Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing a Power Supply

Options
  • 10-12-2011 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Right im putting a pc together and iv never done it befor.

So how much watt's do i need and are ATX connector's universal in the volt's/amps they use?

This is the board im using
    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5QC/#specifications

And ill probly have two SSD's and 2 DVD drives and its got 3 Fans in the case not including the CPU fan.

Any input would be great

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

What CPU and graphics card are you using? Those and (huge numbers of) 3.5" HDDs are the real power hogs in a PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dirtymurder

Solitaire wrote: »
    What CPU and graphics card are you using? Those and (huge numbers of) 3.5" HDDs are the real power hogs in a PC.

Its not HDD its SSD, and so far iv only got one its 60GB and 2.5". the othere drive might end up being HDD

CPU im thinking
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/intel-core-2-duo-e7500-lga775-socket-2-93ghz-3mb-cache-5HKN.html?refs=50520-4294946741-13&src=3

but might upgrade so dont want to have to buy a new power

and for Graphics

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/10_GRPCARD/11_NVIDIA/productdetails/20079202/ASUS_GeForce_ENGTX550_Ti_DC_DI_1GD5_1GB_PCI_E/90_C1CQF0_L0UAY0YZ/default.aspx

So even if you tell me what Supply i need what factors/spec's are you looking for to make the decision.

Thank's for your time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

What CPU do you have currently? I would strongly recommend against putting any money into a new LGA775 CPU at this point unless you can find a very cheap quad-core second-hand. The platform is obsolete, and that CPU you linked to is dreadful value.

You have no HDD? Only SSD? How will you fit programs on just an SSD? Its not a huge issue re PSU unless you wanted to stick half a dozen old HDDs in anyway :):P

I'm assuming this PC is for gaming given the graphics card?

Solitaire wrote: »
    What CPU do you have currently? I would strongly recommend against putting any money into a new LGA775 CPU at this point unless you can find a very cheap quad-core second-hand. The platform is obsolete, and that CPU you linked to is dreadful value.

You have no HDD? Only SSD? How will you fit programs on just an SSD? Its not a huge issue re PSU unless you wanted to stick half a dozen old HDDs in anyway :):P

I'm assuming this PC is for gaming given the graphics card?

No CPU at the moment im building from scrach,Ya probley will pick up a 2nd hand CPU.

As for the SSD i plan to have the OS on the 60gb SSD and probley have a HHD for general memory.

Ya my graphics card need's to be sorta good cause i want to Run UDK and one other graphics program, and probly end up with a game or so to, but mainly the graphics programs

Thanks for the heads up on the CPU value

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

You got mobo already? Asi really don't see why would anyone invest in that CPU with outdated socket.

1155 is the real pro shiz at the moment. You will be a le to drop in ivy bridge CPU in to it too.
    Get i3 2100 now if you don't want to go much over your budget.

As for psu I am prety sure you will be safe with high quality 550-600w psu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Return that motherboard (I assume you haven't don anything with it if you don't have parts), fill this out, and we'll help you spec out a much better system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Advertisement