Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turkey

Options
  • 10-12-2011 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Used to always get a big turkey and I usually over cooked it. This year, I'm only getting a baby, an 8lb turkey, don't know if it's worth it or not. Anyway, can someone give me a fail safe temperature and cooking time please. I will just be stuffing with breadcrumb stuffing 'cos that's what the family love. I don't want any more cremations on Christmas Day.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

JB...a 12 lb turkey will give you about 6-7 lbs of breast meat....would you consider buying breast meat only boned and rolled turkey?......I've done that for years and have got perfect juicy meat every time...cuts well...no waste...You can then concentrate on making special stuffings and cook them separately....I'm not entirely sure will you be able to get an 8lb turkey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Already ordered from Superquinn. Decided on a small one due to the fact that we really prefer the ham but tradition dictates we also have turkey and (yuck) sprouts, also we are a small family this year so won't need a lot of turkey. On the other hand we can demolish 14 lbs of ham no prob.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

you could try brining the turkey in order to get a really moist one - there are loads of recipes if you search for them on brining. I've done it once or twice and the results are tasty although if you want to get crispy skin you need to brine it for 10 hours and then leave it uncovered in the fridge for 24 before cooking.

Use foil at the beginning of cooking to keep in the steam and juice, protect the breast with lots of bacon, and butter. Check temperature often.

I'd really recommend a meat thermometer - take the bird out of the oven before the thigh/leg area reaches 70 degrees (they take longer to cook) because the temperature continues to rise after it gets taken out. Cover with foil and maybe a towel or two (weird I know but you don't want cold turkey) and let rest for 30-45 minutes before you even think about cutting it.

Oh, and have you tried slicing and stir frying the brussel sprouts. They taste so much better. Slice each sprout into about 3 or 4 length-wise, heat 2 tablespoons of oilive oil and 2oz of butter in wok or large frying pan on medium heat. Add sliced sprouts and toss around for approx. 5 minutes. Crispy streaky bacon or lardons are a good addition, although I tend to add toasted pine nuts. It has completely changed my estimation of brussel sprouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

I recommend these thumbnail.aspx?q=1448582986483&id=369f28644b2ea548219514e634af14b2&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.shespeaks.com%2fpages%2fimg%2freview%2fReynolds_Oven_Bags-resized200_03232009101040.jpg
    Or something similar, works well you can fold the bag top down to get it a nice brown in the last half hour or so. I hope they are available to you, they work well for roasts and other meats too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thanks for all the advice. I have found in the past that completely covering the turkey just steams it and it ended up tasteless so I am just going to flip the turkey over half way through as it works for chicken. I just need to know the temperature I should use for a fan oven. Delia usually recommends several different temperatures all through the cooking and with everything else going on I'm apt to forget. I do think that basting is good for a juicy bird.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Jamie Oliver preheats the oven as hot as it will go, and then puts the turkey in, uncovered. Then he reduces the heat to 180 and cooks for 20 minutes per kilo. You could try that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Lablanc

Is this 20mins per Kilo or 20mins per pound??

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭louise5754

20 mins per pound usually isnt it?
    You know when people put streaky bacon rashers on turkey would you put them on at the start of cooking or half way through? Just think they would be fairly cremated if they are in the oven for 5 or 6 hours!
    Also what are peoples thoughts on preparing the veg the day before? We usually just have sprouts,carrots and parsnips but I dont want them to turn to mush if I have them soaking in water overnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

louise5754 wrote: »
    20 mins per pound usually isnt it?
    You know when people put streaky bacon rashers on turkey would you put them on at the start of cooking or half way through? Just think they would be fairly cremated if they are in the oven for 5 or 6 hours!

I'm no expert, but what I usually so is put bits of butter on the bird, then cover with streaky rashers, and foil. Baste the bird every 20 mins. With about 1 hr to go, take off the foil, leaving the rashers on, with about 40mins to go remove the rashers and let the skin brown.
    Also what are peoples thoughts on preparing the veg the day before? We usually just have sprouts,carrots and parsnips but I dont want them to turn to mush if I have them soaking in water overnight?

You can prepare the carrots & sprouts the day before, and put them in a sandwich bag, tie up, and leave in the fridge.

Advertisement