Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

beauf wrote: »
    If you have to keep replacing bikes even cheap ones that's not viable either.

I'm not really sure why you have an issue with finding out how the bike was locked. It's just useful to know.

This post directed at me..?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

"Hi all. A resident of Brookhaven was walking to work this morning at about 7.45am along Blanchardstown Road North towards the shopping centre. She became aware of somebody walking behind her and noticed he slowed his pace to match hers. When she got to the gate into the valley he pulled her arm trying to pull her towards the gate. She shook his hand off her and he pulled at her arm again. He didn’t speak to her. She managed to get away from him and he went into the valley. He was wearing a baseball cap and a tracksuit but it all happened so quickly she didn’t get a better description. Please please be vigilant when walking alone."

https://www.facebook.com/BHNHW/posts/1566092483504350

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

not yet wrote: »
    I wouldn't leave an expensive bike anywhere regardless of the amount of locks I had on it, the horrible truth is no bike is safe.
    Sorry about the theft. It's a major pain in the arse. Most people don't realise that it's often worse than the theft of a car because motorists have insurance that will happy to pay out (it's cheaper than an injury claim) but cyclists often don't.

Next time you need to make your bike less attractive than those nearby. Two different types of lock (e.g. chain and u-lock) will help as to break them will require different tools.

You're right that sometimes an angle grinder or similar is used but they are very noisy and attract attention which the thief doesn't want (though some don't care) so their use is unusual.

With respect to cheap locks, I was on Parnell Street last November and watched a guy steal a bike by giving it a hard pull from the bike stand. The cable lock just broke. No tools were needed!! I rang the Gardai but I doubt that they could do anything.

On Sunday morning (February 11) someone spotted a full suspension mountain bike near the pedestrian lights that are between Riverwood and Woodbrook. The bike ended up being dropped into my house.

Unfortunately the bike no longer works - pedalling forward doesn’t work. The bike has not been well maintained, with lots of rust on the frame and chain. This makes me think that it has been abandoned.

If someone owns it please contact me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

not yet wrote: »
    This post directed at me..?

I just want to know if I cycle to Blanch center what locks have worked for people. If you can help with that then yes. Otherwise no.

In most recent thefts I've heard of locally the bikes were not locked.

There were also a few high profile robberies where they only took only the expensive bikes and had the tools to go through any lock or door. But I think this is quite unusual.

Most bikes I see at work and in the city center are badly locked or have rubbish locks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

beauf wrote: »
    I just want to know if I cycle to Blanch center what locks have worked for people. If you can help with that then yes. Otherwise no.

In most recent thefts I've heard of locally the bikes were not locked.

There were also a few high profile robberies where they only took only the expensive bikes and had the tools to go through any lock or door. But I think this is quite unusual.

Most bikes I see at work and in the city center are badly locked or have rubbish locks.

As I said I wouldn't lock a really good bike anywhere, these little fcukers know at a glance how good a bike is and will go all out to get it, as a lad above said make your bike look as cheap as possible, I've seen guys spray a bike black with no decals to look sh1te.

Maybe leave your bike in a very public area, I have 2 bikes 1: a good road bike @1500euro and a chunky old bike @100euro. I bring the old one the gym in blanch and lock it with two locks, I always take the saddle with me as its easy to detach, if possible I'd also clip the front wheel off...I would never lock the good bike anywhere.

all very over the top I know but having a bike stolen twice over past 20 years tends to make you paranoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

I too would appreciate Shiranui letting us know how the bike was stolen as I often cycle to the center and am interested in the methods they used. I also lock my bike in that area. It sounds like it could have been grabbed before being locked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭forward8

"Hi all. A resident of Brookhaven was walking to work this morning at about 7.45am along Blanchardstown Road North towards the shopping centre. She became aware of somebody walking behind her and noticed he slowed his pace to match hers. When she got to the gate into the valley he pulled her arm trying to pull her towards the gate. She shook his hand off her and he pulled at her arm again. He didn’t speak to her. She managed to get away from him and he went into the valley. He was wearing a baseball cap and a tracksuit but it all happened so quickly she didn’t get a better description. Please please be vigilant when walking alone."

There has been news about someone aggressively shouting at women trying to get them into his car near the coolmine area recently. reported on 'lovin dublin' site a few days back.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

forward8 wrote: »
    There has been news about someone aggressively shouting at women trying to get them into his car near the coolmine area recently. reported on 'lovin dublin' site a few days back.

I'm all for girls being vigilant in any event, but lovin dublin is hardly The Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I'm all for girls being vigilant in any event, but lovin dublin is hardly The Times.

Yes I would agree, it is nothing more than a trashy tabloid rag. I unfollowed their FB page last year, when they published a article about a car crash involving pedestrians at a bus stop on Adelaide Rd, implying that the incident was terrorist related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

• Registered Users Posts: 19 thatMck

Man and blonde women in silver opel coarsa acting suspicious checking cars in the lohunda area . Please be vigilant people

thatMck wrote: »
    Man and blonde women in silver opel coarsa acting suspicious checking cars in the lohunda area . Please be vigilant people
    Has this been reported to the Gardai, with the Opel's reg place details?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Raising a little toe-rag who's happy to threaten Guards and attack taxi drivers, no sympathy for this neglectful mother whatsoever.

Not sure why you're dragging up an old story to talk about parenting.

But it's very simplistic to think a bit of strict parenting is a simple fix in every situation. Not everyone and every child is wired the same.

It helps in many situations just not all. I'm sure many parents go looking for help from medical and social services and even the cops only to find they are on their own.

Just after 10pm last night (Saturday 10 March) a number of cars on Riverwood Chase were broken into. While nothing appears to have been taken, the car contents were moved around a lot, as if the thieves were looking for valuable items. The thieves also attempted to open the front door of one house.

A passer by noticed the thieves and reported it to the Gardai who then called into houses to report the attempted thefts to the car owners. They also asked that we remind people to lock their front doors and keep valuables in their cars out of sight.

From: https://www.facebook.com/RiverwoodRes/posts/2364614580231249

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

daymobrew wrote: »
    Just after 10pm last night (Saturday 10 March) a number of cars on Riverwood Chase were broken into. While nothing appears to have been taken, the car contents were moved around a lot, as if the thieves were looking for valuable items. The thieves also attempted to open the front door of one house.

A passer by noticed the thieves and reported it to the Gardai who then called into houses to report the attempted thefts to the car owners. They also asked that we remind people to lock their front doors and keep valuables in their cars out of sight.

From: https://www.facebook.com/RiverwoodRes/posts/2364614580231249

Also a couple of cars done in the Willow Wood area of Hartstown last night and a double stabbing last night outside the Spar in Mulhuddart (Castlecurragh estate one) around 20:30, two people taken to hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭fasterbetter

A minor incident I know compared to the above but I took the 38 into town last night and some 12-14 year olds started throwing rocks at the bus on the way past Mcdonalds at the end of the Navan road. Broke the rear window...this was only 6:30PM..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

A minor incident I know compared to the above but I took the 38 into town last night and some 12-14 year olds started throwing rocks at the bus on the way past Mcdonalds at the end of the Navan road. Broke the rear window...this was only 6:30PM..

Dublin City Forum :pac::pac:

Did you phone the Gardai?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭fasterbetter

Thanks for the replies...

Yes I phoned the Gardai. As did the Driver. They said they would be along presently..

Reason for posting was because 90% of people on the bus were from D15...But hey.. lesson learned,.....I'll be more careful next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

Attempted break in and they smashed my kitchen window when out for dinner on mothers day..Happened around 8.30 pm last night..The alarm went off and they ran off.... The guards told me there was another one in Brompton earlier where they broke in through the front door...no alarm... I am in Carpenterstown..

Yes I phoned the Gardai. As did the Driver. They said they would be along presently..

Reason for posting was because 90% of people on the bus were from D15...But hey.. lesson learned,.....I'll be more careful next time.
    Good to hear that multiple calls were made to the Gardai.

I'm curious, what less did you learn and how can you be more careful?
    I would think that this was a rare occurrence and that there is nothing you can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I was joking...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

January wrote: »

I was joking...
    Yeah, and that's why Smilies were not invented :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Spotted a Garda on patrol on foot at Riverwood Saturday evening. Not sure if related to recent incidents, but first one I’ve seen on patrol since Leo upped stocks and moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Spotted a Garda on patrol on foot at Riverwood Saturday evening. Not sure if related to recent incidents, but first one I’ve seen on patrol since Leo upped stocks and moved.

Where has he moved to?

He moved....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

Not sure but there is a Taoiseachs residence at the back of Farmleigh that is available to him - the stewards lodge. No Taoiseach has been willing to move into it since Bertie helped justify his wages by claiming that he didn't get a house with the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

AlanG wrote: »
    Not sure but there is a Taoiseachs residence at the back of Farmleigh that is available to him - the stewards lodge. No Taoiseach has been willing to move into it since Bertie helped justify his wages by claiming that he didn't get a house with the job.

Moved to Georgian village i read.

Advertisement