Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Father-in-law's first anniversary

• 10-12-2011 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭

Hi,

Just looking for any advice here, it is a small enough issue in the context of a lot of the difficulties people on this forum are going through.

My wife's dad died last December 16th so the anniversary is next Friday. We got married 3 weeks later so it was an extrememly hectic time. All her family including her mother are in England, she is on her own over here family wise apart from me.

I'm wondering what if anything to do for her this Friday? Would card & flowers be a done thing? Neither of us go to mass but she would go, I could ring the local PP & get him to mention him during the mass.

She will pretty much try to go through the day as normal and not show any sign of much grief etc but I know she will be suffering.

Any tips at all appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think the best thing you can do is just be there for her. Ask her if there's any way she might like to acknowledge the day, be it with a mention mass, or whether the two of ye go somewhere together and do something, be it a walk somewhere peaceful, or a nice meal out or something similar.

I've found that the days leading up to the anniversary are almost worse than the day itself, you're remembering every little thing you did or didn't do around that time with them, so maybe just offer a few more hugs and talk time if it helps. Maybe getting him mentioned during mass, even if you're not planning to go, might help those around be that little bit more sensitive too. Either way, fair play to you for making some kind of effort for her.Look out for yourself too,xx

Advertisement