Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

phoenix49 wrote: »
    These people deserve to be injured, to degree they can't steal anymore! Btw, is Glenville in Dublin 15?

phoenix49, posts encouraging violence, no matter how justified you may feel it is, are not permitted on the site. Please refrain from making any more comments of this nature. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

PucaMama wrote: »
    This is getting ridiculous. We should be allowed have things to defend our homes.

You can within reason and a dog may be a good deterrent and an alarm.

One can use reasonable force to defend oneself and their home.
    Within reason and reasonable are of course open for scrutiny but if it were me and I was faced with a chance to defend I would have no issue doing so.

Hope they catch them and get all the gear back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

amtc wrote: »
    My parents live in Glenville and nearly every house was targeted last night. Every single one was back kitchen window taken out. Only downstairs targeted, just tvs and car keys.

How were windows taken out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Some windows are externally glazed so when the slips are removed the pane of glass can be taken out - A way to prevent this is to remove the slips take out the glass and run a bead of silicone around the frame where it meets the glass and reinstall.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Every Garda will tell you, no alarm technology is any substitute for a shouty dog. Doesnt have to be particularly big or vicious, but burglars avoid taking chances with them. I remember in my younger years a spate of break-ins one night and it was like a passover of houses with any sort of mutt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

You can within reason and a dog may be a good deterrent and an alarm.

One can use reasonable force to defend oneself and their home.
    Within reason and reasonable are of course open for scrutiny but if it were me and I was faced with a chance to defend I would have no issue doing so.

Hope they catch them and get all the gear back.

I have 4 dogs but apparently I can get in trouble if they bite an intruder. Which I think is unfair.

What does reasonable force count for tho? If I believe an intruder will do me harm can I batter him with something?

I think I should be allowed let my dogs take a few bites out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I have 4 dogs but apparently I can get in trouble if they bite an intruder. Which I think is unfair.

What does reasonable force count for tho? If I believe an intruder will do me harm can I batter him with something?

I think I should be allowed let my dogs take a few bites out of them.

Its a grey area but if an intruder is in or on your property and is a threat in layman's terms you can meet that threat with force which must be proportionate to avoid ones life being taken if you so do believe.

Its easy for one to say they would defend but in all honesty its until one is in that position is the only time one would know if they can or not.

Example if I broke into your house and you hit me and I got hurt that's my problem but I could still try and get money out of you.

Its very tuff for them to prove unless you say went overkill and stabbed many times and cut one up etc.

Alarm, CCTV and dogs are a great deterrent to have.
    On the dog part if they are on your own property then that is a none issue.

Its a grey area but if an intruder is in or on your property and is a threat in layman's terms you can meet that threat with force which must be proportionate to avoid ones life being taken if you so do believe.

Its easy for one to say they would defend but in all honesty its until one is in that position is the only time one would know if they can or not.

Example if I broke into your house and you hit me and I got hurt that's my problem but I could still try and get money out of you.

Its very tuff for them to prove unless you say went overkill and stabbed many times and cut one up etc.

Alarm, CCTV and dogs are a great deterrent to have.
    On the dog part if they are on your own property then that is a none issue.

If that last line is true that's great. My dogs sleep between what I consider our weakest spot for security (a wooden frame old window) and the rest of the house.

I'm wary of cctv. Saw a man on uk tv program who had theives take his car then kick in doors and beat him up to destroy cctv evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

i've heard a rumor that doors are being opened and dogs allowed to run out side entrances etc before houses being returned to.

Its pub talk, not something i can back up. but does say to make sure you have a good lock on side entrances.

i've heard a rumor that doors are being opened and dogs allowed to run out side entrances etc before houses being returned to.

Its pub talk, not something i can back up. but does say to make sure you have a good lock on side entrances.

I had that happen when I only had small dogs. Well the gates where only opened when the dogs where inside as if they had opened them when my jack Russell mix was in the garden they wouldn't do it a second time. People see terriers and think they are delicate lap dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...People see terriers and think they are delicate lap dogs.

No one thinks that.

If someone said a person was like a terrier they don't mean delicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Not a rumour, they did this with my parents very large dog. They stay high up on the wall & coax the dog out the side entrance.

Knine wrote: »
    Not a rumour, they did this with my parents very large dog. They stay high up on the wall & coax the dog out the side entrance.

I'd get cameras just to watch the dogs get them off the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Not sure about this, if you were a heavy sleeper and didnt hear anything but ended up saving the poor burglar.

Make sure you have contents insurance, this extends to give liability cover covering injuries to public caused by members of the household and includes dog (dangerous dogs might be excluded), if it goes to court let your insurance company fight it.

Shemale wrote: »
    Not sure about this, if you were a heavy sleeper and didnt hear anything but ended up saving the poor burglar.

Make sure you have contents insurance, this extends to give liability cover covering injuries to public caused by members of the household and includes dog (dangerous dogs might be excluded), if it goes to court let your insurance company fight it.

Be nearly easier to "sleep through" it. I'd save a fortune on dog food for a month haha

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Keep the dogs in the house.

D15 Locksmiths did a complete review of my place as i was heading abroad for a few months, installed window clamps and glass locks wherever needed and replaced the external door barrels with tamper proofs etc, I couldnt recommend them highly enough.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Keep the dogs in the house.

D15 Locksmiths did a complete review of my place as i was heading abroad for a few months, installed window clamps and glass locks wherever needed and replaced the external door barrels with tamper proofs etc, I couldnt recommend them highly enough.

They already live in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I'd get cameras just to watch the dogs get them off the wall

Dog is usually in the house thankfully!

Knine wrote: »
    Dog is usually in the house thankfully!

So are mine but they are in the garden a few times a day

So are mine but they are in the garden a few times a day

Its like chatting to PETA :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Lets keep it on topic folks, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

A mates house had an attempted break in on Saturday night/ Sunday morning. They reckon about 2am. Tried to enter the back of the house. The locksmith reckons it was a crow bar they tried to use on the door.

It was in the Hartstown , Meadow Copse area.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭septictank

Mad stuff going on, just be carefull.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/hero-shoppers-pounce-on-man-who-tried-to-get-into-mums-car-with-baby-in-back-35453038.html

Lucky there were people who were not afraid to act.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

septictank wrote: »
    Mad stuff going on, just be carefull.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/hero-shoppers-pounce-on-man-who-tried-to-get-into-mums-car-with-baby-in-back-35453038.html

Lucky there were people who were not afraid to act.

Fair play to all involved but 50 mins for the gardai to arrive is shocking and worrying. Hopefully the lady and her baby are okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

eviltwin wrote: »
    ....50 mins for the gardai to arrive is shocking and worrying. ....

People should contact their local representatives about this. That is terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

50 minutes is truely shocking. Are we that lacking resources that it takes that long to react to a criminal who tried to car jack a car with a baby having assaulted a woman in the process?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

chris85 wrote: »
    50 minutes is truely shocking. Are we that lacking resources that it takes that long to react to a criminal who tried to car jack a car with a baby having assaulted a woman in the process?

Could have walked to the station with him in half that time.:confused:

I know that wouldnt really be possible but you could walk it in that time.

I wonder if it was a 999 call or direct to the station, in my experience the Blanch station rarely if ever answer the phone and don't seem arsed when they do. If you need something done they try send you to another station.

It's a sad state of affairs if you have to call 999 for something that isn't really an emergency because the local station can't be arsed.

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Could have walked to the station with him in half that time.:confused:

I know that wouldnt really be possible but you could walk it in that time.

Is that really the solution? If you don't know how long the Garda will be citizens should try to frogmarch a man with his shirt off and mental issues over a mile to the Garda station.

Sure you could be in the station with him 50 minutes before anyone comes out of the coffee room behind the glass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Shemale wrote: »
    Is that really the solution? If you don't know how long the Garda will be citizens should try to frogmarch a man with his shirt off and mental issues over a mile to the Garda station.

Sure you could be in the station with him 50 minutes before anyone comes out of the coffee room behind the glass.

I was in blanch garda station a few years ago waiting to get a form stamped when someone did exactly that....came in with a young lad they had caught in their house. The garda on duty said by bringing the guy down to the station against his will they had basically kidnapped him. So you can't win. But 50 mins for something as serious as an assault and attempted carjacking...it doesn't give much hope of a response if something happens that we need assistance.

Advertisement