Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with motherboard

Options
  • 10-12-2011 7:38pm

Friend dropped off his recent build to me last night as he was having issues with it. Problem started when he put a new stick of ram in and smoke came out of it when he switched it on. He instantly removed the ram and put a new stick in, I'm fairly certain that he put the first stick in the wrong way and forced it in.

Since then the computer is constantly restarting in a continuous cycle. I tried everything I could think off, tried a fresh stick of ram angling slot by slot, took out all nonessential parts and tried to boot the computer on. Took out the battery from the motherboard and still no luck.

Anyone experience anything similar or have any suggestions? It's an msi p67a-gd65 motherboard.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Friend dropped off his recent build to me last night as he was having issues with it. Problem started when he put a new stick of ram in and smoke came out of it when he switched it on. He instantly removed the ram and put a new stick in, I'm fairly certain that he put the first stick in the wrong way and forced it in.

Since then the computer is constantly restarting in a continuous cycle. I tried everything I could think off, tried a fresh stick of ram angling slot by slot, took out all nonessential parts and tried to boot the computer on. Took out the battery from the motherboard and still no luck.

Anyone experience anything similar or have any suggestions? It's an msi p67a-gd65 motherboard.

If smoke came off it, at a minimum the board is dead, hopefully only that is. Oh and by forcing it in, the broken parts wont be covered by warranty :(

I'm not sure if the smoke came from the board or ram, he wasn't sure. The board seems to turn on ok, the 6 LEDs at the top all come on and the power, reset, oc button also light up but I'm thinking blown board though there does seem that many of the msi boards fail on a similiar manner. Going to have to order him a new one I think

Advertisement