Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant Responsibilities

Options
  • 10-12-2011 6:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭

I am renting a house out and have had no hassle from tenant. I am just wondering how much should a tenant be expected to do in the house. Very basic things after they have been living there for a while, like change a bulb or check smoke alarms are working. Should tenants be expected to do things like this or is EVERYTHING the responsibility of the landlord?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I'm no expert but have rented for years.
    I would always look after the little things like bulbs/ smoke alarms/ bleeding radiators etc. by myself. I suppose the tenant is the one "using" the bulbs and smoke alarms so it would be up to them to sort them out.

I also know that I would be sitting in the dark a long time if I had waited for any of my previous landlords to come change a bulb for me!

If anything is broken I'll go to the landlord but that's about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

When I was renting, I had to go to my landlord for everything.

When the light bulb in my room broke I had to wait for him to fix it (partly my fault it took a bit longer than it should have), but I wasn't allowed to change the bulb myself.

I am assuming it is because there was a shade around the light which was screwed on, I could be wrong of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

spindizzy wrote: »
    check smoke alarms are working
    If I owned the place, I'd ask the tenant could I pop over to ensure the smoke alarm works every four to six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

In fact we know more about how eg the water system works here than the landlord does..

He is great at getting plumbers etc in.

The only thing I need help with is the bulb on the stairs as it is too high to reach.

Advertisement