Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I think you know what the most likely explanation is.

You shouldnt be unduly frightened by it, but scoping letter boxes for access to car keys has become among the most common burglary methods. You can either fit a deflector plate that makes it impossible to see in or use a probe, or fit a letter basket. Alternatively you could fit an outside lockable post box and block your door slot up completely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I think you know what the most likely explanation is.

You shouldnt be unduly frightened by it, but scoping letter boxes for access to car keys has become among the most common burglary methods. You can either fit a deflector plate that makes it impossible to see in or use a probe, or fit a letter basket. Alternatively you could fit an outside lockable post box and block your door slot up completely

Yeah, figured it could be something like that... Not sure my 04 Ford is worth the hassle though. Thing is it was pretty obvious someone was still up, it was only 11.30. Might separate my house keys from the car key from now on though, they're welcome to the car if that's what they want!

Going to replace the letter box plate anyway, the outside one has been driving me crazy in the wind

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

athtrasna wrote: »
    Yeah, figured it could be something like that... Not sure my 04 Ford is worth the hassle though. Thing is it was pretty obvious someone was still up, it was only 11.30. Might separate my house keys from the car key from now on though, they're welcome to the car if that's what they want!

Going to replace the letter box plate anyway, the outside one has been driving me crazy in the wind

Be careful. A family member in clonee has something happen a week or so ago. This car drove in near their house (a cul de sac i think that's the spelling) at about 11.30 pm. They left and returned at 3am trying to brake into the van where the family member had his work tools :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

And there was I was all happy having replaced my locks before Christmas. I'm hoping it wasn't sinister but will take no chances. Off to purchase a new letter box and cage on the way home tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

What sort of scum breaks into a Primary School >:(

One of my daughters was upset during the week discussing broken glass in her class room and telling me that bad guys came in during the night and stole things from School. Thankfully there has been no nightmares (unlike the last time it happened), but it certainly impacted her and she's an emotionally robust child. Then today the older one was lamenting how sad she feels that her teachers guitar was stolen and how their singing just isn't as enjoyable for her without him playing guitar. Its beyond disgusting >:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Our school is regularly broken into. The summer holidays saw the computer room being cleared of it's contents.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

KGLady wrote: »

One of my daughters was upset during the week discussing broken glass in her class room and telling me that bad guys came in during the night and stole things from School. Thankfully there has been no nightmares (unlike the last time it happened), but it certainly impacted her and she's an emotionally robust child. Then today the older one was lamenting how sad she feels that her teachers guitar was stolen and how their singing just isn't as enjoyable for her without him playing guitar. Its beyond disgusting >:(

Unless the kids were there when it happened I see no need to tell them that that is what has happened. Seems a bit weird to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

January wrote: »
    Our school is regularly broken into. The summer holidays saw the computer room being cleared of it's contents.

That would have taken planning and transport :( Its really disgusting.
    Unless the kids were there when it happened I see no need to tell them that that is what has happened. Seems a bit weird to me.

There was smashed glass as the thief entered through the external door in her actual class room and things were missing, its unavoidable that the children were aware something had occurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭phoenix49

KGLady wrote: »

This is awful, kids don't deserve to see this and be the victim of such things :(. In which school did this happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Should survilance cameras be used more in public areas .. example at the entrante to housing estates etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Not much point unless someone is monitoring them actively and there are Garda resources available to respond. That costs money so it's unlikely to happen I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Spar in Carpenterstown held up around 7pm, looks like Leo Varadkar was canvassing outside or nearby at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Spar in Carpenterstown held up around 7pm, looks like Leo Varadkar was canvassing outside or nearby at the time

Story on The Journal says Leo but comments underneath say Greens and FF were canvassing the same area and it was actually the Green's man that was on the scene as it happened, called the Gardai etc. Leo didn't show up until 5 minutes later.

All irrelevant, of course, the trend of scum holding up shops and other businesses is the real problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Seems an armed robbery took place in spar last night using a sword and hand gun.

Even Leo was there to see it happen!

Luckily no one was injured and the scum will be caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

On Morning Ireland this morning one of the FF canvassers said he saw it and gave chase. Then he launched into a spiel about how he was on hold to 999 for 10 minutes and Leo didn't seem concerned. He did admit that Leo told him Roderic O'Gorman had already reported it to 999.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Councillor Roderic O'Gorman interviewed on Today FM (Anton Savage show). He said that he and Jack Chambers were outside The Carpenter pub chatting before each set off on their canvass. They saw two guys run out of the Spar and into Warren Green estate through a gap in the metal fence. A Green canvasser and a FF canvasser ran after them. It sounded like they gave up when they got to the fence. Roderic rang the Gardai and gave statements when they arrived.

About 45 mins later Roderic and his team found a wallet that was stolen and then saw the culprits on the 37 bus. They rang the Gardai again and gave more statements. Bus was stopped but culprits had gotten off bus already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Howard Mahoney, a FF canvasser, spoke on RTE radio 1 this morning and admitted that Chambers was not at the scene when it happened. Varadkar called it political opportunism to suggest he was.

One more thing, Howard is an retired Garda, so how did he not know of all people to call 112 which will break any phone connection in order to give him priority.

Anyway, the actual people that experienced it were staff - but you won't see them on the media.

One more thing, Howard is an retired Garda, so how did he not know of all people to call 112 which will break any phone connection in order to give him priority.
    When you ring 112 or 999 from a mobile you are asked if there is an emergency in Dublin (or the country you are detected being in) and then another operator asks which service you want and then you report the incident (I've called 112 a number of times when around the country).

Can you please explain the "break any phone connection". The calls do not go to the Garda station so you are not encountering the 'rarely answer the phone' situation that happens in Blanchardstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Roderic said that Leo went into the shop to see if people were okay. He (Roderic) seems like a decent guy. He gave credit to everyone involved regardless of their party.

• Advertisement

daymobrew wrote: »
    When you ring 112 or 999 from a mobile you are asked if there is an emergency in Dublin (or the country you are detected being in) and then another operator asks which service you want and then you report the incident (I've called 112 a number of times when around the country).

Can you please explain the "break any phone connection". The calls do not go to the Garda station so you are not encountering the 'rarely answer the phone' situation that happens in Blanchardstown.

If network were busy, the 112 call will drop them off to favour their call.

If network were busy, the 112 call will drop them off to favour their call.
    Drop non-emergency calls to favour the 112 call? I did not know this.

Anyhow, I would take a claim of "on hold for 10 mins" with a big bag of salt.

daymobrew wrote: »
    Drop non-emergency calls to favour the 112 call? I did not know this.

Anyhow, I would take a claim of "on hold for 10 mins" with a big bag of salt.

You may not have know about it, but an ex garda would have or should have, so you'll need a big bag of salt to swallow that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Seems an armed robbery took place in spar last night using a sword and hand gun.

Even Leo was there to see it happen!

Luckily no one was injured and the scum will be caught.

Unlikely anything will be done about these scum. Normally these pair escape on a bike though rather then the bus. I don't know how true it is but it was was mentioned that they took money from a small child.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

You may not have know about it, but an ex garda would have or should have, so you'll need a big bag of salt to swallow that one.

How does ringing 112 have anything to do with being on hold to 999 for 10 minutes though?

digiman wrote: »
    How does ringing 112 have anything to do with being on hold to 999 for 10 minutes though?
    112/999 is the same thing. I was disputing the FF canvasser's claim that they were on hold for 10 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The 10 minute claim is nonsense I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

That ex-Garda FF'er came across as an unmitigated tool on the radio. Talk about poor judgement to turn into a blame Leo opportunity. I wonder can I unvote for Chambers even more than I was going to? Negative marking perhaps ;)

Larbre34 wrote: »
    That ex-Garda FF'er came across as an unmitigated tool on the radio. Talk about poor judgement to turn into a blame Leo opportunity. I wonder can I unvote for Chambers even more than I was going to? Negative marking perhaps ;)

That's modern politics. No matter what happens they don't even bother trying to find a solution or offer ideas, instead they just use the opportunity to point the finger at someone else. They're all as bad as each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Still we will continue to have these criminals running around ... caught or not its all the same ..Might as well just have a rob what you want hour , at least then no one gets Hurt.

Voice your concern when you see these politicans ask them what they have done about it?

Advertisement