Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murroe & New York

• 10-12-2011 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭

One of the most bizarre statements ever!! Whatever he was smoking, it must be some good s**t
    Murroe is like a mini New York says UL lecturer
    By Donal O’Regan
    AT FIRST glance the city that never sleeps and a serene County Limerick village don’t have a lot in common.

However, if you delve a little deeper their similarities become more and more apparent says Stephen Kinsella, UL Economics lecturer.

He has written three books and plans to tease out the comparison between New York and Murroe in his next title and look at the development of villages like Murroe.

Mr Kinsella lived and worked in Manhattan from 2005 to late 2006 before returning to Ireland and settling in Murroe. New York is home to millions, Murroe to a couple of thousand, but their outlook is very similar.

“What struck me about living in New York is how multi-cultural it was. Nobody was from there. There were very few people born and raised in Manhattan that I knew. Everyone was from somewhere else.

They had come there for a reason - either to work or to study or to raise their children. Murroe is a lot like that,” said Mr Kinsella,

There is the indigenous population of the parish of Murroe/Boher but it has seen a population explosion. In less than 10 years the number of households has quadrupled from 400 to over 1600, said Mr Kinsella.

“Murroe is a very positive place, you get that sense when you’re there. I walk my children around the village the whole time. I meet people who are very friendly and nice. They are very positive and optimistic about things, you had the same thing in New York. Everything was very positive,” he said.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local/murroe_is_like_a_mini_new_york_says_ul_lecturer_1_3310154?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Mc Love wrote: »
    One of the most bizarre statements ever!! Whatever he was smoking, it must be some good s**t

It's obvious really - Murroe = New York divided by a very high number indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The same could be said about anywhere in Ireland/rest of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

So people are nice in Murroe and New York......that's pretty much the only comparison I could see in the article.

Let's expand on this theory,Limerick is like a mini London, because they both have tesco stores!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Mc Love wrote: »
    "Murroe is like a mini New York says UL lecturer"
    my face when I read that
    378945_2795222481209_1277863976_3220609_1451934306_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

source wrote: »
    So people are nice in Murroe and New York......that's pretty much the only comparison I could see in the article.

Let's expand on this theory,Limerick is like a mini London, because they both have tesco stores!

ha ha,

Limerick is like a mini Dublin, because they both have an O'Connell St. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

London's just a miniature version of Cratloe, really.

Here's a Murrovite friend of mine's response to that article:
    Well you'd be surprised how exciting this sleepy little village can be. We've had a murder, a hash plot was found, a raid on a house for stolen computer parts, countless raids for drugs. . The list goes on. To be honest I think the comparison isn't all that far off ;-) think we may need to start a screening process for people moving out here though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

I think he just made a point that a lot of people living in Murroe aren't from Murroe, just as a lot of people in NY aren't from there, which is a fair enough point, and they're both nice enough places, which is also fair enough.

Some editor slaps "Murroe is like a mini New York" on top, and he ends up looking like a gob****e. Bit harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Man makes a comparison between 2 things , people over-react because of the contrast between the 2 things and the headline created by an over zealous sub editor looking to generate web traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Stephen Kinsella is a well respected economist. It might seem like a funny comparison to some people but the points he is making are valid.

Advertisement