Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

yes indeed it would be great !!!fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Tuesday I was working from home. My van was outside parked on the street. My wife had just left the house, in the car. It may have looked like the house was unoccupied.

Knock on the door so I went to answer. I could see the person leaning over to look into the room at the side of the house. It was a traveller. He asked me did I want my gutters cleaned. Offended that he would think them dirty :D I moved him on.

Yesterday my daughter told me that one of the girls from accross the road came home to an empty house to find somebody out the back garden. She saw them out the kitchen window and he started to pretend he was doing the gutters. He swiftly left. I don't know if he said anything.

This is getting out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Dub XV wrote: »
    Tuesday I was working from home. My van was outside parked on the street. My wife had just left the house in the car. It may have looked like the house was unoccupied.

Knock on the door so I went to answer. I could see the person leaning over to look into the room at the side of the house. It was a traveller. He asked me did I want my gutters cleaned. Offended that he would think them dirty :D I moved him on.

Yesterday my daughter told me that one of the girls from accross the road came home to an empty house to find somebody out the back garden. She saw them out the kitchen window and he started to pretend he was doing the gutters. He swiftly left. I don't know if he said anything.

This is getting out of hand.

What area are you in please as it would help to see where this crowd are focusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

What area are you in please as it would help to see where this crowd are focusing.

From talking to people all over Dublin and indeed around the country, its a common scam everywhere. I don't think people should use any services that go door to door. Only use those recommended by people you know, and services that have been operating for a few years.

Hansfield, Littlepace.

It's just accross the grass area from Rusheeny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

They were at my house a few weeks ago. I just arrived as they were standing in my driveway. No van or anything with them. I will PM the picture of yer man that my IP camera took, would be interested to see if it was the same guy, red hair?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Dub XV wrote: »
    My wife had just left the house in the car.

I had to read that bit 3 times..

Kev. wrote: »
    I had to read that bit 3 times..

Times are tough....house is small :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

just had a persistant guy at the door to cut a long story short i had to run him. rang blanch guards and within a few mins there was a squad car up. guards were grateful for the call saying burglaries are up in the area. whether he was legit or not i dont know but i wasn't taking the chance. he was looking to clean our gutters.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Just Curious about these Break-ins through the Front door . Are they literally kicking random house doors in? Seems very Unusual.

• Advertisement

Just Curious about these Break-ins through the Front door . Are they literally kicking random house doors in? Seems very Unusual.
    <snip>
    This is how my home was done.

So, make sure you lock your doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Yes uPVC doors are desperately easy to get through because they flex very easy. You would be surprised how unsafe they are.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

LaughingJoker91, I've edited your post to remove the exact details of how you were broken in to. While I'm sure that most burglars probably know this already, it's probably best not to give any would-be burglars an instruction manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Does anyone think this thread has ran it's course?

We geddit, there are break ons going on in D15 (and LOTS of other places) and one needs to be security conscious.

These regular updates everyday makes it look like D15 is the crime capital of Ireland. What does this make our community look like to people who wander by the d15 forum?

We live in a nice place! And while we need to be security conscious let's not run our area down too much.

Whaddya think? Time to lock up this thread??? (excuse the pun :) )

Maybe a sticky saying there have been a spate of burglaries in the areas (like most of Dublin) so be careful might suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

amdublin wrote: »
    Does anyone think this thread has ran it's course?

We geddit, there are break ons going on in D15 (and LOTS of other places) and one needs to be security conscious.

These regular updates everyday makes it look like D15 is the crime capital of Ireland. What does this make our community look like to people who wander by the d15 forum?

We live in a nice place! And while we need to be security conscious let's not run our area down too much.

Whaddya think? Time to lock up this thread??? (excuse the pun :) )

Maybe a sticky saying there have been a spate of burglaries in the areas (like most of Dublin) so be careful might suffice?

I think it's very important the thread isn't locked, and it is important that people are kept aware and informed of the crime problems in the area.

I know we live in a nice area but closing the thread won't make the crime go away, leaving it open and updating it will help people to avoid being burgled themselves. We're not running down the area by reporting the crimes, the people who are committing the crimes are the ones doing that.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    I think it's very important the thread isn't locked, and it is important that people are kept aware and informed of the crime problems in the area.

I know we live in a nice area but closing the thread won't make the crime go away, leaving it open and updating it will help people to avoid being burgled themselves. We're not running down the area by reporting the crimes, the people who are committing the crimes are the ones doing that.

Yep that is why I suggested a sticky.

MrSoap - if you were trying to sell your house, do you think this thread would help if would be buyers google d15?

(I'm not selling my house :) I just want to paint a picture :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

I don't really agree (tho i guess thats up to the Mods).
    I think this thread is a mine of info on crime prevention and awareness of various ruses that would-be thieves use.
    Plus it's a place to sound off if someone has interfered with your property, and to get advice on different deterrents - doors, locks, cctv etc. Just my 2c.

zef wrote: »
    I don't really agree (tho i guess thats up to the Mods).
    I think this thread is a mine of info on crime prevention and awareness of various ruses that would-be thieves use.
    Plus it's a place to sound off if someone has interfered with your property, and to get advice on different deterrents - doors, locks, cctv etc. Just my 2c.

I agree ^^^ all of that is great.

What is not great is:
    2 more in xxxx estate last night folks.
    Another 3 done in xxxxxx yesterday.
    My neighbour had a traveller knock on her door this morning
    A man in a van drove around my estate yesterday.

It's very tabloid and scaremongery IMO. Again! There are break ins going on, we need to be careful, I geddit!

Do we need every tawdry detail?! D15 is a big area, proportionately these one or two a night is probably very little and no more than the break ins in say D7.....but jaysis this thread makes it sound like we live in the Bronx!

Do you like that? That this thread makes it sound like you live in a crimefest of an area? Is that how you see your area?

MrSoap - if you were trying to sell your house, do you think this thread would help if would be buyers google d15?

(I'm not selling my house :) I just want to paint a picture :o)

It wouldn't help sell the house, or the value of the house, but the thread is here already so the damage is pretty much done in that respect. Boards isn't here to assist people in selling their houses.

This forum/thread aren't designed to pretend that we live in a perfect area, they're more for people in the area to discuss issues and common interests. And crime does just happen to be a major issue at the moment, as I'm sure it is in most parts of ireland.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/burglaries-personal-thefts-and-fraud-all-on-the-rise-3067195.html

7% increase in burglaries nationwide in 2011.

Do you like that? That this thread makes it sound like you live in a crimefest of an area? Is that how you see your area?

I don't like it, but at the moment we are living in a crimefest, and that is exactly how I see my area at this moment in time. I live in a relatively small estate and know of almost a dozen people who have been victims of a crime that has taken place inside the estate in the last year.

Myself included, twice.

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    It wouldn't help sell the house, or the value of the house, but the thread is here already so the damage is pretty much done in that respect. Boards isn't here to assist people in selling their houses.

This forum/thread aren't designed to pretend that we live in a perfect area, they're more for people in the area to discuss issues and common interests. And crime does just happen to be a major issue at the moment, as I'm sure it is in most parts of ireland.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/burglaries-personal-thefts-and-fraud-all-on-the-rise-3067195.html

7% increase in burglaries nationwide in 2011.

That's my point. There is an increase in burgularies nationwide yet we're the only numpties with a huge thread on it in our forum.

Everyone knows crime is up. Let's not make D15 look worse than any other area.

I just think that this thread while a good source of info at one point it has now ran it's course and is now doing more damage than good.

If you don't know that crime is up and need a reminder/update on crime from this thread every morning then you must be living a bubble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

I think this thread shows that there is a strong community spirit within the D15 area or we wouldn't bother posting.
    I look at this as a form of internet Neighbourhood watch which is informative and important, keep up the good work.
    Giving details about how people break in (without all the details) is also important so we can top up our security, so I would ask Mods to take this into account before removing posts, very few burglars get advice on boards.ie.:rolleyes:
    Please keep the thread open.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

TBH amdublin, I can see where you're coming from, but I am reluctant to close it just because one user asks for it. Personally I think the thread ran it's course months ago, but people seem to feel the need to keep reporting burglaries here, so I've no great reason to stop them. I really hope they're as vigilant about reporting all these crimes/incidents to the gardai.
    On a positive note, hopefully D15 residents might take more care in protecting their homes after reading this thread, and keep an eye on their neighbours homes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

It this threads helps remind people to be more attentive, and to lock doors/windows, and that in turns prevents even one burglary, then the thread has done its job.

This is a valuable thread, even if only to serve as a constant reminder of the rising level of crime in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

I think this thread is very negative for Dublin 15.

I'd much rather positive stories to be highlighted rather then the sighting of every "man in a white van".

I think a sticky with security pointers would be far more preferable.

It really does paint an unnecessarily bad image of D15. Do we really want this for our area?

I think it is great to warn others about burglaries in the area, but is this the place to do it? Anything that is said on here can be read all over the world - why are burglaries happening in D15 relevant to anyone outside of D15???

Neighbourhood watches are very helpful in preventing crimes - if we talked more to our neighbours maybe there would not be a need for threads like this.

Can we think about how we are portraying our lovely area to others. I don't want what we are saying to become a self fulfilling prophecy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Another factor to take into consideration is that burglary, as with almost every crime, is ever-evolving and it's good to share information on new techniques being used so people can adjust, security-wise.

Plus, if I was buying a home, I'd much rather a thread like this that told the actual story of what life is like in an area than the cracks being papered over.

All of that, on balance, is way more important than impressions outsiders may have of D15. If it bothers you, you're probably best just ignoring it.

This is a valuable thread, even if only to serve as a constant reminder of the rising level of crime in the area.

In the area?? In EVERY area no?
    I think this thread would be better off as a security thread in Accomodation & Property rather than in the d15 thread only.

Again I say, if you need a daily update from this thread that house burglaries are up, then you must be living in a bubble.

leggo wrote: »
    Plus, if I was buying a home, I'd much rather a thread like this that told the actual story of what life is like in an area than the cracks being papered over.

Leggo do you live in D15 currently :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Yep. :)

Advertisement