Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Well, for all their guff and BS about an unending protest, they seem to have lost the stomach for it on Day 2.

Cretins.

Protest is in Town today

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

fixed that for you

I'm sorry, but I simply don't agree with that and would rather my post was not misquoted in this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Zaph wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but I simply don't agree with that and would rather my post was not misquoted in this way.

Whilst I agree BLM is important, it is equally important that it is not hijacked by a group of angry kids. Lets leave colour aside for a moment...

It looks like cops did everything possible over 30 min to calm this situation, If this guy had of dropped the knife at any stage the outcome would have been different, the guy looks like he had a death wish, regardless of his mental health the cops have to deal with the imminent threat to life in real time.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

not yet wrote: »
    Whilst I agree BLM is important, it is equally important that it is not hijacked by a group of angry kids. Lets leave colour aside for a moment...

It looks like cops did everything possible over 30 min to calm this situation, If this guy had of dropped the knife at any stage the outcome would have been different, the guy looks like he had a death wish, regardless of his mental health the cops have to deal with the imminent threat to life in real time.

I totally agree, and that was the point I made in my post. This isn't a BLM issue, it's a simple criminal issue which ideally would have had a better outcome. I was merely responding to the post above deriding BLM in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Zaph wrote: »
    . Is there a GoFundMe page set up for him like there is for the guy who attacked him?

There is -
    https://ie.gofundme.com/f/support-wayne-in-his-recovery?qid=7348ce14066c773d3e21a7be6c6d4687

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

The Gardai took the correct action here.

Anybody acting criminally with a deadly weapon and not doing what the Gardai instruct them to do deserve what they get.

The BLM angle is bollox.

The mental health excuse is bollox too, his family badly let him by not getting him help and and what the **** is he doing with a machete.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Shemale wrote: »
    The Gardai took the correct action here.

Anybody acting criminally with a deadly weapon and not doing what the Gardai instruct them to do deserve what they get.

The BLM angle is bollox.

The mental health excuse is bollox too, his family badly let him by not getting him help and and what the **** is he doing with a machete.

Unfortunately anyone can pick up a knife.
    We will know more after investigation, he may well have needed help, I don't know but I would guess no normal person would carry on like he did.

I do fear we are going down the American black hole where it will be a white versus black mentality which in turn makes things much much worse....

I would swear that's what they want and the NGOs too as money is to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Sure anyone can pick up a knife, I couldn't tell you where to even go about getting a machete though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Sure anyone can pick up a knife, I couldn't tell you where to even go about getting a machete though.

How many people on this thread have a machete? I would guess few if any.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I literally just Google them, “Machete for sale Ireland” and they’re readily available. The cheapest is less than €30 and available from a supplier in the Munster area.
    Kind of makes you think!

• Advertisement

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    I literally just Google them, “Machete for sale Ireland” and they’re readily available. The cheapest is less than €30 and available from a supplier in the Munster area.
    Kind of makes you think!

You could order a tank if you want.

https://tanks-alot.co.uk/military-vehicles-for-sale/

The point is most people don't have them.

beauf wrote: »
    You could order a tank if you want.

https://tanks-alot.co.uk/military-vehicles-for-sale/

The point is most people don't have them.

The point is they’re readily available, from local Irish based suppliers.

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    The point is they’re readily available, from local Irish based suppliers.

The point being what exactly?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showpost.php?p=67185413&postcount=11

Context is everything. You can get all sorts of things and tools. But if you have them out of context. Like in a shop or a park and no valid reason to have them they are deemed an offensive weapon.

The other point was you only found out by googling it. Didn't know where off the top of your head either. But then again that's true of lots of normal things too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Lets get back on topic now though thanks.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Attempted break in at Orchard Court, Coolmine last night, they popped open the front door with some tool. Thankfully occupants heard them and man of the house ran down the stairs scaring them off. No idea if they tried any others in the area afterwards.

miamee wrote: »
    Attempted break in at Orchard Court, Coolmine last night, they popped open the front door with some tool. Thankfully occupants heard them and man of the house ran down the stairs scaring them off. No idea if they tried any others in the area afterwards.

The euro locks fitted on most modern doors are the cheapest absolute dirt one could buy, recommend everyone checks and buys a anti bump and anti snap type as all they is a vice grips and pull side to side and snap it off, they even have a metal bar to the exact fit for added pressure to snap at times.

Sensor or lighting on all the time too....

Get a WiFi CCTV doorbell or a camera to cover entry points and say side window.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Yep I think all or most of the above will be installed over the coming days, they got a terrible fright tbh.

miamee wrote: »
    Yep I think all or most of the above will be installed over the coming days, they got a terrible fright tbh.

The locks can be changed fairly easy in most cases too....

Have they a nice car or 2?

Would recommend a tracker or added kill switch if yes because they will go after the keys if possible.

It's really not a nice thing to happen and I hope the thugs die in pain that are at this sh1t.

Hope they will come out of it ok, the scare I mean.

• Advertisement

The car is either 2019 or 2020 but not a highly sought after make, fairly normal. Horrible thing to happen making you feel unsafe in your own home.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

The euro locks fitted on most modern doors are the cheapest absolute dirt one could buy, recommend everyone checks and buys a anti bump and anti snap type as all they is a vice grips and pull side to side and snap it off, they even have a metal bar to the exact fit for added pressure to snap at times.

Sensor or lighting on all the time too....

Get a WiFi CCTV doorbell or a camera to cover entry points and say side window.

Can you recommend a particular barrel, maybe throw a link or 2 up to the type you mean.

My old man has some fancy barrel, he has it registered somehow and only him or me are able to get copy keys cut as long as we have the license card.......which he lost! Sorry I don't know the name but Could this be the type you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Seve OB wrote: »
    Can you recommend a particular barrel, maybe throw a link or 2 up to the type you mean.

My old man has some fancy barrel, he has it registered somehow and only him or me are able to get copy keys cut as long as we have the license card.......which he lost! Sorry I don't know the name but Could this be the type you mean?

William’s lock smith’s supply them!

Seve OB wrote: »

Something like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B015YCZR4W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_1IEaGbKKZTRZ5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Can be got here too....

See that isn't available but I wouldn't be buying from UK unless it falls outside the new taxes and charges anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭A Knight of Ireland

Catalytic converters are also being targeted in Dublin 15. Three lads took one off a car in Roselawn also last Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Is there not a neighbourhood watch scheme where residents can come together apply for a grant for cctv. Ithough there was a scheme for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭A Knight of Ireland

Is there, not a neighborhood watch scheme where residents can come together apply for a grant for cctv. I thought there was a scheme for that.

Yes you are right there is indeed

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/CCTV_-_Notes_for_Applicants.pdf/Files/CCTV_-_Notes_for_Applicants.pdf

It came out back in October or was reported in the media then. I presume a Neighbourhood watch committee or a residents association would need to apply.

Has anyone in the Dublin 15 area looked into this?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭konline

Is there not a neighbourhood watch scheme where residents can come together apply for a grant for cctv. Ithough there was a scheme for that.

What I have seen is they don't care even if there's a CCTV. Covid is helping them, they are fully covered their faces with masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

konline wrote: »
    What I have seen is they don't care even if there's a CCTV. Covid is helping them, they are fully covered their faces with masks.

but it would help, which estate would they pick the one with or one without. Alot of criminals are dumb so they would be caught along the line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Daeltaja

Not sure cameras help all that much. A 2019 Kia was stolen from a driveway in Mount Symon a few days ago. The thief was covered head to toe, caught starting right at the camera in broad daylight. Didn't stop him.

Another video doing the rounds of a young lad casually walking into drives checking car doors during the day. I don't think cameras scare them, but it helps build awareness and maybe helps catching them - this particular dope wears the same jacket apparently.

Advertisement