Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bierhalle

Options
  • 10-12-2011 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭

Anyone been there? I think it opened Wednesday night.

I was nearby on Friday evening and went and had a look at the menu. I have to say it looked very good. All the food was reasonably prices and there was a good selection.

For anyone who doesn't know, it's the new venture by the guys who run The Bierhaus (and it's right next door to the Bierhaus.) What they're doing is mixing beer and food to make a different dining experience to a restaurant or tapas places. I think they're going for something like The Bull and Castle and those kind of pubs in Dublin.

The menu looked like it had a great mix, and was quite reasonable. It ranged from traditional European nibbles like olives, cheeses, and cuts of meats, to more typical stuff like chicken wings and salads. As well as full dinners like burgers and fish and shellfish (and I presume Uncle Pete's has a hand in there with the pizza.) And the best thing of all is they're pairing all of this with their beer range. Over 100 beers I think, and the waiters should be able to recommend you what would work well with your food. And if you know your beers yourself you should be well aware of The Bierhaus.

So, was anyone in there over the past few days? What was the food like, and what was the crowd like? And most importantly, does anyone know if they do vouchers. That'd sort out a few Christmas presents for me quite handily.

Edit: Found their menus online:
    386299_317459751605487_313981205286675_1254244_1599287520_n.jpg
    374748_317459474938848_313981205286675_1254243_1003859201_n.jpg

And pizza available from Uncle Pete's I think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭cookie75

There are a few reviews on the beer forum sounds okay must check it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I've been there twice so far.

They have the whole Uncle Pete's menu, and I reckon they're one of the best pizza-mongers in Cork. The food I've tried from their own menu has been great too, especially the home-made chips and the desserts. Prices aren't bad either, and the staff have been really nice.

If you liked the beers on offer in the Bierhaus next door, you'll like it in the Bierhalle too. They recommend a beer to compliment each dish, and so far the choices have been pretty good as far as my tastes go. Certainly worth having a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

I think Uncle Pete's have the best pizza in Cork, to be honest. So great beer and great pizza sounds like a great night, that their other food looks so appetising is even better.

I've been mostly going to The Abbots Ale House for my beers, it's just an easier place to sit at the bar on your own. But I can imagine getting more people to go to The Bierhalle. And I'm currently waiting on a text from someone to see if we're going tomorrow.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I must pay this place a visit :-D

I was there Sunday evening. There were a few teething problems but I'm still definitely going back.

The problems:
    I didn't particularly like the beers I was given. But that's a risk you take when trying new styles and brews. Another guy there had the same beers and loved them. I'll try something else next time.

Two of us were splitting a 5 piece meat and cheese platter. We ordered four meats and one cheese, but we were given four cheeses and one meat. Then we were told that the only meat they had was parma ham. We didn't have a huge problem with this. We asked for a little more parma ham and some bread, and we were readily accommodated. The parma ham was lovely, and the cheeses were very tasty. I'm not a fan of blue cheese but the blue cheese eater said it was good. The Caerphilly was gorgeous, as was the soft cheese and cheddar (I think it was cheddar.) But full marks to The Bierhalle and the waiter for turning a bad thing into great customer service by bringing out the extra parma ham and bread without any quibbles.

The final problem was that the place was very quiet. I think there were only two other tables there, and one came in as we were leaving. This meant it lacked a little in atmosphere. Hopefully they get a lot more custom though, because there food was excellent.

I've already spoke about the cheese and parma, which were top notch, and so was my main course. I had the Moules Frites (Mussels and Chips.) The chips were ok, but the mussels were quite literally the best I've had in Ireland and better than most I've had abroad. There was a nice size portion of them for a tenner. The mussels were a good size and tasted like good mussels should. And the sauce was excellent, cream, white wine and onion all mixed together for a top sauce. I was seriously tempted to ask for more bread to mop the sauce up with but I felt that'd be a little too demanding for spending only €20 in there. I'm sure I'd have been accommodated, but I didn't want to appear ungrateful for what was a very nice meal.

All in all, I'd definitely go back. And I think I am doing such a thing tomorrow night. And that's definitely something I could afford when the food is relatively cheap for what you're getting, and other places would definitely charge more for what I was served.

Four thumbs up out of five.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

what opening hours am heading in town sunday and might drop in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Looking forward to checking this place out. lightly miffed there is not german Schnitzel on the menu, but with Uncle Petes next door you cannot go too afr wrong at all.

The Bierhaus is by far a better brew pub that the Franciscan IMO.

gimmick wrote: »
    Looking forward to checking this place out. lightly miffed there is not german Schnitzel on the menu, but with Uncle Petes next door you cannot go too afr wrong at all.

The Bierhaus is by far a better brew pub that the Franciscan IMO.

Isn't a brew pub a pub that brews their own beer? So the Franciscan is the only Brew Pub in Cork. The Bierhaus and The Abbots are just pubs with good beers, or craft beer pubs if you wish.

Also, it was just up on the Bierhalle's twitter. They're getting in Bratwurst and Schnitzel. And from the 19th they're opening at 12pm for the Christmas shoppers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Meh - you know what I meant :)

The addition of schnitzel and bratwurst is a winner.

I've been told I sound a little like a shill. I'm not. **** he's a ****, bollocks, ******, wanker tosser, arsehole, I've watched only fools and horses and thought it makes an ok Christmas show (in decreasing scale of offensiveness except for the last one which was a heart stopper.)

I just like talking about stuff that's interesting, or at least that interests me. I've been a bit taken by beer recently. The Bierhaus is good. The Abbots is good. The Bierhalle is even better. It could only be better if they had wooden tables and they served all the bierhaus beers all night (the male waiter got me a 5am Saint from the bar when I asked though. Unless he was tricking me with good beer.)

The food was excellent. I had scampi. Can someone tell me what Scampi actually is? I've heard it's lobster chopped up, diced and **** and made into a ball and breadcrumbed. The Bierhalle gave me battered prawn. A lovely light batter, no heartburn or anything, and prawn inside. Whole prawn, which wasn't what I was expecting. Maybe it's better than normal scampi because this actually tasted like something... Maybe normal scampi is better when you don't smoke 20 a day.

I had the meat and cheese platter again for starters, three meats and two cheese. The meat was nice, the Spanish type pepporini was ok, but nothing that would impress you, the garlic salami was lovely, a chef type friend said it tasted like roasted garlic. The Parma was lovely with the soft cheese (and bread, get bread, soft cheese parma ham and bread makes the dining experience. Slavering it all over the shop.). The most important thing is to ask the waiter for bread to go with your platter. You'll be stuffed by the end of the night (this is a good thing when you're dirnking 8% beer,) I don't think bread is on the menu, but making a little open top sammich feels so right.

Like I said, the prawns in batter were lovely, light batter... I forget to use the lemon and I'm sure that'd make the fish even nicer but if you don't like lemon then don't feel left out, the food is good. In fact I'm getting a little paranoid that they're cheating me somehow by using frozen prawns because food this good is a huge deal in recession Ireland (I've been boozing and ate'ing it up because I recently got a job and a dole payment prior to that and I feel like the King of England.)

The curry was nice. I'd like it a little more spicy, balance their wing dip (which was spicy, one sup after spicy, but still spicy) but I think the curry has to be spicier, as long as it doesn't lose the lovely dry taste (no pineapple in this mother****er!) It taste's like a Patak's madras, but lighter and with some extra (if you home-made curry fans get me.)

Their nachos for the cripples starter comes from a packet. Another guy pointed this out and thought the starter lost it's magic with such. I told him he was being an asshole about food (he's a food show viewer, cre(le chapeau)me fraiche if you know south park, the ****/blowjob machine, etc..)

All in all, I'm going back if this heartburn from boozing, (being a lardy bastard) and ate'ing it up goes away. I'll probably not go back when I run out of money.

(I read this back, and I feel like I'm being too positive again, but I'm listening to Steppenwolf (not Magic Carpet Ride) and somehow that makes this ok...

Their are definitely bad dishes on the menu. Their bratwurst bagguete looked cheap. A sliced sausage and saurkraut for €6.50, without chips (we did pay extra for chips, they're ok, my friends are big fans of them though.) But €6.50 for a roll is too much when you can get a hot (thai) chicken roll for €3, and especially when you're drinking it with a beer (which is something you should all be aiming to do, fancy foreign-type beer is good.) Also, the bratwurst baguette guy came late. Just after we ordered I added his bratwurst baguette to the order, because he decided to join us and was coming from his gym. Despite adding his order early enough, his roll came a bit late.

I'm not giving out ****e about them. I don't think they deserve that. Their food is generally really nice, especially for the price. There is probably a few things on the menu you won't appreciate (although this could be my lack of experience with the place.) All in all, while the beer is expensive (and our Cork served craft beer is actually more expensive than the Dublin served) the food really is worthwile. I would give out rakes about them, but this is definitely a food place worth going to.)

Also, could you thank my post if you think I should review other restaurants? I'd like to get my friends out to some, especially as they're not all night drinkers. Maybe having a nice meal with them makes me think the restaurant's food is better.

So yeah... If you'd like to hear more restaurant reviews from me could you thank my post.*

*My final note is... when you're eating with friends or family or something, share your food, taste each others food, it makes for great conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Four sheets to the wind but spelling, punctuation, and paragraphing present and in good order. A gentleman drinker! I tip my hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I went in town yesterday evening so made this my spot to grab a bite to eat and drink before heading home.

I must say i was very impressed the staff were nice and attentive, along with giving good accurate descriptions of the different beers.

The food was perfect food to go with nice beers , I had ribs to start and a burger for main , the Gf had wings and mexican chilli , all cooked perfectly no complaints there and went well with the beers recomended . Also had a brownie for Desert.

And best of all the price. 2 starters 2 mains 1 desert and 4 pints beer was €53 euros i will defo be going back , was great atmosphere in there warm and cosy.

It was also very busy at 8pm last night so hopefully thats a good sign for the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I've been there twice and I've been really impressed both times. Highly recommend the salt beef sandwich. Excellent value as well e.g 3.95 for the halloumi salad was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Goddamn it, this thread is making me want to go there. Must organise a babysitter for after Christmas and head in there. Hope they sort out the schnitzel soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

Heading there wednesday night for a few halves!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

I've been there twice and I've been really impressed
    both times. Highly recommend the salt beef sandwich. Excellent value as well e.g 3.95 for the halloumi salad was fantastic.

Now I'm interested: salt beef sandwiches and halloumi are two of my favourite things.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

food good, beer better! Looking forward to going, probably won't be until after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

I went last week, really liked the place

For some reason, In my head I expected something like the beer garden in the Franciscan with long benches
    I'd never been in the previous restaurant, so I'd no idea what to expect

Worked out €25 for an 'Italian Job' burger/fries - Bailey's Cheesecake desert
    and 2 bottles of Rothaus Pils which I was looking forward to more than the meal

Very relaxed place, good spacing between the tables so conversation doesn't spill over

Cute blonde waitress too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,881 ✭✭✭sporina

anyone know what their opening hours are for tomorrow night?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,881 ✭✭✭sporina

i had dinner in the bierhalle a few weeks ago - it was only ok - but plenty of room for improvement.

first of all, the place was freezing and the service was sooo slow - 50 mins waiting on food for 3 of us - burgers and chips like! One waitress is not enough.
    And, the waitress knew NOTHING about the wine or the beer - this is the biggest offense I found on the night. That is unforgivable for a place that sells foreign beers - staff should at least know something about them.
    The chips are devine. The lads enjoyed their burgers but I did not enjoy mine - but maybe it was just too heavy for me. I should have ordered something else.
    I think I would go back but only to have the pizza from petes and a nice beer.

I am only posting this as advice to be taken constructively by the manager etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Tried both the Bierhaus and Bierhalle for the first time last night and really enjoyed both.

Got the sirloin steak in the Bierhalle and it was fantastic. Got the recommended beer to go with it too which was a Knockmealdown porter and it was quite good considering I've never had a stout before.

The decor in there is really cool too, really great job on the tables. Service was nice and quick but it was fairly quiet in there which was the only downside.

Obviously it's early days but I found it really good and will make it a regular spot I think.

The lamb curry is really bloody tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Sarky wrote: »
    The lamb curry is really bloody tasty.

Yeah I was gonna go for that as it sounded good, guess it'll give me reason enough to return anyway :D

Also, I found the prices to be very reasonable. Got the steak which was huge, porter and Brooklyn Lager for around €23. Not bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Went here today as we were passing and I was wanting to try it. It was only when we sat down that we were given brunch menus. It was 3.15 but oh was hungover so was delighted with the choice of breakfast I wasn't particularly but we both got the full and it was fantastic. Was 9.95 but didn't include tea/coffee which we didn't realise until paying but as you can get free refills it would probably be worth it if you wanted lots of tea. :D Wasn't until we were paying that I saw brunch was advertised as 12-3, however no one was offered a menu other than brunch or uncle petes and it was after 4 when we were leaving. Staff were very nice and really liked the feel of the place so I will go back for dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've noticed that The Bierhalle is doing brunch on Saturdays and Sundays.
    Anyone try it?
    Any good?
    It's very hard to find a decent breakfast/brunch in Cork. The Sextant was very good but they stopped for a while and I'm not sure if they're doing it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Sextant are back doing brunch again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

I've noticed that The Bierhalle is doing brunch on Saturdays and Sundays.
    Anyone try it?
    Any good?
    It's very hard to find a decent breakfast/brunch in Cork. The Sextant was very good but they stopped for a while and I'm not sure if they're doing it again.

Read the threads at all much before you post?:D;) Read my post above^^
    Breakfast was really good, not at all greasy. Would go back again for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wonka

ate there a few weeks back. Thursday night. Only one othe table occupied. Ordered Moules Frites... then few mins later waiter came back out to say the mussels never arrived today. Should have been told beforehand. Also, was finished beer for a while... no service... had to go up and order it. to be honest, i can't see this place lasting. Doesn't even look like a 'Bierhalle' - more like a cafe. Just not what i was expecting.

Had the steak and eggs yesterday afternoon. Not bad, not bad at all. And free refills on tea/coffee are always welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

wonka wrote: »
    ate there a few weeks back. Thursday night. Only one othe table occupied. Ordered Moules Frites... then few mins later waiter came back out to say the mussels never arrived today. Should have been told beforehand. Also, was finished beer for a while... no service... had to go up and order it. to be honest, i can't see this place lasting. Doesn't even look like a 'Bierhalle' - more like a cafe. Just not what i was expecting.

Ha, the same thing happened to me. I ordered the Moules Frites and the waitress came back later to say they were out and I had to order something else. I thought the food was good but the service was woeful.

We had to pretty much send up flairs to get the waitress to come back to order more beer and actually had to go up to the bar to order when there were only 2 other tables of people there. They really need to work on their service if they want return customers. I was disappointed because I really, really, wanted to love it.

Advertisement