Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Haggling with a dealer

• 10-12-2011 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering, is it possible to haggle on the price of a car that I'll be getting on finance ? I'm looking at a few cars for the new year. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate

Why couldn't you the dealer itself isn't providing the finance a bank is in the mix there somewhere.
    Unless you're buying on a PCP or lease term and trying to argue over residuals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Of course you can. Getting finance through the dealership means the salesman gets a commission from the finance company for getting them a new customer on top of his commission for selling the car. This should be an advantage to you in any price negotiations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Of course you can, it's expected.

6a010534c904cd970c01156f4720b8970c-800wi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Negotiate the best cash discount you can, and then ask to take out finance and ask for more discount.

Make sure the interest rate is competitive too - any additional discount you get due to finance could easily be clawed back with some rate-tweaking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

.....and always remember that car salesmen are people too so be nice. The nicer you are, then I can 100% assure you, the nicer the deal will be.:)

Or try what most people do and act like you're a hard bargainer who knows their stuff and wont pay a penny over €XXXX. A) We see you coming, B) we know more about the deal than you no matter how much you know and C) set an unrealistc price and you'll fall in to the trap of letting pride take over, then you'll just end up walking away from exactly what it is you want i.e. a good deal ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Rolli

Thanks for this lads. I'm going to take a look at 2 tomorrow morning. Hopefully I'll get a good deal

Rolli wrote: »
    Thanks for this lads. I'm going to take a look at 2 tomorrow morning. Hopefully I'll get a good deal

Can I ask, are you male or female?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Saab Ed wrote: »
    .....and always remember that car salesmen are people too so be nice. The nicer you are, then I can 100% assure you, the nicer the deal will be.:)

Or try what most people do and act like you're a hard bargainer who knows their stuff and wont pay a penny over €XXXX. A) We see you coming, B) we know more about the deal than you no matter how much you know and C) set an unrealistc price and you'll fall in to the trap of letting pride take over, then you'll just end up walking away from exactly what it is you want i.e. a good deal ;)

Or you end up with a Salesman who hasn't a clue about the spec of the car, doesn't know a certain engine type exists, tries to convince you that a petrol is the way to go(because he has a few with good margin to shift), tells you that you should register it as a D reg because it's worth more, tries to convince you to buy floor mats and mud flaps you don't want, gives you the full list price and snorts at the fact you say "thats the list price, what is your best price", has bad body odour, treats you worse on a Saturday because they assume you are just passing time, needs to fill his quotas at the end of month/quarter, scoffs at the fact you are considering a different marque as well as his, tells you that it can be in from the factory in 4 weeks when in facts its 12 weeks.

It's a mindfield out there. Some misguided salesmen and some good ones.

Only way to be. Want to buy a specific model. Let's say Opel. Visit 3 Opel dealerships and get their best price and let them know, without sounding threatening, that you are considering 3 different dealerships based on the best price and simply tell them "best prices secures the deal".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Rolli

Can I ask, are you male or female?

Male :confused:

Rolli wrote: »
    Male :confused:

Right so. Dont get all tough and hard with the salesman. He'll either play you at your own game ,which of course he does all day evey day ,so he's got a better chance of winning that one.

Instead play easy. Let him fall in to the trap of thinking he's hooked one. That's when you row back. Let him think he has the deal, play as if you really want to deal and then pull back. From here on in the salesman is doing all the work. Nows your chance if ever there's one to get the best deal. Remember just stay friendly. Putting the boot in now will just make him think you're a messer or will piss him off.

Oh and last rule. Dont ask the salesman to pick a car for you; have the car picked and then start the haggle ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jimmydkid

Right so. Dont get all tough and hard with the salesman. He'll either play you at your own game ,which of course he does all day evey day ,so he's got a better chance of winning that one.

Instead play easy. Let him fall in to the trap of thinking he's hooked one. That's when you row back. Let him think he has the deal, play as if you really want to deal and then pull back. From here on in the salesman is doing all the work. Nows your chance if ever there's one to get the best deal. Remember just stay friendly. Putting the boot in now will just make him think you're a messer or will piss him off.

Oh and last rule. Dont ask the salesman to pick a car for you; have the car picked and then start the haggle ;)
    I think thats good advice im changing the car in newyear and will try out that method

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Should have bought your services last week when I changed..
    could have went 50/50 on whatever you got off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

The issue is there is a huge discrepancy between dealers. Even with a Marque like BMW where all the dealers here are centrally managed by BMW Germany.

Case in point, me last week. Was looking to change my 06 520D. Good car, M sport Auto with just 57K on it and in great condition. 2 new tyres on it, just been serviced, NCT done etc. I was after a 09/10 520D

Was talking to 3 well know BMW dealers (only willing to go with Approved BMW dealers for the warranty etc). One offered me 12K for mine another offered 13.2 and the final one offered me 15K. I went with them to get a really nice 520D Business Edition with just 19K miles on it and with the usual 2 yr warranty, breakdown assist, even a 5 yr service inclusive plan. Went with BMW finance. The dealer got a good deal and he was by far the best dealer I've dealt with and this is my 5th BMW. I'm from Dublin, this dealer is in Sligo. And I would not hesitate now to recommend him and do business again with him.

My old car will be on the lot for €19K. So greed by the first 2 dealers meant a lost car sale.

But that's crazy the discrepancies in price I was offered as a trade in. That's serious money.

And p.s. BMW Finance are really open for business....no hassle at all getting approved and the dealer said they are now one of the biggest lenders in Ireland!

Rob C wrote: »
    The issue is there is a huge discrepancy between dealers. Even with a Marque like BMW where all the dealers here are centrally managed by BMW Germany.

Case in point, me last week. Was looking to change my 06 520D. Good car, M sport Auto with just 57K on it and in great condition. 2 new tyres on it, just been serviced, NCT done etc. I was after a 09/10 520D

Was talking to 3 well know BMW dealers (only willing to go with Approved BMW dealers for the warranty etc). One offered me 12K for mine another offered 13.2 and the final one offered me 15K. I went with them to get a really nice 520D Business Edition with just 19K miles on it and with the usual 2 yr warranty, breakdown assist, even a 5 yr service inclusive plan. Went with BMW finance. The dealer got a good deal and he was by far the best dealer I've dealt with and this is my 5th BMW. I'm from Dublin, this dealer is in Sligo. And I would not hesitate now to recommend him and do business again with him.

My old car will be on the lot for €19K. So greed by the first 2 dealers meant a lost car sale.

But that's crazy the discrepancies in price I was offered as a trade in. That's serious money.

And p.s. BMW Finance are really open for business....no hassle at all getting approved and the dealer said they are now one of the biggest lenders in Ireland!

The only figure that matters is the cost to change price, not the trade-in allowance of your old car. They can give you a high trade in allowance but can claw it back by pricing the car you are buying higher. It's swings and roundabouts.

Also any dealer asking €19k for an almost 6 year old 520d is living in dream land.

bazz26 wrote: »
    The only figure that matters is the cost to change price, not the trade-in allowance of your old car. They can give you a high trade in allowance but can claw it back by pricing the car you are buying higher. It's swings and roundabouts.

Also any dealer asking €19k for an almost 6 year old 520d is living in dream land.

Of course the trade in price matters, its what helps determines the cost to change! Plus the car I was buying was the market price for a 2010 520D with that spec so it wasn't priced higher.

Also, there are dealers asking for that money for 06 520D's. Same spec as mine on Carzone with higher mileage is going for €20.5......He hasn't a hope of getting that.

Point is, I got a fair deal. The comparison with the other dealers I dealt with shows that.

Fair enough if you happy with the deal then that is all that matters.

BTW what dealers ask on carzone and what they actually sell the cars for are two different things. Anyone who asks €19k for one will be sitting on it for a long time and anyone who pays anywhere close to €19k for a 6 year old 520d is plain daft.

Here is a 08 for not much more:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=213228132476780

bazz26 wrote: »
    Fair enough if you happy with the deal then that is all that matters.

BTW what dealers ask on carzone and what they actually sell the cars for are two different things. Anyone who asks €19k for one will be sitting on it for a long time and anyone who pays anywhere close to €19k for a 6 year old 520d is plain daft.

Here is a 08 for not much more:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=213228132476780

Oh I know that, what they ask for and what they may can be very different. But if its with a BMW dealer where they put the car throughout the Premium Selection check, give the 2 year warranty with all the back up of an approved BMW dealer etc then it can put a good grand or so to the cars selling price. That car as well you highlight isn't an Auto. An 06 Auto will have no different tax band like a 520D from 2008 onwards so that's worth a tad more as well.

What the dealer will get for it, who knows.

The main point being is shop around. Don't depend on your local dealer or a dealer in your area, plenty of cars on the forecourts and buyers have room to maneuver and be patient until the right deal comes along.

Oh I know that, what they ask for and what they may can be very different. But if its with a BMW dealer where they put the car throughout the Premium Selection check, give the 2 year warranty with all the back up of an approved BMW dealer etc then it can put a good grand or so to the cars selling price. That car as well you highlight isn't an Auto. An 06 Auto will have no different tax band like a 520D from 2008 onwards so that's worth a tad more as well.

What the dealer will get for it, who knows.

The main point being is shop around. Don't depend on your local dealer or a dealer in your area, plenty of cars on the forecourts and buyers have room to maneuver and be patient until the right deal comes along.

The difference in tax on a 08 manual is €156 as opposed to €302 for a similar auto which surely not a deal breaker when spending that kind of coin on a car but still cheaper than €615 on the 06. On a 06 car I cannot imagine anyone paying a huge premium for the slush box either. I think the high askng price is down to the comprehensive BMW warranty, it's a mighty premium to pay for 2 years peace of mind though.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Apprentice Mechanic

If its a big brand brand name car there no harm asking for a free full service and a full valet when you have it for a year or 15,000km which ever comes frist

• Registered Users Posts: 10 claregirl!

Any suggestions for females?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭The Irish Riddler

claregirl! wrote: »

Tell him how much you like the car, then tell him you seen a similar car on carzone for about 85% cheaper (say it in terms of price not percentage). Tell him again how much you like the car but you really should get your father/brother/fella to take a look at the car before you buy it.

He will give it to you for less to get you to buy it on the spot rather than risk having your fella talk you out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭The Irish Riddler

They expect you to bargain them down.

They are willing to get bargained down but you are going to have to work for it.

Its a basic sales trick to let the buyer think they are getting a deal nobody else is getting and will speed up the sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

:eek::eek:I sold 2 of them last year for €16k and €14.5k!! That dealer is off his head:rolleyes:

Great that you got a good deal you were happy with, thats what its all about

Do the same :)

:eek::eek:I sold 2 of them last year for €16k and €14.5k!! That dealer is off his head:rolleyes:

Great that you got a good deal you were happy with, thats what its all about

Shhhhh, he was a great dealer!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate

I've seen a few times ladies coming back with a car they've overpaid for or got sold something they didn't need.
    Either go in their like a rifling weapon man eater
    Or bring a male friend or partner with you to deal with the dealer - sorry but it's one of those strange things!

Advertisement