Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pharmacy

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 highcream

Hi guys,
    For those of u who have qualified or are nearing it,do ye know how tough it would be to work in hospital pharmacy?Iv heard ireland is a no go for this but the uk may have opportunities.
    Did any of yer class go working in hospital?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tradchick

I qualified from TCD just a couple of years ago and several of my classmates are working in hospitals in Ireland. I think it's fairly hard to get hospital work but I know that a few of them are working on Masters programmes in the hospitals so that's how they got in, application was through TCD masters I think. Also, if you are willing to work in smaller hospitals around the country I think there's some work there.

Thanks for your help.Am surprised any of them got into hospital work here.
    May i ask,are these permanent jobs or once u complete your masters,do u apply to move up the ladder?I know there are bands in the uk,not sure about here.
    Overall,would u recommend the career?
    Climate seems very tough at the minute.
    Did many of ye get jobs?
    Id be mainly interested in hospital work over community or industrial work.
    thanks

Tradchick wrote: »
    I qualified from TCD just a couple of years ago and several of my classmates are working in hospitals in Ireland. I think it's fairly hard to get hospital work but I know that a few of them are working on Masters programmes in the hospitals so that's how they got in, application was through TCD masters I think. Also, if you are willing to work in smaller hospitals around the country I think there's some work there.

I'm in community pharmacy myself, which was what initially attracted me to the profession and I do enjoy it. The job is very varied and you can choose to be as proactive as you like in terms of holding health screening days, administering flu vaccines etc.
    I'm afraid that I don't know much about the hospital situation, I suppose that for the people in hospital pharmacy on a masters programme they will get jobs afterwards if the embargo is lifted and people are being hired again. I know a few have gone to the UK also and seem to have gotten work in good hospitals in London so UK employment scene must be fairly good.
    Hope this is encouraging!

I'm in community pharmacy myself, which was what initially attracted me to the profession and I do enjoy it. The job is very varied and you can choose to be as proactive as you like in terms of holding health screening days, administering flu vaccines etc.
    I'm afraid that I don't know much about the hospital situation, I suppose that for the people in hospital pharmacy on a masters programme they will get jobs afterwards if the embargo is lifted and people are being hired again. I know a few have gone to the UK also and seem to have gotten work in good hospitals in London so UK employment scene must be fairly good.
    Hope this is encouraging!

Ya,sure is.
    May i ask whats the story with pre reg these days,its very difficult to find placement from what i gather.
    Any of u guys head to the states afterward?
    Heard the licencing is a nightmare but thats where the big money is,they say

• Advertisement

Nobody ventured to the states as far as I know - can only imagine it to be a complete nightmare to get recognised license in. It's a bit of a pain for New Zealand and Oz and they would be along similar lines as ourselves so no idea what procedure is for USA.
    I'd say pre-reg placements are a bit of a problem alright as the RCSI require tutor pharmacists to complete a kind of course online and be assessed before they can be approved as tutors so tha is really putting off some pharmacists as it's alot of work. The whole process is under review as the course is being integrated into a five year programme, with two different 6 month placements I think over the course of the training so placements will be organised a little bit better I think if that is the case.

Cheers.
    If u dont mind,can i ask how thesalary is in community at the minute?
    Could u conceivably start on 35-40 k and move up to 50-60 eventually as a manager?
    Not sure what hospital is in ireland atm.Bout 30k starting in the uk afaik

highcream wrote: »
    Cheers.
    If u dont mind,can i ask how thesalary is in community at the minute?
    Could u conceivably start on 35-40 k and move up to 50-60 eventually as a manager?
    Not sure what hospital is in ireland atm.Bout 30k starting in the uk afaik
    Salary in community varies a good bit, it's very much at the discretion of your employer. I'm not sure what it would be like if working for a multiple such as !oots - terms may be better with them but in general I'd say you're fairly spot on in that starting salary bout 35k and it depends on your employer thereafter. 4ector has experienced some savage HSE cuts, and more are on the way so these are reflected in pay, especially in independent pharmacies. It's not the superbly paid job it used to be by any means. Generally hospital salary is that bit lowert but you usually work 9-5, monday to friday so it's all relevant. You could end up working 7days a week on pretty crazy long hours in some community pharmacies so there are a lot of factors to consider when applying for work and determining salary.

Thanks a lot.
    May i also ask,how did u find the course difficulty in TCD?
    How many hours/week of lectures/labs did ye have?
    Would u recommend the course overall?
    Iv heard TCD can be very "sciencey" the first 2 years.
    Am seriously considering it

Salary in community varies a good bit, it's very much at the discretion of your employer. I'm not sure what it would be like if working for a multiple such as !oots - terms may be better with them but in general I'd say you're fairly spot on in that starting salary bout 35k and it depends on your employer thereafter. 4ector has experienced some savage HSE cuts, and more are on the way so these are reflected in pay, especially in independent pharmacies. It's not the superbly paid job it used to be by any means. Generally hospital salary is that bit lowert but you usually work 9-5, monday to friday so it's all relevant. You could end up working 7days a week on pretty crazy long hours in some community pharmacies so there are a lot of factors to consider when applying for work and determining salary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Forgot to reply back to people who maybe have questions etc.! ha In middle of 3rd year exams at the moment!

All I can say really thinking about the last 3 years is that it has flown! The biggest thing you will realize is that you will not be the best in the class anymore! Took me a really long time to get over not getting 90% in exams etc. but that iss the way of life in pharmacy school!

50% is the magic number!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭MauraTheThird

I'd just like to say thank you to everybody for all their help and advice:D I'm looking forward to beginning Pharmacy in a mere few weeks. Anything I should get for the first few weeks? Books, stationery,things of that sort? Getting nervous now:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

A green pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Professional Amateur

highcream wrote: »
    Ya,sure is.
    May i ask whats the story with pre reg these days,its very difficult to find placement from what i gather.
    Any of u guys head to the states afterward?
    Heard the licencing is a nightmare but thats where the big money is,they say

Im just new to boards so just saw your comment. Im just about to start a hospital pre-reg. 12 months paid (thank god!:D!). as far as im aware everyone in my class got a pre-reg somewhere, so its not "very difficult" as such to get one. but you still have to put a lot of work into finding one,good grades and interview preparation etc. i would say some places are more competitive than others.. such as placements in Dublin or Cork and also (paid) hospital places.
    in relation to hospital pre-reg there is still some uncertainty with regard to the HSE paying us (even though we are starting soon/have already started and despite the fact we were told we were going to be paid at time of interview:mad:!!!) But im hopeful it will be sorted in time!! :cool:

Advertisement