Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid Rising: PLATINUM GAMES

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

So this has been changed from Raidens story from between MGS2 and MGS4 to a post MGS4 story...

MGS4 spoiler:
    If at the end of MGS4, Raiden was a normal human again... then how the ****.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

And?

No and.. Its just looks major cheesy. Which is a big turn off for me. Resident Evil could get away with it back in 1997 but not now a days

Kojima Productions handling story and cutscenes, gameplay solely by Platinum.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Raiden lifting a Ray and throwing it?

I knew MGS was over the top, but really?

as opposed to him stopped a submarine with his tippy toes or whatever it is he does in MGS4?

thorbarry wrote: »
    No and.. Its just looks major cheesy. Which is a big turn off for me. Resident Evil could get away with it back in 1997 but not now a days

MGS as a whole is majorly cheesy, it always has been, MGS4 is a big ball of cheese wrapped in a cheese wrap and dipped in cheese. when MGS tries to be serious it just winds up being overly dramatic and funny. this is the same franchise that has a recurring gag about someone sh1tting his pants and dozens of gay innuendo jokes in amongst bosses who are already dead, can control peoples minds and have their own army of bees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

krudler wrote: »
    MGS as a whole is majorly cheesy, it always has been, MGS4 is a big ball of cheese wrapped in a cheese wrap and dipped in cheese. when MGS tries to be serious it just winds up being overly dramatic and funny. this is the same franchise that has a recurring gag about someone sh1tting his pants and dozens of gay innuendo jokes in amongst bosses who are already dead, can control peoples minds and have their own army of bees.

I hated MGS 4. I liked the first 3 alright, but the 4th just took the biscuit

• Registered Users Posts: 23,181 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

as opposed to him stopped a submarine with his tippy toes or whatever it is he does in MGS4?

Oh yeah, that was ridiculous. He stopped it one arm cut off too and stabbed himself in the foot for some reason.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anyone thinks that this is more over the top than MGS 4 and MGS 4 was a work of high art is a moron.

I had completely forgotten about that scene....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I want to forget it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Pretty much killed any interest I had in this game. Bayonetta/DMC did nothing for me (Bayonetta made my eyes water due to terrible screen tearing though). They are just no my cup of tea at all.

I loved 1 and 3, didn't really like 2 or 4. Thought the two handheld games where good. Very dissapointed with this turn of direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

REVENGE WITH AVENGANCE

REVENGANCE!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I don't get people's surprise in the direction the game is taking. I mean, we've known for over two years that it was going to be a fast paced action game featuring Raiden and that's exactly what was shown in the trailer. The fact that it's being developed by Platinum just means that the chances of it being a ****ing awesome fast paced action game have increased exponentially.

Also, greatest. tagline. ever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just watched the trailer.

REVENGEANCE!!!

GotY.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It is very like Bayonetta and DMC, which turns me off somewhat. I'm about to offend alot of gamers here, but Devil May Cry and Vanquish were, imo, ****. I'm sure there were complex ways of stringing hits together to make an awesome combo but visually they were eye-fúck games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm sure there were complex ways of stringing hits together to make an awesome combo but visually they were eye-fúck games.

You say all that as if it's a bad thing!

It is, i like to see what's actually happening. In those games it's bright colours and visual slash markings & schnickety-schnoink sounds.

It is, i like to see what's actually happening. In those games it's bright colours and visual slash markings & schnickety-schnoink sounds.

But you can see what's happening if you pay the attention the game deserves. It just knocks everything up to glorious eleven.

Bayonetta seems to have this reputation amongst a lot of people as this silly Japanese OTT nonsense. And yes, it is all of those things. But it's also the most transcendent gaming experience of recent years. It has a fighting system with every bit the depth and ingenuity of the best traditional beat 'em ups. Sure, button bashing might get you so far, but when you actually learn the system and involve yourself with the combat, Bayonetta is a new pinnacle of gaming poetry in motion. When you enter hard mode, and the game demands that you learn and abide by the game's systems and rules, the game shows its true multicolours and reveals itself as the best video game of a generation.

There are few games (mostly the likes of Street Fighter or Treasure games) that have central systems as beautiful as the one that propels Bayonetta to heights unreached by so many others. To dismiss it as schnickety-schnoink (?) demeans a masterpiece.

It is very like Bayonetta and DMC, which turns me off somewhat. I'm about to offend alot of gamers here, but Devil May Cry and Vanquish were, imo, ****. I'm sure there were complex ways of stringing hits together to make an awesome combo but visually they were eye-fúck games.

piffle, DMC3 is awesomesauce, as is Vanquish, one of the most gloriously fun shooters of the current gen, and you can get it new for about a tenner these days. the best (and worst) thing about Platinums games is they tend not to sell as well some bigger names so they drop in price pretty quick, I bought Bayonetta for like 25 quid less than a month after release.

I think this is where we differ. We both play games because we enjoy them. You seem to love games that demand time and effort to get the best from it. I love games that are enjoyable to play without too much effort. And i don't mean pick up and play games, i do enjoy the challenge of getting things right, but some games make you work too hard to get things right. They're the ones i don't like, which is why DMC never appealed to me.

It's like the Final Fantasy series, too much to process and demanded too much of my patience (plus time based combat? GTFO!). Just not for me. And i'm sure the payoff for getting things right in DMC and Bayonetta is immense, but i prefer the challenges presented by games like Batman, hard but not overly complex

And i gave Vanquish a good effort, and i wanted to like it, but it just wasn't for me. Also, there are not many games in which future-esqe settings are my cuppa tea. And i was never a huge fan of games that have OTT weapons (God of War being an example, but because i love the mythology).

• Advertisement

You might not get games like Bayonetta, DMC and Vanquish but to call them bad games is just wrong. There's plenty of games I don't like such as Gran Turismo but I wouldn't call it a bad game, I just don't get it.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Yeah but if you don't like those type of games its a dissapointing move. I liked the tradational MGS gameplay which is unquie. Its not like we are swimming in MGS style gameplay clones.

Also comparing the mechanics/depth of Bayonetta to Street Figther is LOL!

Actually what I love about Bayonetta is that it provides that instant gratification alongside a more long term sense of reward. First time around you can grasp the basic mechanics while being wowed by the spectacle of the boss fights and situations you find yourself in. But unlike many others - say, Uncharted, which provides diminishing returns with each playthrough - Bayonetta rewards even more if you commit to replaying it on a harder difficulty. It's balanced perfectly - a mix of dumb fun and worthwhile commitment.

Vanquish, on the other hand, I consider much the same, but I think that provides rewards from the very first second of gameplay. It's not a massively complex system, and bar the core suit mechanics there's no major upgrades (bar weapons) or new rules to learn as the game goes on. It's short, sweet and to the point. But, remarkably, harder difficulties and challenge modes wring even further potential out of what initially appeared limited mechanics. It's not as perfectly balanced as Bayonetta, but again Platinum make the most out of their mechanics.

Some games, like Dark Souls or Street Fighter, only provide the player with a sense of achievement if you stick with 'em for long periods of times. Others, like Uncharted, provide instant gratification. Platinum Games, unlike pretty much anyone else, provide both.
    Azza wrote:
    Also comparing the mechanics/depth of Bayonetta to Street Figther is LOL!

It really isn't. Bayonetta brings the same depth to 3D hack and slash that Street Fighter brings to a 2D beat 'em up. Sure it isn't multiplayer, but it's an entirely different sort of system. It may not be in-depth to the point of frame counting, but it doesn't have to be. I'd find it hard to imagine anyone who has committed enough time to both could believe any differently.

It's not necessarily comparing like to like, but Bayonetta could easily be held up to the same level of scrutiny on its own terms than SF could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

I'm a big fan of Platinum's games and Metal Gear so loved this trailer.

Bayonetta is probably my favourite game of this generation (outside of street fighter, of course:P )

I agree with Azza though in that it's not really comparable to SF in terms of mechanics but it does have its own great combat system (the only real comparison I could see to SF is using the parry like Third Strike)

Getting off topic and into pedantics here, I get were you are coming from but if you've played street fighter even a little bit competitively you'd understand how ridiculously in depth it is. Bayonetta certainly has a fantasticly deep combat system, but 1 on 1 fighters are another level entirely.

I think there's room for MGS Rising and traditional MGS. It's not like Rising is impinging on the work of Kojima productions. Now if only the next MGS had a producer that could rein Kojima in when he is being stupid then I'd bevery happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Now if only the next MGS had a producer that could rein Kojima in when he is being stupid then I'd bevery happy.

Why would you want to do that when this is the end result?

Sorry

I do completely understand that they aren't comparable, and made sure to add that disclaimer in my last post ;) I am not for a second doubting the ludicrously in-depth nature of SF, and why that lends the game an enduring competitive popularity.

But I consider them comparable as the mechanical highs of their respective styles and genres. In the same way I could say, I dunno, Disgaea / Final Fantasy Tactics provides that depth to the SRPG, or ARMA2 (or whatever it's called) provides that depth to tactical military shooters. These are (entirely different) games that take their respective genres to as yet unequalled extremes. And on that level, I stand by my initial comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

J. Marston wrote: »
    Yeah, that made me think ''Come on now...''.

At this stage metal gear is useless technology. Just a relic :(.

Its a shame as it was always interesting to see metal gears in every new game... Now it's just a toy.

Nano machines!!!!? Nano machines!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

They should leave "Revengeance" out of the title, Rising is plenty! Quite excited by Platinum Games' involvement, Bayonetta is a great game. I have Vanquish, but have yet to play it. I'll make a point of doing so before Rising comes out!

Apparently, there's more information coming on Wednesday:

http://www.examiner.com/playstation-in-charlotte/new-metal-gear-rising-info-coming-wednesday-its-metal-gear-rising-not-solid

Seems we're going to find out a bit more about why it's been in development so long...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,687 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

F*ck it they should just have them fight with guitar axes the way that trailer went!

Advertisement