-2011 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

I have an Aritec cs350 alarm and the outside alarm bell box (photo below) is "chirping" every five or ten minutes. But there's no message on the button panel.

It's been suggested that the chirp could be because the battery in the bell box is not connected or maybe was never connected?

But I understand also that the battery in the control panel itself only last 10 years and should be replaced anyway. Is that right? Anybody know where I can get one of those please and instructions on how to fit it - without the alarm going off permanently! Could that be causing the outside chirping too I wonder?

Thanks very much for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

There is a backup battery in the bellbox as well, in case someone tries to cut the wires to it.

Sounds like the battery needs to be replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭altor

I have an Aritec cs350 alarm and the outside alarm bell box (photo below) is "chirping" every five or ten minutes. But there's no message on the button panel.

It's been suggested that the chirp could be because the battery in the bell box is not connected or maybe was never connected?

But I understand also that the battery in the control panel itself only last 10 years and should be replaced anyway. Is that right? Anybody know where I can get one of those please and instructions on how to fit it - without the alarm going off permanently! Could that be causing the outside chirping too I wonder?

Any global sabb will work with your system. The pyronix bell is also a must to have a look at. I would think it is a fault with the bell that is causing chirp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Sounds like a faulty bell but could also be a tamper issue
    Tbh haven't come across that issue with those bells
    Igt in lucan will sell you an exact replacement

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Hi everyone,

I have a HKC 812 Securewatch alarm installed last June 2010. Today I pressed 0*5 User Check and put in my code, of curiosity. So this morning I armed the system 0#4 and left for the day. I came back this evening and noticed that there was only one light flashing, the one on the left hand side of the siren. Normally there's two lights flashing but not now, and I did the 0*5 user check again and its still the same. I don't have the engineer code, but its not engineer locked when it was installed. I checked the user logs and its all normal.

Anyone know what's up with this? I didn't bother having a maintenance contract by the way, but it is hardly the LED blown at this stage? When I bought the system, I know that the Temporary User never worked and it was a bug in the system, according to HKC, maybe there is some other bug? Is it possible to have the software updated?

Thanks in advance

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I doubt its a bug.Its also nothing to do with what way the system is armed or what status the alarm is in. Its more than likely the led is gone in the unit. It shouldn't be in such a shrt time though.I would be looking for a replacement.
    PS why did you go for a securewatch when you could have had the newer securewave for near enough the same price?

• Advertisement

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I have a HKC 812 Securewatch alarm installed last June 2010. Today I pressed 0*5 User Check and put in my code, of curiosity. So this morning I armed the system 0#4 and left for the day. I came back this evening and noticed that there was only one light flashing, the one on the left hand side of the siren. Normally there's two lights flashing but not now, and I did the 0*5 user check again and its still the same. I don't have the engineer code, but its not engineer locked when it was installed. I checked the user logs and its all normal.

Anyone know what's up with this? I didn't bother having a maintenance contract by the way, but it is hardly the LED blown at this stage? When I bought the system, I know that the Temporary User never worked and it was a bug in the system, according to HKC, maybe there is some other bug? Is it possible to have the software updated?

Thanks in advance

That is correct re the temporary user, it never worked :D
    The external bell LEDs as such would not be controlled by the alarm, they either work or they dont. I have never seen the LEDs on a HKC external bell last less than the time you have them installed. There is not a bug in there system that would have any effect on your bell box. It would be bad luck more so than anything.

The system software can be updated at anytime depending on the current software you have on your system.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

altor wrote: »
    That is correct re the temporary user, it never worked :D
    The system software can be updated at anytime depending on the current software you have on your system.

I still have the sheet that came with the control panel. The version is V7.39- could I have the software updated?
    [QUOTE=KoolKid;75936431I would be looking for a replacement.
    PS why did you go for a securewatch when you could have had the newer securewave for near enough the same price?[/QUOTE]

Looking for a replacement LED I presume. I bought the system in April and it was never suggested.:rolleyes: But we never needed it anyway, as the house is wired., although I'm sorry I never bought it.

V7.40 is the latest available. You would not need it upgraded from V7.39.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

altor wrote: »
    Any global sabb will work with your system. The pyronix bell is also a must to have a look at. I would think it is a fault with the bell that is causing chirp.

Sorry Altor. What's a global sabb?

Sorry Altor. What's a global sabb?

It is an external bell that can be used on a number of alarm systems. Not just the makers system, HKC, pyronix would be global SABBs.

• Advertisement

Thanks Altor and sf80. Sorry to be dense here but before I replace the whole bell I wonder is it worth trying just to replace the battery. If so do you know what battery this (Pyronix?) bell uses? And is it just a simple swap? As you can gather I know nothing about these systems and have a fear of the tamper alarm going off permanently when I try to replace the battery.

Thanks Altor and sf80. Sorry to be dense here but before I replace the whole bell I wonder is it worth trying just to replace the battery. If so do you know what battery this (Pyronix?) bell uses? And is it just a simple swap? As you can gather I know nothing about these systems and have a fear of the tamper alarm going off permanently when I try to replace the battery.

I would think the chirp is coming from the siren which could be the fault. The battery is there for if the panel is disconnected from the mains. The external bell will activate when you open the lid.

@Altor Is the siren the same as the bell i.e. on the outside of the house? (I told you I know nothing!) And are you saying that I must replace the whole outside bell box? (not just the battery?)

There is a siren indoors here as well which certainly does go off if the alarm is triggered.

@Altor Is the siren the same as the bell i.e. on the outside of the house? (I told you I know nothing!) And are you saying that I must replace the whole outside bell box? (not just the battery?)

There is a siren indoors here as well which certainly does go off if the alarm is triggered.

There is an internal bell and external bell. The outside bell would be activated also when the alarm activates. They are two seperate devices. You may just be able to replace the siren in the bell if that is all that is faulty.

@Altor Do you mean the battery in the bell? Where could I buy the right replacement battery and is there some trick to replacing the battery without the tamper circuit in the external bell going off? I've heard of "engineer" mode...?

@Altor Do you mean the battery in the bell? Where could I buy the right replacement battery and is there some trick to replacing the battery without the tamper circuit in the external bell going off? I've heard of "engineer" mode...?

Being in engineer mode will not stop the bell activating once you open it. Reason being when you open the external bell the siren will activate the tamper on it. It could be the siren in the bell that is causing the chirp. Replacing this first might solve the issue. They can be got for suppliers on the suppliers list here.

You will need to make sure what type is in your bell.

This is what the siren and back up battery look like:

Advertisement