Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wasn't hugely impressed with this dealz place......thoughts?

• 10-12-2011 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

wasn't hugely impressed with this dealz place on william street, the new super big pound shop place. was in there friday and the place is big, but didn't really see anything to set it apart from any of the other pound shops....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭skyguy19

they were like vultures in there on friday, according to the people shopping there , there are grreat bargains to be got, I didnt see them to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Cherry coke. 4 for 1.50. Good in my book!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Limericks wrote: »
    Cherry coke. 4 for 1.50. Good in my book!

Me too :D and the Scampi/Bacon fries multipack..nom nom :p

Most of the food products are cheaper than Dunnes/Tesco

3litres of milk for €1.49..haven't seen it as cheap as that anywhere

In fact if they only sold cherry coke I would frequent there often! It is my favourite drink :D

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭SoCo2009

Cherrycoke wrote: »
    Me too :D and the Scampi/Bacon fries multipack..nom nom :p

Most of the food products are cheaper than Dunnes/Tesco

3litres of milk for €1.49..haven't seen it as cheap as that anywhere

I take it you like cherry coke then? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

SoCo2009 wrote: »
    I take it you like cherry coke then? :D

Was it my username that gave it away? :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Cherrycoke wrote: »
    Was it my username that gave it away? :cool:

"Who loooooves orange soda cherry coke?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

What the hell is cherry coke???!

BESman wrote: »
    What the hell is cherry coke???!

Cant-tell-if-serious-.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Picked up 4 cans of Pepsi 1.50 and a 8 bag of frisps for 1.50 plus 4 bars of choclater (2 bounties and 2 kitkats) 1.50, not bad at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Too many euro shops in the city. It will probably close down two of the smaller ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Yeah was in there today and it was jammers. Felt sorry for the €2 shop next door which was practically empty :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Don't forget that this place is massive in the Uk where they are called Poundland.
    Everything over there is £1 (funnily enough) while here they are charging €1.49 for the same stuff.
    Just another UK chainstore charging more over here than at home :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Don't forget that this place is massive in the Uk where they are called Poundland.
    Everything over there is £1 (funnily enough) while here they are charging €1.49 for the same stuff.

At €1.49, you could hardly complain about the prices now!

In fairness, the cost base here is also very different to the UK (wages, insurance, rates etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

You can when comparatively it should be about €1.25, or to cover the increased cost of business over here maybe 1.35. But a full 20% difference in price....

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

At €1.49, you could hardly complain about the prices now!

.....and yet apparently he/she is!

I only gave a wander in around it being honest. I was pressed for time and it was like the end of days inside there.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »

Higher wages, Higher vat, most of there stock is English so higher transport costs. So, for €1.50 you can't complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

So shop elsewhere if you don't like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i was in one of these dealz shops on friday, bought toothpaste, soap, reading glasses, and many more items, delighted with my lot, i think i made big savings thanks to dealz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Yeah was in there today and it was jammers. Felt sorry for the €2 shop next door which was practically empty :(

Me too, were you that scary looking cat lady?

Me too, were you that scary looking cat lady?

Indeed! :o I really keep meaning to post a picture in the 'Know your limerickans pics' thread... Here I am!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHuQbz6m1eRSJGTjgSEXWwPQByq6Bk6kRCBlZEBH08P6BdtY3u

Indeed! :o I really keep meaning to post a picture in the 'Know your limerickans pics' thread... Here I am!

Here's your chance so..

I would link you the thread but I'm way too lazy to go find it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

best thread derailment ever....€1.49 cherry cola...ugh...too expensive..uh cat lady...oh picture thread...ugh lazy...

anyways....i suppose ill check this place out when im in town again...what are the chances of it stocking large quantities of high quality mean for 1.49?

best thread derailment ever....€1.49 cherry cola...ugh...too expensive..uh cat lady...oh picture thread...ugh lazy...

Do your job and link the thread so :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jsd1004

You can when comparatively it should be about €1.25, or to cover the increased cost of business over here maybe 1.35. But a full 20% difference in price....
    The exchange rate is 1.30. We have higher minimum wage, higher VAT here amongst others. 1.50 sounds about right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

www.xe.com

The exchange rate is 1.17138. I was giving lots of leeway with 1.25.

Forfas calculated in 2010 there 5% was the maximum justifiable price difference there hould be. Include now the 2% vat rise and it 7%.

Working on the correct exchange rate Poundland has a 27.35% price difference

The exchange rate is more like 1.19 in real life - i.e. nobody actually manages to get the rate from xe.com - there is a markup from the banks. Also the rate was 1.50 - what is to say the euro won't depreciate against sterling over the next few months, so 1.30 or so say? This could easily happen and do you expect dealz to be repricing every few months to reflect this? The cost would be prohibitive. Some cushion needs to be built into the price and one would hope it would work both ways.

Also just a thought, are forfas going to be completely objective / independent on this, or do they have an interest in getting firms to be more competitive? Also, should we really still trust the research output and analysis from Irish state and semi-state agencies these days? :rolleyes::rolleyes: (Is that 3.6 bn down the back of the couch like?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Ok Folks don't shop in HMV, Boots, New Look, River Island and many many other stores because they are UK owned.

It's €1.49 and it is good value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

Best thing about the place imo is the cds/books section.

Some decent albums in there (not really to my taste but still) at the ridiculously cheap price of 1.49 , mostly chart stuff but some indie stuff also.

The books section is great too, once I managed to fight my way through the throng I spotted books by Harlan Coben, Ian Rankin, Bernhard Schlink (wrote The Reader) and several autobiographies. Plenty of Christmas present material for the people you don't particularly like and only consider worth 1.49 of your money.

Advertisement