Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2012 Big Plans

• 10-12-2011 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I don't know much about all this kind of jiz. But I'll be brief and try to be as interesting as possible.

Trying for a big come back year on the bike for 2012. Raced at a decent level before so hoping I can get the old legs back! Hopefully I can keep everyone who's interested up to date on the status and training.

This definitely beats blogging!

Keep er lit!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Mark.Heneghan

So basically I will try and keep an eye on the watts and HR. And a focus is still on the long easy miles!

Mon; Evening Gym Session

Tue; 3.5hrs with 3 x 15min in the Big Ring with low cadence

Wed; Morning Session is 1.5hrs with 3 x13-15min @ Threshold
    Evening Gym Session

Thur; 3-4hrs Steady Endurance Spin

Fri; Evening Gym Session

Sat; Off

Sun; 3.5-5hrs Depending on the weather!

To help with the recovery I get weekly rubs lasting 90mins with Martin Broderick in Ballyfermot. €20 a session! Fairly cheap in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

So basically I will try and keep an eye on the watts and HR. And a focus is still on the long easy miles!

Mon; Evening Gym Session

Evening Gym Session

Fri; Evening Gym Session

Sat; Off

To help with the recovery I get weekly rubs lasting 90mins with Martin Broderick in Ballyfermot. €20 a session! Fairly cheap in fairness

yeah thats enough! Never mind the HR you should know that ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Mon; Evening Gym Session

Evening Gym Session

Fri; Evening Gym Session

Sat; Off

Wow!

Thats the sort of training effort some serious lads here were putting in come Spring this year. Fair play.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Wow!

Thats the sort of training effort some serious lads here were putting in come Spring this year. Fair play.

well he could be international class!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,156 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Mark, if this isn't a contentious question, which club/team do you expect to be racing with in 2012?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

That looks like your day job:D

morana wrote: »
    well he could be international class!

Well buddy

Easily know who this is! HR does knid of go out the window with me! Hows the form? You good? Hows wife and Sean?

Week of 28 November to 4 December, I treated it as a first of 3 BLOCK weeks.

Mon; 3.5hrs
    Tue; 1.5hr Spinning Class @ Winning Solutions and Scott McDonald.
    Wed; 3hr 15mins
    Thur; 5.5hrs
    Sat; 3.5hrs
    Sun; 3hrs

All of the long spins were done nice and handy, just turning the legs over really. But anybody looking to open the legs up should consider the spinning class's.

All in all - 20hrs, 350+ miles and 2 days in the gym. HAPPY DAYS

Week of 5 Dec to 11 December

Tue; 3hrs with 3x12min @ threshold watts! Painful is not the word!
    Wed; 1.5hrs - Testing out the new TT bike. Position, etc ec
    Thur; 3.5hrs - Miserable! Just wished the rain would f*^k off!
    Sun; 3hrs 45mins Steady!

So a handy enough week! 11hrs, and 2 gym sessions.

Last few days of horrible weather put a damper on trainng! One brightside..... Nice new tt bike. Giant Trinity! Will upload snaps during the week

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,932 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Hows the form? You good?
    Don't ask him - he's just won a (very cold and very wet) race today;)

Beasty wrote: »
    Don't ask him - he's just won a (very cold and very wet) race today;)

Awh typical him in fairness! The only way the misses has a turkey on the table at Xmas is the Christmas race. Was not the nicest of days for racing! But definietly a day for the hardy winter warrior!

• Advertisement

Awh typical him in fairness! The only way the misses has a turkey on the table at Xmas is the Christmas race. Was not the nicest of days for racing! But definietly a day for the hardy winter warrior!

I'm vegetarian!!!

Just remember to get the good recovery!

Well buddy

Easily know who this is! HR does knid of go out the window with me! Hows the form? You good? Hows wife and Sean?

all good!!

So basically with all of the training going on, as well as college, girlfriend, part time job, and life, it is paramount that recovery is taken as seriously as possible. For two reasons, (i) to manage everything life throws at me and (ii) to get the full benefits of the training I do.

Since starting the serious comeback I have focused on ways in which maximising recovery, in a realistic manner. (ie) something that conforms with day to day living.

Just for anyone who is interested here is 5 simple steps I take to ensure I am ready to rock and roll every day!

5 STEPS
    (i) After spins, I down a recovery shake. But not just a plain protein shake. I use PHD RECOVERY, which is a mix of carbs, proteins, etc etc.
    I get my supplements from Nutrition Connection on Capel Street.
    http://nutritionconnection.ie/goods-1417.html

(ii) A simple 10min stretching routine after spins, helps in my opinion to get rid of the lethargic feeling throughout the body after a long spin! I start with my neck, shoulders, back, TRICEPS, chest, groins, hammers, quads, calfs and glutes. I tend to work from top to bottom! and I spend a little more time on the legs for obvious reasons.

(iii) I get a weekly massage. Because of the gym sessions and the bike, i thought it would be important to add this into my diary on a weekly basis. A simple hour rub and chat can relax the body and mind, keeping me fresh and focused! I get my rubs done by Martin Broderick, a former all ireland minor winner with Dublin. €20 per session.

(iv) I make sure to get the right amounts of different food into my body each day, DEPENDING on the amount of training done in the day. Again this was done with the help of Martin Broderick. DIET is essential, so this was looked at and a plan was drawn up!

(v) SLEEP. SLEEP. SLEEP. Probably the most important thing. Several tricks. I usually get home from Jessica's(my otherhalf) at around half 10-11 each night. I refuse to watch TV. Instead a nice cup of tea, biscuit and a book. I READ A CHAPTER PER NIGHT!!!! This is one of the best ways to get a good nights kip for whatever reason. I also bought a Lavender cushion from Dunnes. Pop it into the microwave and leave it on the bed beside you for the night. Works wonders for me.

So there you have it. Obviously the more advanced would be able to write a book on recovery methods. But I feel as a normal bloke wanting to do well on the bike, that these are the simple things that work for me.

Cheers

Mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

Mark, great to see a log from someone who's been there before and knows what do so thanks for putting it up.

When you say 12 min @ Threshold, do you aim to hover around that number or do whatever it takes to make sure the average matches your threshold watts? Do you do this on a hill/headwind or flat roads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Seeing as we're asking questions... What does your gym work consist of?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

.... So there you have it....

impressive, simple and structured. btw what sort of stuff do you eat on the bike and how often ? Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Mark could you pm details for Mark please? Looking to get this done in the New Year on a regular basis.

Thanks man.

chakattack wrote: »
    Mark, great to see a log from someone who's been there before and knows what do so thanks for putting it up.

When you say 12 min @ Threshold, do you aim to hover around that number or do whatever it takes to make sure the average matches your threshold watts? Do you do this on a hill/headwind or flat roads?

I just try to stick to a certain number. Like in a tt. An effort that you can maintain comfortably!

niceonetom wrote: »
    Seeing as we're asking questions... What does your gym work consist of?

The gym work is really handy. Id spend around an 90mins.

SHRUGS for my neck and shoulders. 3 x10
    Dumbell Curl for biceps. 3 x 10
    Pushdowns for triceps. 3 x 10
    "21's" for my Biceps. Google this! Its effective. 2 x 21

Leg Extensions. I do one-legged to prevent imbalance! 4 x 10

Rows for my back. 3 x 10
    Latt Pulldowns for my back. 2 x 10

Leg Curl. Again all one legged. 4 x 10

Bench Press for the chest. 3 x 10
    Fly extensions for the chest. 2 x 10

Few Sit ups then at the end of the sessions.

Again. Simple!

seve65 wrote: »
    impressive, simple and structured. btw what sort of stuff do you eat on the bike and how often ? Cheers

Food on the bike. Whatever is in the press at home! lol.

I try to bring a gel or 2 (just in case).
    Then i make my own energy drink for the winter months.
    750ml bottle. Water. cordial. pinch of salt. and 2 tea spoons of sugar.
    Few nutri grain bars.
    And for the cold horrible days...... A bit of GALAXY chocalate.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Week of 12th Dec to 18th

Tue; 2.5hrs with 3 x 10/12min In Big Ring for power
    Wed; 2hrs Steady - felt a bit of a cold coming on
    Thur; 4hrs Steady with a few jumps on the hills around the lakes
    Sun; 3hrs Steady on the MTB - Had to beat the ice somehow! Along the canal tracks up to Naas and Sallins and back in by Kill and Rathcoole. A toughy!

2 days in the gym as well. A good week considering the weather, cold i had etc.

11.5hrs on the bike. 2 hard gym days. SUCCESS

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭piobhan

Intersting read this thread, fair play, What level do you race at? have you kept it up the last few weeks?

Advertisement