Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meteor : iPhone 4s : Reception.

• 10-12-2011 4:31pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I had my iphone 4 on meteor for nearly 12 months, and it was flawless, getting stupidly fast connection speeds, circa 6mbps.

Got my iPhone 4s, and it was fine, but the last two weeks the connection is pretty dire, it says i have 5 bars of 3g, but it wont load apps or webpages.

I've done pretty much everything, reset network settings, set the phone up fresh as a new phone, and it's still the same.

Meteor are now saying that i'm living 20kms away from the mast, and that i can cancel the contract due to connection issues, but they want 1100euro for the pleasure, where do i stand here? surely that can't be the case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

See the below mate

http://forums.meteor.ie/index.php?showtopic=2774&st=0#entry15562

Regarding the contract, I am not sure. Someone else here may know though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

my partner just signed up to two yrs contract with meteor, got this free i phone, i dont agree with the two yrs contract as it all seems too good to be true, my partner has to pay a set amount per month for the two yrs, for so many minuits, bit what i am afraid of is, my partner is all the time on phone and i cannot see this working out , i am waiting for the wailing to start, i know it will as soon as my partner goes over the allocated minuits, and i have said it, i would not agree with signing into any contract with any provider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

eeloe wrote: »
    I had my iphone 4 on meteor for nearly 12 months, and it was flawless, getting stupidly fast connection speeds, circa 6mbps.

Got my iPhone 4s, and it was fine, but the last two weeks the connection is pretty dire, it says i have 5 bars of 3g, but it wont load apps or webpages.

I've done pretty much everything, reset network settings, set the phone up fresh as a new phone, and it's still the same.

Meteor are now saying that i'm living 20kms away from the mast, and that i can cancel the contract due to connection issues, but they want 1100euro for the pleasure, where do i stand here? surely that can't be the case?

The very best of luck to you getting away! If your with e-mobile or meteor and don't have the good sense to run as fast as possible away from them during the cooling off period, your fecked!

I got a bill for €68 for using 7 minutes and a few texts, even though i cancelled and returned during the cooling off period. Back with O2 and couldn't be happier.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

To be honest, i've not had a problem with meteor since i joined them up until two weeks ago when the 3g signal appeard to become flakey.

From reading over their forums, it appears i'm not the only person having these problems but what's worrying me is, they offered me a get out clause, why did they do that, if they are spouting it all over their forums that they are investigating the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

eeloe wrote: »
    To be honest, i've not had a problem with meteor since i joined them up until two weeks ago when the 3g signal appeard to become flakey.

From reading over their forums, it appears i'm not the only person having these problems but what's worrying me is, they offered me a get out clause, why did they do that, if they are spouting it all over their forums that they are investigating the problem?
    it seems they just suggested it to you, if they offerered to cancel the contract they wouldn't look for any payment bar what you used already

• Advertisement

Following another phone call with them today, i'm the only person reporting this problem(even tho I'm not) and now they are allowing me to cancel, without penalty.

But the thing is, I don't want to cancel, I just want the problem that wasn't there two weeks ago to be gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Why would you want to stay with them given the way they are jerking you around ?

Why would you want to stay with them given the way they are jerking you around ?

Because, for the last 12 months, they have been perfectly fine, and their tarrifs are great, and most of my friends and family are also with them, so moving to another network will be a major inconvenience at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Truck

Iphone4s does not work on Meteor, I have learned this the hard and expensive way!!

Apparently they are "working" on it, but in the mean time Meteor continue to sell it and say nothing!

Best stay clear of Meteor!

Again, everything is working fine today apart from the weather app.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Truck wrote: »
    Iphone4s does not work on Meteor, I have learned this the hard and expensive way!!

Apparently they are "working" on it, but in the mean time Meteor continue to sell it and say nothing!

Best stay clear of Meteor!

I don't know if that's entirely accurate. I'm on Meteor with a 4S and I haven't had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 wayne1976

Anyone having good experience with iPhone 4s on meteor ? I have been with three and their service was a disaster and I have managed to get of my contract with them. have been with meteor in the past and found them to be good but have heard some negatives about iPhone on meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

wayne1976 wrote: »
    Anyone having good experience with iPhone 4s on meteor ? I have been with three and their service was a disaster and I have managed to get of my contract with them. have been with meteor in the past and found them to be good but have heard some negatives about iPhone on meteor.

I had issues but now it's resolved as Apple brought out the new version of 5.01 a week a go which resolved any issue I had. In fairness I was the first to blame Meteor but it the end it was an Apple issue. Everything is working a 100% now

I had issues but now it's resolved as Apple brought out the new version of 5.01 a week a go which resolved any issue I had. In fairness I was the first to blame Meteor but it the end it was an Apple issue. Everything is working a 100% now

Thanks mac daddy giving me some confidence to move!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Ive got the 4S on meteor now since launch day, I had the iphone 4 previous and that was on meteor also.

I had to send the phone to apple for a replacement as some issues were annoying me, (battery, wifi synch, etc)

I never had a dropped call or message not send on the 4S.
    So im pretty happy with meteor at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

It seems to be pot luck to be honest with the 4S and Meteor.

First one I got was very bad, texts not going through, the No Service coming up etc. Meteor were useless about it, didn't have a clue.

Sent it back to Apple, (who are brilliant to deal with) and the replacement I have now (2 Weeks) is perfect. And no update needed, I'm on 9A405. Not one "No Service" or stuck text, even in very bad areas with one bar showing say and no 3G displayed.

So clearly there is something strange. I have a feeling the 32K sim issue is a factor. With networks that have 128K sims, there seems to no issues. You don't hear of major O2 issues like the Meteor issues for instance. It could be the way the sim is interacting with this new dual antenna the 4S has. It just seems to be pot luck.

At least Apple are very helpful. Under the law, Apple don't have to replace them. by law it is up to the carrier who sold/supplied you the phone on contract to repair it. Apple could easily tell you to get stuffed and contact Meteor. Of course if you buy the phone unlocked from Apple then they are the responsible ones.

That's what p***es me off about Meteor. They are not interested and are even breaking the law saying no refunds or exchanges. That is against every part of the Sale of Goods Act. Even within 6 months you are still entitled to full refund or brand new replacement if the phone is not working.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

im on 5.01 since the release date well before xmas.
    Is your standard weather app updating over 3G?

Mine is fine lately, only problem I'm having is the weather app not updating on 3G other than that, no issues any more.

Just got my 4S from meteor. Its early days but messages sending can make calls and data seems to be working okay so far. The weather app issue is not sorted out yet but I was aware of this as I had checked with them in advance. I use the accuweather app anyway its better than the native weather app.

the sign up process in the shop wasnt a great experience. Basically took up my whole day as they had to submit my application twice as they wanted a copy of a bank statement for their credit department i suppose they just wanted to confirm that the bank account info I was giving them was mine. I didn't have to give a security deposit so I guess it kind of paid off in teh end. Maybe they just wanted to be sure I was not going to feck off with the new phone.

I was with three previously and it was a disaster so lets hope meteor a somewhat better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i have the 3g weather app problem too, but other than that my iphone is flawless on meteor. if i need to know the weather i look out a window ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Rob C wrote: »
    It seems to be pot luck to be honest with the 4S and Meteor.

First one I got was very bad, texts not going through, the No Service coming up etc. Meteor were useless about it, didn't have a clue.

Sent it back to Apple, (who are brilliant to deal with) and the replacement I have now (2 Weeks) is perfect. And no update needed, I'm on 9A405. Not one "No Service" or stuck text, even in very bad areas with one bar showing say and no 3G displayed.

So clearly there is something strange. I have a feeling the 32K sim issue is a factor. With networks that have 128K sims, there seems to no issues. You don't hear of major O2 issues like the Meteor issues for instance. It could be the way the sim is interacting with this new dual antenna the 4S has. It just seems to be pot luck.

At least Apple are very helpful. Under the law, Apple don't have to replace them. by law it is up to the carrier who sold/supplied you the phone on contract to repair it. Apple could easily tell you to get stuffed and contact Meteor. Of course if you buy the phone unlocked from Apple then they are the responsible ones.

Its Apple who insist on this, as they won't allow anyone else to open up their phones for repair. They have always done the same for iPods, etc.

That's what p***es me off about Meteor. They are not interested and are even breaking the law saying no refunds or exchanges. That is against every part of the Sale of Goods Act. Even within 6 months you are still entitled to full refund or brand new replacement if the phone is not working.

Every Mobile phone operator has tried to flout the law on this, with their 3 repair rule bullsh*t and other swerves.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

whiterebel wrote: »

Just on that first point, what should be happening is Apple should be telling users to go to Meteor and for them to arrange the repair with Apple. That's the legal obligation. Let Meteor arrange the repair with Apple, arrange the UPS pick up, be in when UPS come back with the package, all that hassle.

But I'm actually glad to be able to liaise with Apple directly. I mean would anyone want to have Meteor as the middleman for a repair? I'd say you could add a week at least onto the schedule as they'd no doubt lazily take their time arranging the repair.

Advertisement