Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help please i am looking for a black iron fry pan

Options
  • 10-12-2011 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

hi the pan i am looking for is a black iron pan with NO non stick coating or enamiling. like those heavy cast iron ones but a bit lighter. with metal riveted handles.
    in the dublin area
    these are the sort that rust if left wet and need to be seasoned but in my opinion are the best long lasting pans available.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

have you tried homestore and more. i got a little one there before. otherwise kitchen complements in dublin city centre should have them

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

all i could see there was either non stick coated, stainless steel, or enamalled

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

did you try TK Max?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I have a set of cast iron skillets that I bought many years ago in Cork's English Market from the homewares store. They're far superior to any non-stick, heavy-bottomed pan you can buy in the normal stores. Yes, I have to season them occasionally but they're pratically non-stick due to regular use and minding.

It might be worth looking in that kitchen ware shop off Jervis St.

if you mean all rooms yes i did as well as arnotts who only had the enamled la creust pans. surely someone must have them in the dublin area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

I found these online the other day when I was looking for aluminium sauté/frying pans (which I still haven't found) - http://www.buycatering.ie/search.html?qry=black+iron&type=1 will give you a selection to choose from. If anyone's seen any plain aluminium pans anywhere, please let me know!

Edited to add - must be going nuts, cos I just found exactly what I was looking for on that very site!

Edited again to add - not going nuts, it was the €15.00 shipping that put me off, now I remember! Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Nisbets.ie have black iron deBuyer pans

http://www.nisbets.ie/Heavy-Duty-Blue-Steel-Fry-Pan/DL949/ProductDetail.raction

and from Vogue

http://www.nisbets.ie/4/Kitchen-Cookware-Iron-Pans-Vogue-Frypans---Black-Iron/c01c01c02c03.r10.1

Last time I ordered from them I got the free delivery without spending €100 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Shhh

Sweeney o rourkes restaurant supplies On Pearse st would be a good bet. They are Only open mon to fri I think.. It's a great shop and a lot cheaper than any of the places off grafton st.

What is involved in seasoning a pan?

If it's new, wash gently, rub with vegetable oil all over, heat till the oil smokes, cool, rub with more oil.. Use a big wodge of kitchen roll. Then each time after use, wash gently -( some say don't wash it at all) rub all over with oil again..

• Advertisement

Shhh wrote: »
    Sweeney o rourkes restaurant supplies On Pearse st would be a good bet. They are Only open mon to fri I think.. It's a great shop and a lot cheaper than any of the places off grafton st.

cool ill give it a look

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

I use lard or coconut oil, but any high heat smoke point oil will do. Oil the pan and heat until smoking, cool and repeat several times. Then oil and roast upside down in the oven for a couple of hours at 220C. Leave to cool and start using.

Any sticky patchs work themselves out over time,don't wash off your seasoning. A dip in hot water and mild detergent won't damage much, a scouring pad will set you back to step one!

I use the same procedure for cast iron and black/blue steel pans, will not go back to non-stick after looking in to Teflon etc. :eek:

a scouring pad will set you back to step one!

This matters!! Good point Deise Musashi..

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭katharinewheel

We got ours from Ikea last year for something like €12.

I can't find a link to the one we got. But i did find a link to a cast iron pan, although its more than 3 times the price we paid for ours and its a griddle pan with no handles, I suppose it might help if you can't find one somewhere else:
    http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/40083461/

That said we got our cast iron griddle pan from TK MAXX for €18. You may have to dig around in their cookware dept to find one though as everytime I've seen them in there they're always buried beneath a pile of other frying pans.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭katharinewheel

Alternatively there's this one on Amazon for under €30, that has good reviews -
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lodge-Round-Skillet-Handle-Inch/dp/B00008GKDG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1323939917&sr=8-3

Advertisement