Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help me name the photographer!!

• 10-12-2011 4:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

Im writing a workbook for college and there is a certain photographer that I am trying to remember the name of and for the life of me I cant. I could wait untill monday and ask my lecturer, its just I'm writing now and I have a workflow going.

I had a heated discussion about this photographer with my lecturer because I didnt like her work, I fobbed it off as being thoughtless snaps. Published images that look like she was just trying to end a roll of film so she could get the real stuff printed. My lecturer gave me a copy of her published works to take home and read which I did, and I was blown away. It stands that seeing a full body of work really does help understand the exact points that I didnt like about the work!! The book in question is not being published anymore to the best of my knowledge.

The stuff I remember... The main body of the work is from around 1980 - 1995 (roughly). Photographs include some pretty strong material, such as the photographer on top of a man in cowboy boots with his fingers adventuring around...

I have another image of a chap in his late twenties slapping a bigger woman in her 50's in the arse as she bends over to talk to an older man sitting in an armchair.

There are a series of images that she took of skinheads in london. One of them is a skinhead skanking, another was of a couple of skin heads sitting around... Another is one asleep on an armchair with a bottle of jack daniels.

There is also a portrait of her friend sitting against the wall of a newyork rooftop.

There is a self portrait of her with a black eye. She has a curly 80's perm.

Sorry this is vague, but its all I can think of. I will bang my head against the wall untill i remember the name.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

Nan Goldin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

we have a winner.

im going to proceed with curling up into a fetal position and crying in a corner.

Thanks for that.

On a side note, what do you think of Nan Goldin's work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Yup, the ballad of sexual dependency. She feckin rocks..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Definitely her work is more interesting and stirs more interesting discussion, than pictures of swans and rocks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

depends on what the swans are doing to the rocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

red_ice wrote: »

On a side note, what do you think of Nan Goldin's work?
    Her HDR stuff is shít

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

another plus for Nan Goldin - what is it about emotional pain and good photography - is it necessary to suffer ?

Advertisement