Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

liamog wrote: »
    Not even bothering with the insurance for this one, the excess for a broken patio window is more than the cost of replacing the glass.

Of course, you would lose your no claims bonus too, I was just highlighting it for anyone reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You don't have an NCB on home policies like you do with motor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You don't have an NCB on home policies like you do with motor.

Some insurers have introduced this recently. Mine has anyway.

Unless all other insurers come to an agreed standard on it, it's pretty useless, and the one that does is probably not worth sticking with.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's currently a 40% discount so not to be sniffed at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

It's currently a 40% discount so not to be sniffed at.

Don’t be fooled, insurance companies implement change for their benefit not yours.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

VeVeX wrote: »
    Don’t be fooled, insurance companies implement change for their benefit not yours.

True, but at the end of the day the excess plus the loss of 40% costs the same this year as replacing the window, and will cost me more over the next couple of years.

Insurance is a big con at the best of times, it's basically a yearly bet that something bad will happen.

I wonder if Paddy Powers would give me break-in odds each year instead?

Insurance is a big con at the best of times, it's basically a yearly bet that something bad will happen.

Well that's exactly what insurance is, it was never pimped as anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Colleague's 2005 Nissan Micra got stolen yesterday night between 8.30pm -9pm! Car was parked on the driveway Brandon square, Waterville.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

peaceboi wrote: »
    Colleague's 2005 Nissan Micra got stolen yesterday night between 8.30pm -9pm! Car was parked on the driveway Brandon square, Waterville.

A couple of clusters around there have seen increased crime in the past 12 months or so. The gardai and the council are investigating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Shiranui

Yesterday 08/01/2017 around 19:00 two cop cars caught and cuffed a young lad in a baseball cap.
    It was on the corner near St Philips Church, close to the entrance of Huntsown Park.
    One street away cops were interviewing some people.
    No idea what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Unless all other insurers come to an agreed standard on it, it's pretty useless, and the one that does is probably not worth sticking with.

Nonsense, you still have had a claim when you contact another insurance company who will ask if you have had a claim in the last three/ five years.

The majority of them have no claims bonuses on household now.

The majority don't. You get discounts for having no claims within a certain period, some may even offer bigger discounts the longer you've been claim free, but you don't have an NCB sliding scale, NCB protection etc like motor that can be transferred over. Have you received NCB letters with each home renewal you have had?

If what you say is true, many many people coming from an insurer who doesn't do this will effectively be penalised for trying to move insurers because their insurer won't have an NCB letter for them, so they'll be quoted the highest rate possible, as if they've claimed, by the new insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Phil.x wrote: »

Why do they emphasise "stay at home mums" surely the risk is to all the local women or do they think mothers are more important

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

PucaMama wrote: »
    Why do they emphasise "stay at home mums" surely the risk is to all the local women or do they think mothers are more important

It's just fear mongering. People won't feel safe in their own homes etc. etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

It's the Sunday World, fear mongering & exaggeration is their business. They'll never let facts get in the way of a good facebook share.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I'd say it's because they are in the local area more, (school run, shops, playground etc) than a woman who works in city centre all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Just in relation to the above story: I agree with stories like this a lot of the time they are akin to the "Larry Murphy spotted in your area" rubbish that seems to be all over Facebook.

But in this case it was confirmed by the gardai that this guy was living in the area, a few Facebook posts over the weekend caused a lot of concern in the area and apparently a group of people gathered outside this individuals house on Sunday. They were met by the gardai who told them that the individual in question had already been moved into different housing outside the area. But it does seem that there are some houses & apartments in this area that are using as some kind of supervised accommodation for individuals like this, which residents in the area are rightly very concerned about.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

• Advertisement

Arciphel wrote: »
    Just in relation to the above story: I agree with stories like this a lot of the time they are akin to the "Larry Murphy spotted in your area" rubbish that seems to be all over Facebook.

But in this case it was confirmed by the gardai that this guy was living in the area, a few Facebook posts over the weekend caused a lot of concern in the area and apparently a group of people gathered outside this individuals house on Sunday. They were met by the gardai who told them that the individual in question had already been moved into different housing outside the area. But it does seem that there are some houses & apartments in this area that are using as some kind of supervised accommodation for individuals like this, which residents in the area are rightly very concerned about.

It is of course right to be concerned about them but the wording of the mother bit was irritating

Phil.x wrote: »
    I'd say it's because they are in the local area more, (school run, shops, playground etc) than a woman who works in city centre all day long.

And for those who aren't mothers but live and work in the area?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Other than that sunday world article, does anyone have any links to news reports about this? How come a mob showing up at this guys place didn't make the news? Neither did the Garda statements. Well I cant find any anyway, so links would be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

And for those who aren't mothers but live and work in the area?

If you work in the area you will probably be in work most of the day. Ditto those who are local but travel to work. Women who are in the complex who are most likely to be out alone are most vulnerable, he will be able to watch them, see their movements etc. This is possibly how he has found his victims in the past. No one is saying any other woman doesn't matter but if you're not around the place as often you're less of a target.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

Thanks,
    It is good to know about these things, if he refused to take part in any rehab program while in prison then in my opinion he has no right to be given a total fresh start and he should be tracked.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

My guess is, he's already gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

My parents live in Glenville and nearly every house was targeted last night. Every single one was back kitchen window taken out. Only downstairs targeted, just tvs and car keys.

amtc wrote: »
    My parents live in Glenville and nearly every house was targeted last night. Every single one was back kitchen window taken out. Only downstairs targeted, just tvs and car keys.

This is getting ridiculous. We should be allowed have things to defend our homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

amtc wrote:

Did any alarms go off? I'm surprised to hear of so many houses being targeted without the burglars being disturbed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭phoenix49

amtc wrote: »

These people deserve to be injured, to degree caught and charged so they can't steal anymore! Btw, is Glenville in Dublin 15?

Advertisement