Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Anyone from rusheeny know if the sign works

• Registered Users Posts: 24,104 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its eastern european lads on the vans for those fraudulent collections. The signs are an utter waste of energy, unread and ignored. Better off lobbying the local Garda Super about the criminal activity involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I have a "no junk mail" sticker on my front door. Does the trick for most things but we still get the charity stickers.

I've one of them but usually the only thing that comes through is the religious papers.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I've one of them but usually the only thing that comes through is the religious papers.

We still get the charity things and the local newsletter type things, but they actually work for all the other crap. I notice even the stuff the postman used to deliver with the actual post has stopped coming through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

420 wrote: »
    In tyrellstown main street On Tuesday 23rd at around 5pm , did anybody witness an incident involving a group of <SNIP> males in there 20's whom attacked a couple ,i think the couple were <SNIP> with a new born child in their car out on the middle of the road . These tugs were vicious as they all ganged up on the male and beat him ,smashing the car window as they try to get away from these <SNIP> males. And all this couple where doing was bringing their child out to do their shopping in lidl and go home and enjoy the sun probably..... their was also another incident that took place on the same day , at around 7pm in the evening the same group of lads viciously attacked a staff member of lidl whom was brought hospital with facial injuries . These lads need to be brought to justice and i urge anyone out there with any info to please pass it on the the guards or local committee . Tyrellstown is a lovely livly community with all kinds of race and i fear for my own child's safety ..this is no way for our children to live... People came to Ireland to get away from the awful poverty , cruel hardship, war torn countries ....they came here for a better life and i wouldn't blame them..we all want best for our children but lately Tyrellstown is getting out of control with these thugs terriorising our neighbourhood. Please once again anyone with information on this group please help and stamp this problem out

Regarding the above, roughly around this time a call was made for a number of Pizzas to be delivered in Tyrrelstown. The delivery person delivered and got a bad beating and the pizzas taken off of him.

The phone number and email address used to make the order were provided to the Gardi, but the Gardi did nothing about it - they didn't even contact the number involved. A week later, the number was used again to make an order of Pizza - when passed to the Gardi that it was happening again, they said they had no one to drop up.

CORRECTION: I believe it has now been taken up on. PS: The issue is still relevant and the people behind it.

The lads in question for what i just described were of African origin, but that's neither here nor there, however the reason it needs to be pointed out is that it is most likely the same group who have been causing the majority of the issues mentioned here.

I would hope my post is not edited or altered!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I presume a local councillor is on the case :p

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gabriele

Every summer you can see an increase of anti social behaviors in the area. maybe there is something in other post already, and I apologize if it is, but: is there any link, or any information about neighborhood watch in Hartstown?

Google was not my friend on this matter....

In relation to official Neighbourhood Watch, contact the Community Garda in the relevant station, they or another member will be the designated co-ordinator and they can put you in touch with the local contacts. Unfortunately there is not a good participation in NW these days generally

Regarding the Tyrrellstown incidents, I have sympathy for the Garda resources, Blanch station is stretched over a population of around 100,000 with a little bit of support from Lucan and Navan Road. However there are 2 cabinet ministers representing this area, if enough people badger them that they are very poorly served by policing response, they will take notice, particularly over the next 2 years as the election looms......

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

brightkane wrote: »

We have them in Allendale and they do work.

We get no clothes collection letters in our door.If anybody in the estate sees them getting delivered they would make it a point to tell them they are not wanted.

I have a "no junk mail" sticker on my front door. Does the trick for most things but we still get the charity stickers.

brightkane wrote: »

What do you regard as Junk mail?

I would regard free advertising, leaflets etc as junk mail as it is unsolicited.

Would you regard the following as Junkmail?

1 - A newsletter from your local sports club? YES/NO
    2 - A leaflet from your local elected representative? YES/NO
    3 - A Blanch gazette, or Community voice Newspaper? YES/NO

• Advertisement

What do you regard as Junk mail?

I would regard free advertising, leaflets etc as junk mail as it is unsolicited.

Would you regard the following as Junkmail?

1 - A newsletter from your local sports club? YES/NO
    2 - A leaflet from your local elected representative? YES/NO
    3 - A Blanch gazette, or Community voice Newspaper? YES/NO

Yes - all of them are junk mail to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Yes - all of them are junk mail to me.

Yes, me too. Unless it has my name on it, it's junk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Same, it's all junk mail. Anything that is not addressed to me by name is junk mail (so even those "The Occupier" letters are junk). If I wanted leaflets from sports clubs etc I'd sign up to their mailing list.

January wrote: »
    Same, it's all junk mail. Anything that is not addressed to me by name is junk mail (so even those "The Occupier" letters are junk). If I wanted leaflets from sports clubs etc I'd sign up to their mailing list.

This +1

Our place is gated so we probably get a lot less of it than some, but when the green bin is going out you notice how much utter cr@p you get through your door in a month. If I ate off every takeaway menu that came through the door Id be too fat to type this.

Unfortunately the OH wont allow a 'No Junk Mail' sticker, itll ruin her cherrywood varnish job apparently :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Apparently quite a lot of Garda helicopter activity over Clonsilla last night, anyone know what went down?

Interesting responses.

Can I ask you though, would you be the the type of people (I'm not suggesting you are, but they do exist) who claim that they are never informed of anything or don't see what s going on, or indeed have an opinion that nothing is being done etc ?

The reason I ask is that very opinionated people are usually the ones who have 'no junk mail' signs on their door but are also the same vocal type who complain about, or have an opinion or a perception that is usually down to their own ignorance.

AGAIN, I'm not suggesting you are that type, but you are certainly opinionated enough to be on this forum, voicing opinions but preferring to have nothing through your door unless it is actually addressed to you. :-)

I understand your position on junk mail, but let's be honest - the majority of people don't bother to research or indeed look-up everything going on their area and sometimes need the information rammed down their throat, via their letterbox :)

My own view, and I'm new to it as I only recently moved in to Rusheeny, is to accept everything and scan it, then decide to throw away what I don't want in to my free Green bin. One such leaflet was of a company installing iron gates and I'm interested in them and will choose the company who are actively looking for the business so i think there is some useful stuff - not to mention my menu for the 'Dragon Inn' :-)

Interesting responses.

Can I ask you though, would you be the the type of people (I'm not suggesting you are, but they do exist) who claim that they are never informed of anything or don't see what s going on, or indeed have an opinion that nothing is being done etc ?

The reason I ask is that very opinionated people are usually the ones who have 'no junk mail' signs on their door but are also the same vocal type who complain about, or have an opinion or a perception that is usually down to their own ignorance.

AGAIN, I'm not suggesting you are that type, but you are certainly opinionated enough to be on this forum, voicing opinions but preferring to have nothing through your door unless it is actually addressed to you. :-)

I understand your position on junk mail, but let's be honest - the majority of people don't bother to research or indeed look-up everything going on their area and sometimes need the information rammed down their throat, via their letterbox :)

My own view, and I'm new to it as I only recently moved in to Rusheeny, is to accept everything and scan it, then decide to throw away what I don't want in to my free Green bin. One such leaflet was of a company installing iron gates and I'm interested in them and will choose the company who are actively looking for the business so i think there is some useful stuff - not to mention my menu for the 'Dragon Inn' :-)

Well no, but then again in interested enough and active enough in my community to follow local Facebook pages and the Dublin 15 forum on boards...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Well no, but then again in interested enough and active enough in my community to follow local Facebook pages and the Dublin 15 forum on boards...

Yeah, I get most of my local news here!

Perhaps you only get the news that appears here, as opposed to most of the actual news. ;)

Perhaps you only get the news that appears here, as opposed to most of the actual news. ;)

As I said, I'm involved in the parts of my community that I want to be aware of.

• Advertisement

In fairness Chuck, the two aren't mutually exclusive.

No I don't like to get anything unsolicited. If I want a product or service I'll go and research it. If I want email updates etc I'll pick and choose carefully for what and who from

As for community news, I read all the local papers, am on the board of our management company, know a lot of the local public reps to deal with and I initiate and get involved with local events

People using leaflets or fliers for local events should know well theyre going to get mixed in with 10 other glossy leaflets for the local pubs and takeaways and probably binned without heed.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Agree with everyone else RE: junk mail.

If it's not addressed to me specifically and being carried by the postman/courier then I don't want it.

If I have an issue that I feel the need to go to the local councilors/politicians etc. about then I will keep myself informed of their progress. If I want to know what a sports club or community group are up to I'll contact them directly and find out.

Most of the local newsletters and leaflets have bugger all in them anyway. They're a waste of paper never mind being junk mail.

In this day and age where everyone and their mother is on facebook or twitter or whatever else there is I see no need for anything like that being printed.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Apparently quite a lot of Garda helicopter activity over Clonsilla last night, anyone know what went down?

No, didn't hear anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I heard it last night but not for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

I heard it about 10.30 last night and I'm in hartstown, near to the ongar link road. Heard it loudly hovering before moving away returning again several times. No idea what was going on though, all quiet in my own wee cul de sac :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

It was hovering directly over the Rusheeny roundabout quite low for 5 mins and moved towards Beechwood Downs and put the spotlight on for a bit ... I also heard there was Garda in the Hartstown Park

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Don't know if it is related to the flyby last night, but a section of the Ongar distributor road was closed off today with crime scene tape and Gardai were diverting traffic down onto the Clonsilla road at Ravellos. I could see the bent up remains of a bike on the cycle lane in the middle of where the scene was taped off, so looks like a cyclist was hit by a car that veered off the road and onto the path. Hope there was nobody seriously hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Arciphel wrote: »
    Don't know if it is related to the flyby last night, but a section of the Ongar distributor road was closed off today with crime scene tape and Gardai were diverting traffic down onto the Clonsilla road at Ravellos. I could see the bent up remains of a bike on the cycle lane in the middle of where the scene was taped off, so looks like a cyclist was hit by a car that veered off the road and onto the path. Hope there was nobody seriously hurt.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057006510

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

dickwod1 wrote: »

Jeez, hope the cyclist is alright. It looked like the vehicle must have mounted the footpath and hit them. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I have a No Junk Mail sign on my door also and it has worked wonders.

Advertisement