Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC GSM Box

• 10-12-2011 6:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

Hi i got a HKC alarm installed and i now have a gsm box connected. the guy that fitted it gave me a form to fill in for a direct debit every month €10 for the hire of the sim,its through some security company in dublin. i said i wanted to put my own sim in and top it up myself as all i want is a text to tell me if alarm is going off. He tell me that the sim in the unit is not normal that its a chip and i wouldnt be able to put a noemal sim in. does anybody know can i get me own sim. im in kilkenny

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Total rubbish & it looks like he is ripping you off.
    €10 a month? Your never going to use up that. Get a ready to go SIM . It will work fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭fiestaman

KoolKid wrote: »
    Total rubbish & it looks like he is ripping you off.
    €10 a month? Your never going to use up that. Get a ready to go SIM . It will work fine.

Thanks i thought that alright. will i need him or can i change it myself. do i just get the card top it up and put it in or does it have to be programmed into the alarm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Just stick a ready to go sim card in it.
    That contract that the installer asked you to sign is just another money spinner for HK C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭altor

Jnealon wrote: »
    That contract that the installer asked you to sign is just another money spinner for HK C

Providing a service is now classed as a money spinner :confused:

fiestaman wrote: »
    Thanks i thought that alright. will i need him or can i change it myself. do i just get the card top it up and put it in or does it have to be programmed into the alarm?

If you have not returned the direct debit then simply get yourself a ready to go sim. Register the sim on line so you can top it up and check the credit. To keep the sim active then just activate the alarm every couple of months. Some providers will allow a top up of €5 as a minimum but check what is the best signal for the GSM.

The alarm will have being set up by the installer already, so changing over the sim is all that is required. The most important thing to do is down power the GSM before changing the sim over.

• Advertisement

altor wrote: »
    If you have not returned the direct debit then simply get yourself a ready to go sim. Register the sim on line so you can top it up and check the credit. To keep the sim active then just activate the alarm every couple of months. Some providers will allow a top up of €5 as a minimum but check what is the best signal for the GSM.

The alarm will have being set up by the installer already, so changing over the sim is all that is required. The most important thing to do is down power the GSM before changing the sim over.

Thanks. i know id be getting a service but its not monitered so thats why i dont want to sign into a contract. will i just kill the power in the house and then swith over. turn back on and then automatically if alarm goes off it should txt me?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Turning off the mains wont do it . The unit will be powered by the back up battery.

Thanks. i know id be getting a service but its not monitered so thats why i dont want to sign into a contract. will i just kill the power in the house and then swith over. turn back on and then automatically if alarm goes off it should txt me?

Yes, turn off the mains, open the control panel and disconnect the back up battery before changing over the sim card.

Yes, turn off the mains, open the control panel and disconnect the back up battery before changing over the sim card.

Sorry again,is the back up battery in the keypad or the gsm box. To register the sim do i just go onto vodafone website if i get vodafone sim?

Sorry again,is the back up battery in the keypad or the gsm box. To register the sim do i just go onto vodafone website if i get vodafone sim?

The battery is located in the control panel. Depending on the GSM you have there might be a battery in there. The White GSM-P does not contain one.

That's correct, buy the sim and put it in your phone to receive the password that will give you access to the sim on line. Also take the sim lock off before installing in the GSM.

• Advertisement

Providing a service is now classed as a money spinner :confused:
    You're confused, is he providing this service for free
    FYI, A "Money spinner" is "a business or product that makes a lot of money for someone"

You're confused, is he providing this service for free
    FYI, A "Money spinner" is "a business or product that makes a lot of money for someone"

HKC provide the service. It is not forced on the customer by HKC. If it was then I would say it is a money spinner for them as you say but in reality it is not as any sim can be used with the GSM.

HKC provide the service. It is not forced on the customer by HKC. If it was then I would say it is a money spinner for them as you say but in reality it is not as any sim can be used with the GSM.

That would be pressure selling then:confused:
    As I said in my previous post A "Money spinner" is "a business or product that makes a lot of money for someone"

Would you not consider telling lies that no other sim will work in the unit forcing it on the customer.?

That would be pressure selling then:confused:
    As I said in my previous post A "Money spinner" is "a business or product that makes a lot of money for someone"

Yes it would but that is not the case here.

O2 provide the sim for the unit, I am sure HKC would have some sort of deal regarding the sim. It is up to the customer if they want to take up the contract, same with a bill phone or ready to go phone with the different service providers.

Providing a service is something we all do in this business or any other business.
    Must make us all money spinners then.

Would you not consider telling lies that no other sim will work in the unit forcing it on the customer.?

Yes I would and it is a disgrace.

That is the installer trying to pull the wool over the OP eyes, no one else.

Yes it would but that is not the case here.

O2 provide the sim for the unit, I am sure HKC would have some sort of deal regarding the sim. It is up to the customer if they want to take up the contract, same with a bill phone or ready to go phone with the different service providers.

Providing a service is something we all do in this business or any other business.
    Must make us all money spinners then.
    All I know is I replied to the op at the start of this thread and now I am explaining commonly used phrases of the English language to you:confused:
    You really know how to derail threads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

I'm sure we're all agreed that the blame is with the cowboy installer for trying to force the HKC direct debit on to the OP when that isn't needed.

Maybe it's the cynic in me, but would the installer be in line for a commission if the customer signs up for the direct debit?

Yes, it would be in this case. He is not trying to make a fast buck with the price he is giving to the customer in all fairness to him.

edanto wrote: »
    I'm sure we're all agreed that the blame is with the cowboy installer for trying to force the HKC direct debit on to the OP when that isn't needed.

Maybe it's the cynic in me, but would the installer be in line for a commission if the customer signs up for the direct debit?

No, it's just a case of the installer not having a clue

• Advertisement

Not asking for to name him.( please don't) but was this guy licensed?

Not asking for to name him.( please don't) but was this guy licensed?

Yes he is licensed he gave me cert for insurance and stuff, hes well known in my area, he used to be an electrition. I presume as the lads said that he would get commison if i signed up. he left the GSM box packaging in the house and it states on the box that the sim would be deactivated if you didnt fill in the particulars and send them back to a security company in dublin. sim is active until 6/1/12 so il get me own before then. I still cant believe he tried it though.

I have no problem worth him offering you the service. It's a handy option. Abiet an expensive one . However, to blatantly lie and tell you any other sim won't work is disgraceful. You are supposed to trust this guy with your security. How can you when you can't trust him to tell you the truth on something this simple. Find another company you can trust would be my advice.

I presume as the lads said that he would get commison if i signed up.

He is not getting commission on the price he gave you. In all fairness to the guy he probably did not know how it worked. Replacing the sim with one of your own will do the same job.

In all fairness to the guy he probably did not know how it worked.

Any installer really should know any sim will do...

Any installer really should know any sim will do...

He clearly did not.

Like I said
    You are supposed to trust this guy with your security. How can you when you can't trust him to tell you the truth on something this simple. Find another company you can trust would be my advice.

Its either lies or incompetence. Neither is good is this business.

Its either lies or incompetence. Neither is good is this business.

I am sure the OP is aware of this now.

Another cowboy caught out by Boards...;)
    Isn't the internet great?

• Advertisement

Big thanks to altor on this topic. replaced my sim yesterday and woring perfect. thanks a lot

Advertisement