Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It was on the front page on at least one of the evening papers. But I can't find it online now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

beauf wrote: »
    It was on the front page on at least one of the evening papers. But I can't find it online now.

Broadsheet.ie post the front pages - http://www.broadsheet.ie/?s=papers

I actually picked up the paper and read it, but can't find any mention of it if online now. Think it was the herald.

Basically was the Garda upping patrols to Prevent attacks on taxis

Maybe it was wrong and they pulled the story

Think you're right - vaguely remember it. Saying that it was a long Christmas period :D

Either way - upping patrols hardly means two ERU resources :O most likely something else.

• Advertisement

Considering the story about taxi only broke over the last day or so, the Xmas period doesn't come into it. I'd assumed I'd be able to read it later online. Not for it to vanish everywhere.

Considering they are using firearms (imitation?) what were response would you expect. A stern talking to?

There are lots of reports of whats likely to be the same group in the same area for a long time now.

http://www.thejournal.ie/taxi-clonee-robbery-gang-3777282-Jan2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Considering the story about taxi only broke over the last day or so, the Xmas period doesn't come into it. I'd assumed I'd be able to read it later online. Not for it to vanish everywhere.

Considering they are using firearms (imitation?) what were response would you expect. A stern talking to?

There are lots of reports of whats likely to be the same group in the same area for a long time now.

http://www.thejournal.ie/taxi-clonee-robbery-gang-3777282-Jan2018/

It’s known there’s a gang of scum bags in that area. Moved around a bit but still causing trouble. They are getting away with far too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Nissan Leaf stolen from Riverwood estate around 3am on Tuesday 9 January.
    Car keys are not taken from the house.
    Incident reported to the Gardai.

It might have been the keyless relay method as reported in Clonee in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

daymobrew wrote: »
    Nissan Leaf stolen from Riverwood estate around 3am on Tuesday 9 January.
    Car keys are not taken from the house.
    Incident reported to the Gardai.

It might have been the keyless relay method as reported in Clonee in November.

Ye, the keys might have kept in unclosed, open area within the house. And v easy for them thieves to use signal booster and steal the car.
    My leaf was stolen the same way in oct' 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Everyone with remote keys should get a faraday pouch to keep them in, a neat simple measure that starts from about a tenner online. I got one that fits both mine and wifes keys and got ones for a few older relatives as well who arent great with the concept of how the car can be nicked.

Ten or twenty quid could save you thousands in insurance loadings for several years, even if you have step-back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Everyone with remote keys should get a faraday pouch to keep them in, a neat simple measure that starts from about a tenner online. I got one that fits both mine and wifes keys and got ones for a few older relatives as well who arent great with the concept of how the car can be nicked.

Ten or twenty quid could save you thousands in insurance loadings for several years, even if you have step-back.

A microwave is also a faraday unit, if you’re stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

A metal biscuit tin.

It's scandalous how easy these cars are stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

Thought it was just cars with start button s

How does the car still work when they move out of range of the key. Has the key been cloned?

Time to go back to remotes that turn off until you press a button on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

I didnt realise the design was so stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

I didnt realise the design was so stupid.

It's not stupid really. What would be a stupid design would be if you're key battery failed on the outside lane on a motorway at 120km/h thus shutting you're engine off. It's a safety feature that the key only needs to be in range to start the car.

Faraday cages are a good idea. Also keep the keys away from the front door and perhaps in a room upstairs furthest away from the car itself.

Installing posts outside in the driveway also act as deterrent.

It could give to 5 mins to slow and stop the car if the key is not detected. Then require a code to unlock the car.

Everything else makes is less convenient. which is ironic. The faraday box is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Veloce wrote: »
    It's not stupid really. What would be a stupid design would be if you're key battery failed on the outside lane on a motorway at 120km/h thus shutting you're engine off. It's a safety feature that the key only needs to be in range to start the car.

Faraday cages are a good idea. Also keep the keys away from the front door and perhaps in a room upstairs furthest away from the car itself.

Installing posts outside in the driveway also act as deterrent.

It's a stupid design if it allows your car to be stolen by some bloke in your driveway using a little gadget. Good design would have foreseen this scenario and designed in a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

It's a stupid design if it allows your car to be stolen by some bloke in your driveway using a little gadget. Good design would have foreseen this scenario and designed in a solution.

It may be a stupid design idea, but truth is, this keyless entry system is adopted by so many automobile manufacturers lately including BMW & Merc. Also, there is quite few video clips on YouTube showing expensive cars being stolen using this flaw in keyless entry cars!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

There'll always be a way to steal a car no matter what the technology Andrew. Radio interception of a remote central locking system (which nearly all cars have) is another example. That's done with a little gadget too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Veloce wrote: »
    There'll always be a way to steal a car no matter what the technology Andrew. Radio interception of a remote central locking system (which nearly all cars have) is another example. That's done with a little gadget too.

Indeed, no security system is foolproof -but allowing anyone to open/start your car from your driveway is particularly dumb - just bad design.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Lets finish that there and go back on-topic now thanks.

http://www.thejournal.ie/taxi-robberies-teenagers-3802863-Jan2018/

Hopefully something comes of it.

Hilarious from the mother of the gang leader "His mother initially refused to come to court with her son yesterday/today (WED) and he risked being held in custody. She arrived later and apologised.". Now we know what's wrong with these kids anyways - no parenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

http://www.thejournal.ie/taxi-robberies-teenagers-3802863-Jan2018/

Hopefully something comes of it.

Hilarious from the mother of the gang leader "His mother initially refused to come to court with her son yesterday/today (WED) and he risked being held in custody. She arrived later and apologised.". Now we know what's wrong with these kids anyways - no parenting.

Brings a whole new meaning to 'some mothers son'.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 sowdublin

A lot of negative publicity to the area in general because of these thugs. Hopefully this results in something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Patww79 wrote: »

Fixed that for you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Ah no lads, vigilantism is never the answer. Can we stick to the the thread topic please

Advertisement