Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

beauf wrote: »
    I don't really see it as a "different" area.

Someone stealing your bin is likely to be a neighbor or someone who walks past on a regular basis. Can you not set up a camera and catch them?

Could the woman being targetted not set up a camera and catch them? Better than the garda mounting a special operation to catch the culprits... cheaper too probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

January wrote: »
    Could the woman being targetted not set up a camera and catch them?... .

... You want an elderly lady to catch 3 grown men... as they drive by egging her house...

... You want an elderly lady to catch 3 grown men... as they drive by egging her house...

You want me to sit watching cctv all night to confront a gang of scumbags who are stealing bins?

No, you set the cctv up and if there's an incident you watch it back to find the culprits after wards. The lady could have done the same and it's the advice garda should have given her not to set up a special operation. It was an overreaction that wouldn't have been repeated in a disadvantaged part of the area.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Surely the egg incident is the kind of thing Neighbourhood Watch set ups are for?

There's eggs on the house every morning so it's obviously happening at night. Find out if any of your neighbours are out to work very early or coming in very late and ask them to check if there's eggs on your house when they're going in/out, this narrows the time down. If it's genuinely happening everyday it shouldn't be too much to ask that someone sits up and keeps an eye for one night.

I don't know how the milkman up that way works but mine only delivers on 3 mornings so it wouldn't be that hard to put two and two together there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Could the woman being targetted not set up a camera and catch them? Better than the garda mounting a special operation to catch the culprits... cheaper too probably.

Is that meant to be a joke??

• Advertisement

You want me to sit watching cctv all night to confront a gang of scumbags who are stealing bins?

No, you set the cctv up and if there's an incident you watch it back to find the culprits after wards. The lady could have done the same and it's the advice garda should have given her not to set up a special operation. It was an overreaction that wouldn't have been repeated in a disadvantaged part of the area.

I assume not being being able was also true of the retired lady. Of course it was't just this lady it was on going damage to a number of cars and houses etc, (...paid more than €2,000 in damages...) so we don't know the true cost of the damage caused. Sounds like they focused on one vulnerable person, it was probably that as much as the damage. I expect they caught these simply because they were easy to find.

In my experience I've never had a good response time from the Garda no matter where I've lived in D15. Always get the we have no cars in the area, or they are dealing with something more urgent. Seems very different in other parts of the city, from what I here. Maybe other areas have always had more resources.

Is that meant to be a joke??

No its not meant to be a joke. My house is being targeted I'm told to get cameras. Her house gets targeted and the garda set up a special operation to catch the culprits.

Where's the difference.

You should get on to your local representatives to force some action on the bins.

I've spoken to a few people in Fingal but they claim there's nothing they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Curfew and tag the scrotes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I assume not being being able was also true of the retired lady. Of course it was't just this lady it was on going damage to a number of cars and houses etc, (...paid more than €2,000 in damages...) so we don't know the true cost of the damage caused. Sounds like they focused on one vulnerable person, it was probably that as much as the damage. I expect they caught these simply because they were easy to find.

In my experience I've never had a good response time from the Garda no matter where I've lived in D15. Always get the we have no cars in the area, or they are dealing with something more urgent. Seems very different in other parts of the city, from what I here. Maybe other areas have always had more resources.

Blanchardstown Garda Station is incredibly under resourced for the size of the area that it serves. I'd love to know how many Gardaí are on duty on any given day/night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

Although I have received poor service from Blanch Gardai I have sympathy for them.
    The population exploded and the number of Gardai didn't increase in D15 with other lucky Gardai down the country having a "relatively" quiet life and not being moved to where they are needed; can't blame them for that.

often their cars are worn ragged. Sometimes they've had their only active cars targetted by the joyriders and destroyed.
    They have called out to me in the paddy wagon because they have had no cars.
    Then when they proceed to do their job a doddery Judge in the local court won't send the criminals to Gaol. Then there aren't the prison places
    I've seen them crest-fallen in court after putting effort in to cases where I was involved and the case being dismissed.
    I've heard off-their-head louts shouting at the top of their voice to their mates passing through my estate elated because they got some digs in to Beangardas. Squaring up to the Gardai is part and parcel of a good night on the town in Blanch.
    Violent anti-social sub-humans are wild and free in Dublin 15 and there simply aren't enough Gardai around to follow them 24x7 since the legal system just won't put them behind bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I live in Ladyswell and I've luckily only had to call gardai a few times but they have never arrived. People in certain areas are lower priority it seems. It really does feel like the guards don't care about us.

I lived in one of those areas which you suggest are the ones the Guards don't care about.
    A significant minority of the locals in those ares don't make them feel very welcome when they do call.

737max wrote: »
    I lived in one of those areas which you suggest are the ones the Guards don't care about.
    A significant minority of the locals in those ares don't make them feel very welcome when they do call.

My street is full of families and old people. They have nothing to be afraid of. Afaik there have been no attacks on gardai up here so I don't think they can use that excuse.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Imagine how it feels to live there then - feel at risk or targeted by a crime - call Gardaí for help - they never come.

It's inexcusable.

eviltwin wrote: »
    My street is full of families and old people. They have nothing to be afraid of. Afaik there have been no attacks on gardai up here so I don't think they can use that excuse.
    You make Ladyswell sound so nice and genteel. Even the placename sounds nice.

You make Ladyswell sound so nice and genteel. Even the placename sounds nice.

Believe it or not we are not all scumbags.

miamee wrote: »
    Imagine how it feels to live there then - feel at risk or targeted by a crime - call Gardaí for help - they never come.

It's inexcusable.
    It is excusable. I gave you the reasons why above.
    Where I lived in Blanch would have been mentioned as one of the rough areas in the same breath with Ladyswell.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Believe it or not we are not all scumbags.
    having lived in a similar area I can believe it but would I if I were a Garda be up and atom for visiting my estate at 3 in the morning...There be dragons.

• Advertisement

having lived in a similar area I can believe it but would I if I were a Garda be up and atom for visiting my estate at 3 in the morning...There be dragons.

They have a job to do and I'm entitled to the same protection and garda support as anyone else in D15. I could understand if they were at physical risk of attacks but in all my time here there has never been an attack on a guard. They patrol the area on bike so it can't be that much of a danger zone and I shouldn't have to justify why the people living here deserve the same treatment as anyone else.

Although I have received poor service from Blanch Gardai I have sympathy for them.
    The population exploded and the number of Gardai didn't increase in D15...

I'm the same. Its a tough job no argument.

But the response times in Blanch have always been poor. Regardless of where in D.15

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I'm the same. Its a tough job no argument.

But the response times in Blanch have always been poor. Regardless of where in D.15

Who would be the appropriate people to reach out to to try change this? How can we campaign for improved Garda presence in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Cant believe the we dont get the Gardai cause of where we live, nonsense.

Gardai in Blanch dont respond anywhere.

As for this groups of people hanging around someone must know their families to have a word with

It was noticeable as soon as Leo got the top job we started seeing more Garda around.

What is reminded us was you used to see more cops around, speed checks, on the beat. Over the last 10yrs or so all that disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

Political engagement is the best way to get more Garda - look at Stepaside. Part of the problem is that the parties that are willing to take responsibility for government do not see many votes in certain areas. If the people of an area vote for parties that refuse to enter government an spend their time attacking the Guarda (sometime justifiably) . This may not be right but it is reality.
    Best thing to do is for residents associations to invite politicians from the parties of power to the area for meetings and don't have a big protest against them when they arrive. In order to do that local people such as RA chairpeople, priests and teachers have to speak out against the parties who love to organise these protests. In the early days of Tyrrelstown I helped organise several meeting with cross party representational that were very successful but a strong chairperson is needed to keep the focus on what can actually be done for the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Gardaí in Blanch dont respond anywhere :rolleyes:

Its all a numbers game. You have to be realistic here lads.

10,696 Garda (according to their website)
    Take away detective rank out of that and Garda members who work in an office..
    Lets be very generous and leavie uniform numbers at 10,400

Then divide your remainder by 5 units = 2080

Divide that number by 26 counties = 80

Dublin is a priority so add a good few more to that 120 then leaving 40 for the other 25 counties...

120, lets say taking just the 10 of busiest Garda Stations in Dublin
    Store Street
    Pearse Street
    Tallaght
    Blanchardstown
    Finglas
    Kevin Street
    Cabra
    Coolock
    Crumlin
    Sundrive Road

12 working Garda for those stations at one time.. that would be leaving NOBODY for the rest of Dublin....

From your number take two away for your station who would be working inside, some station depending would take more in the station to operate it.

Take away another 2 for holiday or sick

Split your remaining 8 on the Unit. 6 in cars one will need paperwork to deal with the things he had last week, send the last one out on his own on a pushbike...

Take Blanchardstown with a population of 120,000... It wont be long before those 3 cars and one bike get stopped at a call and the calls build up

I think my maths are right.. Its a numbers game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Gardaí in Blanch dont respond anywhere :rolleyes:

Its all a numbers game. You have to be realistic here lads.

Ok officer :rolleyes:

Realistic like saying Leitrim has the same Garda numbers as Dublin?

Go to the station in Blanch any night and all you can see/hear are the Gardai having a laugh in the back while you wait over an hour for a form to be stamped.

How many Gardai pass you on the street a month in Blanch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Shemale wrote: »
    Ok officer :rolleyes:

Realistic like saying Leitrim has the same Garda numbers as Dublin?

Go to the station in Blanch any night and all you can see/hear are the Gardai having a laugh in the back while you wait over an hour for a form to be stamped.

How many Gardai pass you on the street a month in Blanch?

I'll pass the message on next time I see than no having a laugh while in work! 😂

• Advertisement

I'll pass the message on next time I see than no having a laugh while in work! 😂

No prob with having a laugh but maybe if there's a queue hop on the desk and help out instead of sittng having a gossip.

Advertisement