Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pharmacy

• 10-12-2011 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭

I haven't found any recent ones about Pharmacy so thought I'd ask myself:D I'm in sixth year and after the Trinity Open day, it's all I wanna do! I have a few questions though-how would you rate the course? How are the hours? I don't do biology-do you think this would hinder me in my (hopeful) studies? Basically, I'm looking for any possible information you can give me:) Much appreciated!:)

Comments

I haven't found any recent ones about Pharmacy so thought I'd ask myself:D I'm in sixth year and after the Trinity Open day, it's all I wanna do! I have a few questions though-how would you rate the course? How are the hours? I don't do biology-do you think this would hinder me in my (hopeful) studies? Basically, I'm looking for any possible information you can give me:) Much appreciated!:)

I didn't do the course so I can't answer the specifics about it, just in general. I know someone who did it as a mature student. He said the hours were long, 30+ per week, but that's the usual for anything science/healthcare related because there's always a large practical element whith compoulsary labs. You need at least HC3 in Chemistry, plus either Bio or Physics, so hope you're doing Physics if you don't have Biology. Bio is the type of subject you can 'catch up' when you're in college if you apply yourself and good to study. The points for Pharmacy are always very high (mid-500s) as I'm sure you know, so if you're good enough to get that in your leaving cert then you shouldn't have too many problems with your studies if/when you're in college.;)

That guy I know who did the course is running his own pharmacy now, it's his family's business and he's getting on grand so it is a rewarding career if you're willing to put in the work. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭MauraTheThird

Thank you for all the info:) I really love the sound of pharmacy and the more I hear about it, the more I love it. I am doing Physics for the Leaving Cert- no bother there! Thank you- you've reassured me in my choices:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Qualified from UCC in 2010. There are big chances happening to the education of pharmacy in the coming years. It's going to be changed into a 5 year integrated masters course (at the moment RCSI provide the MPharm). You won't be hindered by not having biology, there's a lot of introductory stuff in 1st year. We averaged about 30 hours a week by the way. I highly recommend either UCC or RCSI, their courses are more modern and relevant than Trinity's. I'd probably swing for UCC again if I had my time back.

Don't get too hung up on working in an actual pharmacy. As a pharmacist you can work anywhere between the idea of a drug right through to handing that to the patient. It's a great course with loads of variety (chemistry one hour, legal stuff the next) and perfect if you're scientifically minded. You can get a good bit of info from the www.psi.ie website and www.ucc.ie/pharmacy.

Wow Bleg! Thank you so much for the reply:D My main interest for pharmacy is the lab side of it so I'm glad to hear that aspect is good. UCC is my first choice(closer to home and has brilliant facilities) I'm really glad to hear a positive comment from someone with insider knowledge of the course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Wow Bleg! Thank you so much for the reply:D My main interest for pharmacy is the lab side of it so I'm glad to hear that aspect is good. UCC is my first choice(closer to home and has brilliant facilities) I'm really glad to hear a positive comment from someone with insider knowledge of the course.

Maura if I could give you one piece of advice, AVOID PHARMACY would be it.

The prospects are terrible. I have a relation involved in it and she is getting out along with a lot of her colleagues.

• Advertisement

Motorist wrote: »
    Maura if I could give you one piece of advice, AVOID PHARMACY would be it.

The prospects are terrible. I have a relation involved in it and she is getting out along with a lot of her colleagues.

Getting out of retail pharmacy or pharmacy completely? Sure I'm in a job that you wouldn't think a pharmacist would be doing but because there is so much scope with what you can do after. The prospects aren't that terrible either and in fact they're way way better than 99% of other scientific degrees.

Any question Maura just send me a PM.

You've an average of about 10 hours a week, throughout the 4 years in the lab I'd say. The curriculum has changed slightly though since I did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Niamh94

Maura, I'm in the same boat as you (sixth year, heart set on pharmacy) and I'm just wondering, are you (or any other readers) going to the pharmacy open day in ucc tomorrow? I think it should be very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

The prospects aren't terrible at all, but personally I find working as a pharmacist extremely boring. It's a good degree for keeping your options open and the prospects of getting into industry are as good if not better than any other undergraduate degree.

Unfortunately Niamh, I didn't find out about the pharmacy open date soon enough and missed the registration date. How did it go? Interesting?:D

• Advertisement

It was brilliant :D we had introductory lectures this morning on all the subjects and then this afternoon we made aspirin, ointment and did a case study on prescribing :) it looks like a really good course, definitely no.1 on CAO

It sounds really good! I had a huge chat with the girl at the Pharmacy table on the Trinity open day and it sounds like the perfect course for me. Dju think you'll be heading to ucc?:D

Ya I think so, might put down trinity further down though! The facilities in ucc are top class, and the lecturers are all really friendly and approachable (prob coz it was an open day)! Are you thinking of going there? :)

Definately! Loved cork when I went there, the course sounds brilliant and it's sooooooooooo much closer to home so there's no better choice:)

Ya I'm the exact same, cork is a much easier choice for me! What did you think of the trinity course by comparison? I couldn't make it to that open day :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I feel like I'm intruding on something...

Orizio wrote: »
    I feel like I'm intruding on something...

Sorry for making you uncomfortable ;P feel free to PM me MauraTheThird :)

Niamh94 wrote: »
    Ya I'm the exact same, cork is a much easier choice for me! What did you think of the trinity course by comparison? I couldn't make it to that open day :/

UCC and RCSI courses are far more modern than the Trinity course. The Trinity course is hard and you do a lot of irrelevant stuff. For example in UCC you do a 5 credit module on plant molecule biosynthesis and phytopharmaceuticals but you do 20 credits over 2 years in Trinity. The first year in Trinity is also more like a general science degree and not much is specific to pharmacy. UCC and RCSI both have specific pharmacy subjects from day 1 and most of the time it's just the pharmacy class being taught which allows for more focussed learning. For 3 modules between 1st and 2nd year we were taught alongside dentistry students but that was for general physiology and biochemistry.

bleg wrote: »

UCC and RCSI courses are far more modern than the Trinity course. The Trinity course is hard and you do a lot of irrelevant stuff. For example in UCC you do a 5 credit module on plant molecule biosynthesis and phytopharmaceuticals but you do 20 credits over 2 years in Trinity. The first year in Trinity is also more like a general science degree and not much is specific to pharmacy. UCC and RCSI both have specific pharmacy subjects from day 1 and most of the time it's just the pharmacy class being taught which allows for more focussed learning. For 3 modules between 1st and 2nd year we were taught alongside dentistry students but that was for general physiology and biochemistry.

Oh really? I guess because the ucc/rcsi courses are newer they're bound to be more modern! Would you avoid trinity if you were given the choice again?

You have to weigh up the pros and cons for yourself. I went to Cork and I'd choose Cork again. Had a great time.

Remember it's not just about the course. It's as much or more important in my opinion to have a good social life. I don't know much about the social scene in Trinity. It's something you'll have to find out for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Im in 3rd year pharmacy in UCC myself at the moment so if you have any questions hit them up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

^^^Likewise!, I'm in 1st year btw

Hi:) OP here. I was just wondering whether you had anything extra to add about Pharmacy? How's the course like? The hours? The male-female ratio? Anything I should know about the course?

Hey, I'll give my two cents so!smile.gif
    I would have to describe the course, overall, as tough but enjoyable.

At the moment, we have about 25-30 hours a week, including labs on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. (Full timetable is on timetable.ucc.ie -> Programme Timetables -> College of Medicine and Health -> BPharm Degree 1). We have a 9 o'clock lab/lecture most mornings, but the latest we ever finish is 5 (Except this Friday-6pm on a Friday!!!mad.gif!!)

Male/Female ratio->, I'd say its about 65-35% in favour of females (rough guesstimate)

We have 7 modules altogether, they are all in the book of modules.

On the pharmacy side we have
    1-Pharmaceutical Chemistry PF1101- Probably my favourite module and lecturers, sound all round, but also the biggest module, 15 credits. Has a wide variety of content, both in the lectures and the labs. Labs are basic enough, and if I can do them anybody can!smile.gif
    2-Pharmaceutics PF1008- The most pharmacy-ish module, a nice enough module and easy enough if you keep on top of the material. We have labs in this module as well, nothing to be worried about, a bit above LC chemistry level but they ease you into it so they're grand!
    3-Pharmacy Practice PF1007- Lectures are handy enough so far, lecturers are grand, and the labs are fine. Just you have to dress professionally in the labs, shirt, tie etc.., ->this module is mainly about working in a pharmacy, (something I have no interest inredface.gif) so it's all about the customer, and how to deal with them.

On the non-pharmacy side we have
    4- Anatomy AN1074- one lecture a week, 30% of the whole module is an online assignment in Blue Histology (ticking boxes,filling in blanks= easy marksbiggrin.gif), and the final exam is only an MCQ.
    5- Physiology PL1445- Fairly big module, lots of material to cover, about 5 different lecturers. Joint module with 1st dentistry as well. We also have physiology "labs", Computer Aided Learning (CAL) Labs, first thing on a Monday morning- these are the worst excuse for a lab, you sit in front of a screen clicking sh*t, if you're lucky you might get to take somebody's blood pressure (woooo!!!tongue.gif).
    6- Pharmacology PT1445- We only have this since Christmas, and it's a joint module with 2nd meds and dents, a lot of it I find is stuff you pick up from the other modules, so its handy enough, one Dutch lecturer is a bit mad though!tongue.gif. We have Pharmacology labs as well, which are also the nail biting CALsbiggrin.gif, of course we have them on a Friday afternoonfrown.gif, -these are mind-numbingly boring, click, *an hour passes* click, *another hour* click *mad rush for the door*smile.gif
    7- Biochemistry BC1443- Last but not least, Biochem. In with dentistry again, possibly the most boring thing known to man (Russian, monotone lecturercool.gif). A mixture of all sorts, acidity, protein structure, etc. Biochem labs are grand, once you can stay awake in these lectures, you should have a decent grasp of the subject!

In case you lost the will to live while reading that^ drivelsmile.gif (I hope at least some of it makes sense), I would definitely recommend the course! It is more time-consuming than most other courses, but don't let that put you offbiggrin.gif. I find I have plenty of time whether I want to go out, go to the gym, go to the library, have a shneakey naptongue.gif, whatever, so to sum up- DO PHARMACYbiggrin.gif

That was one of the best posts yet:) I love hearing how enthusiastic people are about it when I want to do it too! So you definately can have a soclial life? Is there anywhere you'd recommend to live in Cork as well btw?

Ah yeah I find I have plenty of time in the evenings:), or even if you want to go anywhere in the middle of the day, its only 20-25 minutes into town or 2 minutes on the bus, and wilton shopping centre is only 15 minutes from victoria cross.
    As regards accommodation, I'd probably just say anywhere around Victoria cross- there's Vic lodge, the village, farranlea, vic mills, uni hall(could be only for second years:confused:, I'm not sure),-> but imo it really depends on who your roommates are. They also say on the ucc accommodation website it's only 5/10 minutes to college from victoria cross, but I find you would want 15 minutes from vic lodge to the pharmacy building;)
    I'm in vic lodge, but my three roommates are all international students in their 20s- we get on grand, just I probably would have enjoyed it more if I had opted to stay with a few people my age I knew from school or if we had gotten a house together, but it really is the luck of the draw in student accommodation:) There's also Castlewhite (unreal location, about 2 minutes to Pharmacy building:eek:) but you have to share a bathroom, which could be grand or terrible, depending on your roommates,again.:p
    Your best bet for accommodation advice is probably the sticky one at the top of the list^^:D
    Any more questions, fire away!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Nwynn

sorry to intrude :P i was thinking of doing biochem nxt year in ucc but now i think i'm edging towards pharmacy.. I love chemistry and think i'd enjoy the course, but i wouldnt be mad on actually working in a community pharmacy or anything.. Just wondering do many graduates go into the industry sector instead? :)

Nwynn wrote: »
    sorry to intrude :P i was thinking of doing biochem nxt year in ucc but now i think i'm edging towards pharmacy.. I love chemistry and think i'd enjoy the course, but i wouldnt be mad on actually working in a community pharmacy or anything.. Just wondering do many graduates go into the industry sector instead? :)

Oh you're not intruding at all, I think Maura has changed her mind:)
    I'd be hoping not to go into community pharmacy either, but a decent bit of the course is aimed at working in a pharmacy, mainly pharmacy practice and pharmaceutics. I haven't any figures on graduates, (might be able to root out something later hopefully), but as far as I'm concerned I'll probably try and work in a pharmacy for the minimum amount of time, get the qualification, and then try and get into industry in some way, and if I ever wanted to locum part time or anything I would be qualified and able to do it!:D Any more questions, fire away! I'll try and find some stats on graduates if I can:).

Palytoxin wrote: »
    Oh you're not intruding at all, I think Maura has changed her mind:)
    I'd be hoping not to go into community pharmacy either, but a decent bit of the course is aimed at working in a pharmacy, mainly pharmacy practice and pharmaceutics. I haven't any figures on graduates, (might be able to root out something later hopefully), but as far as I'm concerned I'll probably try and work in a pharmacy for the minimum amount of time, get the qualification, and then try and get into industry in some way, and if I ever wanted to locum part time or anything I would be qualified and able to do it!:D Any more questions, fire away! I'll try and find some stats on graduates if I can:).

I was trying to be studious:P:D Pharmacy is going to be tough to get into. Have you done a lot of modules in industrial pharmacy? That's the area I'd be most interested in tbh. What sorta work od you do in the labs? I just wanna make stuff:P What do you mean about having to work in a community pharmacy in order to get a qualification? I don't quite understand:o

• Advertisement

To tell you the truth I haven't even looked at what we have to do next year:o This year, chemistry is probably the biggest module, and probably the most related to industrial pharmacy/chemistry. The address here- http://www.thepsi.ie/gns/education/becoming-a-pharmacist.aspx
    covers the whole thing. At the end of the four years there's an extra pre-reg year before you can apply to the psi to become a pharmacist afaik.
    As far as the labs are concerned, we were mainly making up solutions, suspensions, gels, creams, ointments and the like (in pharmaceutics and pharmacy practice, so at least once a week:)), but in chemistry it was mainly titrations and experiments based on the lectures and the reactions we were studying at the time, nothing too taxing:D I'll try and find something on figures for industry and that and get back to ye again;)

Right here's a few links with some info about the sector in general, not sure if they'll be helpful but sure I'll post them here anyway:D
    http://www.ipha.ie/alist/careers.aspx
    http://www.ipha.ie/alist/careers.aspx?article=02b573ad-48f6-4449-857f-a37425d4eb66
    http://www.pharmachemicalireland.ie/Sectors/PCI/PCI.nsf/vPages/PCI_policy~publications-and-resources?OpenDocument
    http://www.ipha.ie/alist/industry-reports.aspx -> go down to working for well-being, some of that is interesting;)
    I hope some of these at least help a small bit, and another thing I do the odd time is just a search of any of the jobs websites to see what jobs are available in the area and the different jobs relevant to the course:) Keep the questions coming if you have any!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 highcream

Hi guys,
    For those of u who have qualified or are nearing it,do ye know how tough it would be to work in hospital pharmacy?Iv heard ireland is a no go for this but the uk may have opportunities.
    Did any of yer class go working in hospital?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tradchick

I qualified from TCD just a couple of years ago and several of my classmates are working in hospitals in Ireland. I think it's fairly hard to get hospital work but I know that a few of them are working on Masters programmes in the hospitals so that's how they got in, application was through TCD masters I think. Also, if you are willing to work in smaller hospitals around the country I think there's some work there.

Thanks for your help.Am surprised any of them got into hospital work here.
    May i ask,are these permanent jobs or once u complete your masters,do u apply to move up the ladder?I know there are bands in the uk,not sure about here.
    Overall,would u recommend the career?
    Climate seems very tough at the minute.
    Did many of ye get jobs?
    Id be mainly interested in hospital work over community or industrial work.
    thanks

Tradchick wrote: »
    I qualified from TCD just a couple of years ago and several of my classmates are working in hospitals in Ireland. I think it's fairly hard to get hospital work but I know that a few of them are working on Masters programmes in the hospitals so that's how they got in, application was through TCD masters I think. Also, if you are willing to work in smaller hospitals around the country I think there's some work there.

I'm in community pharmacy myself, which was what initially attracted me to the profession and I do enjoy it. The job is very varied and you can choose to be as proactive as you like in terms of holding health screening days, administering flu vaccines etc.
    I'm afraid that I don't know much about the hospital situation, I suppose that for the people in hospital pharmacy on a masters programme they will get jobs afterwards if the embargo is lifted and people are being hired again. I know a few have gone to the UK also and seem to have gotten work in good hospitals in London so UK employment scene must be fairly good.
    Hope this is encouraging!

I'm in community pharmacy myself, which was what initially attracted me to the profession and I do enjoy it. The job is very varied and you can choose to be as proactive as you like in terms of holding health screening days, administering flu vaccines etc.
    I'm afraid that I don't know much about the hospital situation, I suppose that for the people in hospital pharmacy on a masters programme they will get jobs afterwards if the embargo is lifted and people are being hired again. I know a few have gone to the UK also and seem to have gotten work in good hospitals in London so UK employment scene must be fairly good.
    Hope this is encouraging!

Ya,sure is.
    May i ask whats the story with pre reg these days,its very difficult to find placement from what i gather.
    Any of u guys head to the states afterward?
    Heard the licencing is a nightmare but thats where the big money is,they say

• Advertisement

Nobody ventured to the states as far as I know - can only imagine it to be a complete nightmare to get recognised license in. It's a bit of a pain for New Zealand and Oz and they would be along similar lines as ourselves so no idea what procedure is for USA.
    I'd say pre-reg placements are a bit of a problem alright as the RCSI require tutor pharmacists to complete a kind of course online and be assessed before they can be approved as tutors so tha is really putting off some pharmacists as it's alot of work. The whole process is under review as the course is being integrated into a five year programme, with two different 6 month placements I think over the course of the training so placements will be organised a little bit better I think if that is the case.

Cheers.
    If u dont mind,can i ask how thesalary is in community at the minute?
    Could u conceivably start on 35-40 k and move up to 50-60 eventually as a manager?
    Not sure what hospital is in ireland atm.Bout 30k starting in the uk afaik

highcream wrote: »
    Cheers.
    If u dont mind,can i ask how thesalary is in community at the minute?
    Could u conceivably start on 35-40 k and move up to 50-60 eventually as a manager?
    Not sure what hospital is in ireland atm.Bout 30k starting in the uk afaik
    Salary in community varies a good bit, it's very much at the discretion of your employer. I'm not sure what it would be like if working for a multiple such as !oots - terms may be better with them but in general I'd say you're fairly spot on in that starting salary bout 35k and it depends on your employer thereafter. 4ector has experienced some savage HSE cuts, and more are on the way so these are reflected in pay, especially in independent pharmacies. It's not the superbly paid job it used to be by any means. Generally hospital salary is that bit lowert but you usually work 9-5, monday to friday so it's all relevant. You could end up working 7days a week on pretty crazy long hours in some community pharmacies so there are a lot of factors to consider when applying for work and determining salary.

Thanks a lot.
    May i also ask,how did u find the course difficulty in TCD?
    How many hours/week of lectures/labs did ye have?
    Would u recommend the course overall?
    Iv heard TCD can be very "sciencey" the first 2 years.
    Am seriously considering it

Salary in community varies a good bit, it's very much at the discretion of your employer. I'm not sure what it would be like if working for a multiple such as !oots - terms may be better with them but in general I'd say you're fairly spot on in that starting salary bout 35k and it depends on your employer thereafter. 4ector has experienced some savage HSE cuts, and more are on the way so these are reflected in pay, especially in independent pharmacies. It's not the superbly paid job it used to be by any means. Generally hospital salary is that bit lowert but you usually work 9-5, monday to friday so it's all relevant. You could end up working 7days a week on pretty crazy long hours in some community pharmacies so there are a lot of factors to consider when applying for work and determining salary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Forgot to reply back to people who maybe have questions etc.! ha In middle of 3rd year exams at the moment!

All I can say really thinking about the last 3 years is that it has flown! The biggest thing you will realize is that you will not be the best in the class anymore! Took me a really long time to get over not getting 90% in exams etc. but that iss the way of life in pharmacy school!

50% is the magic number!

• Advertisement

I'd just like to say thank you to everybody for all their help and advice:D I'm looking forward to beginning Pharmacy in a mere few weeks. Anything I should get for the first few weeks? Books, stationery,things of that sort? Getting nervous now:P

A green pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Professional Amateur

highcream wrote: »
    Ya,sure is.
    May i ask whats the story with pre reg these days,its very difficult to find placement from what i gather.
    Any of u guys head to the states afterward?
    Heard the licencing is a nightmare but thats where the big money is,they say

Im just new to boards so just saw your comment. Im just about to start a hospital pre-reg. 12 months paid (thank god!:D!). as far as im aware everyone in my class got a pre-reg somewhere, so its not "very difficult" as such to get one. but you still have to put a lot of work into finding one,good grades and interview preparation etc. i would say some places are more competitive than others.. such as placements in Dublin or Cork and also (paid) hospital places.
    in relation to hospital pre-reg there is still some uncertainty with regard to the HSE paying us (even though we are starting soon/have already started and despite the fact we were told we were going to be paid at time of interview:mad:!!!) But im hopeful it will be sorted in time!! :cool:

Advertisement