Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wasn't hugely impressed with this dealz place......thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Skintwin

I was in there Friday night, and it's brilliant!
    Got my Dad loads of fiddly DIY stuff as part of his christmas present...a screwdriver with a light, glasses, an ice scraper, a measuring tape with writing pad, pen and spirit level, and (I know it's not DIY) they have HUGE toblerones for €1.49. They'll keep him and my sister happy.

There's loads of stuff I've to go back for when I have the car...baking tins, lunchboxes, christmas decorations, cd's books, milk....
    Feckin hell, they even do sandwiches for 1.49. Where are you going to get a cheaper sandwich in town?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭milkandsugar

Was in on Friday and thought it was great. Got lots of stocking fillers as well as a few books from santa for the kids. Only 1.49. It was fairly packed though. Would like to go back when it's a bit more empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

i was in there this morning and i just dont get what all the hype is about, its just another euro store as far as i could see... :confused:

Was in on Friday and thought it was great. Got lots of stocking fillers as well as a few books from santa for the kids. Only 1.49. It was fairly packed though. Would like to go back when it's a bit more empty.

I'd say a weekday morning would be your best bet for that!

Skintwin wrote: »
    I'd say a weekday morning would be your best bet for that!

em, twas packed this morning too... :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

xsiborg wrote: »
    i was in there this morning and i just dont get what all the hype is about, its just another euro store as far as i could see... :confused:

This is a good quality store, managed by a good company, with good brands at very good prices.

It is not a "Quicke Mart" or other silly 1980's stlye £ shops. This one will be around for a while I'd say.

It also too small. If anybody is in Blanchardstown head over to their one by Argos. It is massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭diol07

www.xe.com

The exchange rate is 1.17138. I was giving lots of leeway with 1.25.

Forfas calculated in 2010 there 5% was the maximum justifiable price difference there hould be. Include now the 2% vat rise and it 7%.

Working on the correct exchange rate Poundland has a 27.35% price difference
    You will never get the XE change rate. Banks, financial institutions, suppliers and distributors all have their own rates. In reality it's 1.20 (and far higher when it's the supplier/distributor) - and every company has to allow for currency fluctuations as invoices are usually credit lines and rarely paid up front on the date of issue. Another cost is transport - Ireland is one of the most expensive countries to ship supplies to in comparison to the UK and mainland Europe. You also have to factor in that everything in Ireland is far more expensive - rent, wages, rates, electricity, heating, general sundries, cost of living etc. Something that retails in the UK for £60 will usually retail in Ireland for about €75, and that's about right when you factor all of the above in.

Beer Baron wrote: »
    This is a good quality store, managed by a good company, with good brands at very good prices.

It is not a "Quicke Mart" or other silly 1980's stlye £ shops. This one will be around for a while I'd say.

It also too small. If anybody is in Blanchardstown head over to their one by Argos. It is massive.

851ac22e_d61912a9_cant-tell-if-serious.jpeg

they had all the usual staples mary's of limerick had back in their day, ok, i'd never seen the cherry flavored coca cola before (it actually IS branded proper coca cola! :eek:) but aside from that, yeah, milk, bread, were the only distinguishable items you dont find in too many euroshops...

aside from that they'd just the usual knick knacky bits and pieces, screwdriver sets, toiletries, and confectioneries. other than that i dont see whats so special about them.

on a side-note, the boss of poundland was on undercover boss UK veersion there on channel four a few months back, made for depressing viewing tbh, why they ever volunteered for the bad publicity i'll never understand... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

xsiborg wrote: »
    on a side-note, the boss of poundland was on undercover boss UK veersion there on channel four a few months back, made for depressing viewing tbh, why they ever volunteered for the bad publicity i'll never understand... :confused:

That was the boss of Poundworld.

They operate shops in the Republic as Euroworld which can be found in Tralee and Ennis and other places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

diol07 wrote: »
    You will never get the XE change rate. Banks, financial institutions, suppliers and distributors all have their own rates. In reality it's 1.20 (and far higher when it's the supplier/distributor) - and every company has to allow for currency fluctuations as invoices are usually credit lines and rarely paid up front on the date of issue. Another cost is transport - Ireland is one of the most expensive countries to ship supplies to in comparison to the UK and mainland Europe. You also have to factor in that everything in Ireland is far more expensive - rent, wages, rates, electricity, heating, general sundries, cost of living etc. Something that retails in the UK for £60 will usually retail in Ireland for about €75, and that's about right when you factor all of the above in.

Ok...you've just agreed with me then? Thats a 25% difference you've just made an example of . To use your example if i was to apply Dealz increase in prices it would be £60 in the UK and €90 in Ireland

• Advertisement

That was the boss of Poundworld.

They operate shops in the Republic as Euroworld which can be found in Tralee and Ennis and other places.

Poundland/Poundworld, reminded me of the film "coming to America", McDonalds/McDowells:

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Ok...you've just agreed with me then? Thats a 25% difference you've just made an example of . To use your example if i was to apply Dealz increase in prices it would be £60 in the UK and €90 in Ireland

After a certain price infrastructure costs arent as big a deal. It doesnt cost less to employ someone to sell a 1.50 item than a 75 euro item.

Look at it this way, if infrastructure costs were 50c per item + a percent for vat and this is just a number I picked out of my hat it would make sense that a smaller priced item would have a higher overhead on it when compared to a higher value item.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

For all the ladies here, there's Sally Hansen and Revlon nail polishes in there. Also Maybelline and Rimmel make up. They're all mixed up, so you have to have a good rummage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Limericks wrote: »
    After a certain price infrastructure costs arent as big a deal. It doesnt cost less to employ someone to sell a 1.50 item than a 75 euro item.

Look at it this way, if infrastructure costs were 50c per item + a percent for vat and this is just a number I picked out of my hat it would make sense that a smaller priced item would have a higher overhead on it when compared to a higher value item.

Thats a ridiculous statement. Any shop anywhere will sell far more cheap items than it will expensive items. In any case this shop only has one price point and that is €1.49. Which is 49% up on sterling. The last time i checked the exchange rate was 1.17. So lets say they are terrible at negotiating and only get 1.2 on exchanges. It does not under any circumstance cost 29% more to do business in Ireland than it does in the UK.

At the very most its 9-10%, which means their ripping off Irish consumers by that extra 20% compared to what they charge UK consumers. I am however very sceptical that there would be any difference in business costs for them because they surely were able to negotiate very keen rents for their Irish stores now that the market for commercial property has collapsed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Thats a ridiculous statement. Any shop anywhere will sell far more cheap items than it will expensive items. In any case this shop only has one price point and that is €1.49. Which is 49% up on sterling. The last time i checked the exchange rate was 1.17. So lets say they are terrible at negotiating and only get 1.2 on exchanges. It does not under any circumstance cost 29% more to do business in Ireland than it does in the UK.

At the very most its 9-10%, which means their ripping off Irish consumers by that extra 20% compared to what they charge UK consumers. I am however very sceptical that there would be any difference in business costs for them because they surely were able to negotiate very keen rents for their Irish stores now that the market for commercial property has collapsed.

Your not reading my posts right at all. First of all I said I pulled that number out of my hat as an example, Secondly it costs the same to ship a expensive item of the same size and weight as it does a cheap item of the same size and weight.

They are spending the same money on sending cheap items so the cost of shipping doesnt get lost as easily in the small price. You say they are ripping us off? It's a simple fact, they pay more for employees, they pay more in tax, they pay more in vat, they pay more in shipping, they pay more in electricity, they pay more in rent and they pay more in rates (Which Limerick has insanely expensive ones)

As has been said already, XE exchange rate isn't the bank exchange rate it is market exchange rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Actually based on your example - a currency rate of 1.20 and a cost difference of 10%, yielding a 'fair' retail price in your eyes of €1.32 (i.e. 110% of €1.20) - this only represents a 12.9% mark-up with a selling price of €1.49 (17c/1.32) - not 20% as you indicate.

Edit: I also forgot about the 3 percentage point difference in VAT which lessens the mark-up to below 10%

£1 shops became €2 store and these guys are €1.49

I'd be happier spending €1.49 for a brand of product I recognise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The market may have taken a massive downturn but the rents and rates have not followed suit, and despite it making perfect sense to assume that a business would be able to negotiate very keen rates or rent in the current climate, the reality is that is simply not happening in the Irish market to any great degree with many site owners seemingly happy to see their properties sit idle rather than take any cut in what they want in terms of rent.

As for Dealz ripping off Irish consumers in terms of the exchange rate, the Irish overheads are far higher than their UK counterparts which does have an impact upon the price here as many have already pointed out. It would not make up all the difference in the price here compared to the UK, but it does make up a fair chunk of it.

However if people think it is bad now, potentially it could get a lot worse pending the result of the UK's recent move with regards to the EU treaty change proposals.

Beer Baron wrote: »
    £1 shops became €2 store and these guys are €1.49

I'd be happier spending €1.49 for a brand of product I recognise.

At the end of the day this is the deciding factor. If the store sells the same in demand products at a lower price than other shops in the same city/catchment area, then it will do good business and people will be happy to shop there regardless of what price the same chain sells items for in another country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭adaminho

Chris Jericho around the world in spandex book for €1.49, bargain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭susita06

I was highly impressed I must say. Yes, they do stock the usual random things like normal two euro shops but the selection of sweets, drinks, crisps(they had real taytos for that price:D ) and also the toiletries was very good. Bought a couple of shampoo's and other toiletries that would , in general, cost 20-30 euro in dunnes for under fifteen euro!

it was quite busy when i was there so I didn't get much of a chance to look at the books or cd section but what i did see looked impressive! Will definately be looking there again!:D

bag of chocolate honeycomb for 1.49...tere's my study food sorted. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

THEY SELL PORK SCRATCHINGS!!!! /newly dedicated customer

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    THEY SELL PORK SCRATCHINGS!!!! /newly dedicated customer

I bought the bag of Scampi/Bacon Fries. Bacon fries nyom. Scampi..............well they taste of Scampi. I should have figured that. Blurgh. :(

adaminho wrote: »
    Chris Jericho around the world in spandex book for €1.49, bargain!

Already have it, but that is a cracking price and about a tenth of what I paid for my copy a few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭adaminho

Kess73 wrote: »
    Already have it, but that is a cracking price and about a tenth of what I paid for my copy a few years back.

Have it myself but at that price for hardback I know at least one present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

it is great to hear everyone so happy with the dealz shop, i love the place also, could browse around for an hour and come away with great items at nice prices, i am looking forward to going to the one in blancherdstown as someone mentioned here that one is huge, looking forward to that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

I was in there today. CHERRY COLA woohooooo. :D

I couldnt believe the price of the milk..got a few (could only carry a few :()

The other night we were on a nostalgia trip and I got a longing for Caramac bars..yes they had them. 2nd woohooo of the day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

gonna go in tomorrow and c again, last time was a flying trip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

ok so i went in, had a good nose around and still think it's ok-ish but it's not epic like. for instance i didn't see any christmas lights in there, while the other large discount store on william street has plenty.

i did buy a pepper grinder and a can of cherry cola (bloody sweet, how can people drink so much of it???) and the guy at the till charged me €2.98. he did at the time tell me that i could have 4 (or maybe 5?) cans for €1.49....but i assumed (i know, shouldn't have assumed) that it would be like other discount stores and i would pay a little more than 1/4 of the price, i.e. €1.49/4 = 37c. Not so; i was charged the full €1.49, which i think is a bit sh1t.

Advertisement