Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying audience member grumbles

Options
  • 11-12-2011 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭

I recall a Midlake gig that I went to, and this idiot next to me kept shouting "Head Home!" (a song of theirs) every single time they ended a song. Unfortunately, they played it last in the set...

What did he expect, that they would shout "ok!" and start playing it?

Another for me is people who insist on recording the entire gig on their iPhone.

Just watch the bloody gig.

/rant

Any experiences of your own?

Comments

And the more drunk, the more annoying in my experience.

Here's an interesting article by the Indie Professor Wendy Fonarow in the Guardian.

"Why shout for a song the band will never play? When a guy yells for an obscure B-side the band haven't played in 17 years, he isn't talking to them; he's talking to you."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2010/aug/16/indie

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

meh, ignore them and focus on having a good night out. No point in getting hung up on what someone else is doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

lordgoat wrote: »
    meh, ignore them and focus on having a good night out. No point in getting hung up on what someone else is doing.

I would agree normally, and I do most of the time. But some guys are just unbearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

There was a drunk guy who decided to turn around, put his hands up, start screaming and let himself fall against everyone around him during Radiohead in Malahide Castle in 2008. If he did it during Just or Jigsaw Falling Into Place or something nobody would've noticed/he would have had to stand up properly, but he decided to do it during Nude :mad:

Just to show rules are always broken. I went to see Tom Barman play with a piano player in HQ (that long ago!). There was one guy in the audience shouting, "Sister Dew, Sister Dew" all through the gig. Tom then said, I haven't played that song in years. I hope I remember it. They started playing it, messed up, and started again from the start.

He then said, "Happy? It obviously must mean a lot" :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

Just to show rules are always broken. I went to see Tom Barman play with a piano player in HQ (that long ago!). There was one guy in the audience shouting, "Sister Dew, Sister Dew" all through the gig. Tom then said, I haven't played that song in years. I hope I remember it. They started playing it, messed up, and started again from the start.

He then said, "Happy? It obviously must mean a lot" :D

Perhaps in smaller audiences that works, but this was at the Marquee. He didn't stand a chance of being heard, why was he doing it?

That same gig, when Grizzly Bear were playing, myself and the girl went to sit down in the stands, as our legs were bate. We sat in front of these two guys who started moronically shouting "woooo!" every minute. I chose to ignore it, as most would. But no, that wasn't enough for this retard, he then proceeded to tap me on the shoulder shouting "Woooo!", and smiling as if I should join him on Planet Fu(kwit. I then moved away.

It just wasn't my night...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

I remember seeing Morrissey in Kilmainham. We were standing about half way back from the stage and some idiot was clearly not enjoying the set list and kept shouting "Boo!" . After awhile i got pissed off and turned around and said "he can't fúkin hear you" his comeback was "emm well he can't hear you either!" i told him i didn't want to be heard and turned around again. He shut up after that.
    You always get idiots like this , nearly as bad is people that won't shut up taking and then go crazy when the one song they know is being played.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

people that won't shut up taking and then go crazy when the one song they know is being played.

This, this, this. Drives me crazy.
    Bon Iver's GCT gig a while ago should have been absolutely sublime, and pretty much was except for two lads in front of me and another group of three behind who couldn't shut the fuck up. Except of course when their favourite songs were played. And they'd intentionally wait to speak during quiet moments so that they could hear each other. It ain't an AC/DC gig, nor is it a pub, which is where you should have gone if you just wanted to drink and chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I went to see Bob Dylan in Kilkenny years ago. It was an outdoor festival so you could stand anywhere. I had been waiting all day to see him (although in fairness there were some other great bands). When he came onstage a woman who seemed to have just arrived pushed past everyone to get closer to the stage. Eventually she made it up to where I was standing and started headbanging (which isn't something you'd expect at a Bob Dylan concert) and almost headbutted me. Then she drunkenly fell over and grabbed my arm to pull herself up, almost pulling my arm out of its socket.

To make matters worse Bob Dylan hadn't played any of my favourite songs up to this point, and the woman decided to pick the exact moment he started playing Lay Lady Lay (one of my favourite songs of his) to be a nuisance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

(although in fairness there were some other great bands)

The Flaming Lips :cool:

That was my first Lips gig! I had a savage time down there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

almost headbutted me
    If someone tries this, I tend to shove them out of the way unless they're bigger than me. But to be fair, 99.9% of the time if they're bigger than me they have enough cop on not to act the prat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

women screaming at gigs, as songs are about to start in a set. iIt's prob just the high pitched screams you hear over the lads, but it's annoying. Happens at every bloody gig I'm at, and it's all over live albums, just these silly screams...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Whelans is an awful venue for it I've found. Folk standing around talking the entire show. It's their business but I think it's rude and I can't understand splashing out €16+ on a ticket only to ignore a band you presumably like.

On the subject of the shouted song request, I remember seeing a Jim Reid solo show and somebody requested a Mary Chain song during the set. He responded with "wrong band, wrong decade" which gave me a chuckle. That said, his solo stuff was horrid so the shouter might have had a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

I remember the last time I was at Nouvelle Vague in Tripod.

All you could hear, all of the time was just people chatting away, having full blown random conversations the entire time. There were rakes of French there, and it was only the Irish that i could talking.

Rediculous, I was watching video's on Youtube of other performances by them in similar sized venues around Europe. Same type of crowd / music fans, no noise.

Must be an Irish thing to talk through gigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Varkov wrote: »
    I remember the last time I was at Nouvelle Vague in Tripod.

All you could hear, all of the time was just people chatting away, having full blown random conversations the entire time. There were rakes of French there, and it was only the Irish that i could talking.

Rediculous, I was watching video's on Youtube of other performances by them in similar sized venues around Europe. Same type of crowd / music fans, no noise.

Must be an Irish thing to talk through gigs.

I was at that gig and the chatter was really annoying. I think the stone walls in the tripod really don't help when it comes to stuff like that.

The previous gig I was at was the last gig LCD Soundsystem. I was with my brother and the two of us were sober as judges. We had picked a decent spot to check out the band and bop along. About 3 songs in, this couple pissed out of their brains barged their way in front of us and proceeded to keep jumping into us and falling around the place. After a couple of songs I got tired of this and when one of them fell into me yet again I shoved them away. This resulted in them giving me a load of lip - well the fella backed down when I had to bend down to hear what he was saying (he was about a foot smaller and 4/5 stone lighter than me) and he probably realised I was completely sober as well. But the missus keep on giving me jip for about half an hour - sticking her arms up to block my view and trying to provoke me so that her boyfriend would have to step in and defend her honour which he no intention of doing (after a while he was doing his best to get her to calm down). Extremely annoying twunt. I don't mind people getting pissed going to gigs but when you're falling around the place, making a fool of yourself and being an obnoxious wanker to the people around you, you should be thrown out of the fecking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

I saw Evanescence at a festival a few years ago and some numpty behind me kept booing them and shouting '"We want REAL METAL!"
    I was too quiet at the time but I should have turned around and told him that they were blatantly a rock band and have always called themselves a rock band. Then again, they were on before Korn so that kind of reaction was expected.

I saw Dream Theater recently, and during the most intense part of the gig (the instrumental of Outcry which I had been really looking forward to), two guys just start having a conversation behind me out of nowhere. The worst part is that it was seated and I couldn't move away. They had been quiet through the whole thing and during my favorite part they had to start talking. Typical :/

Also, I happen to be a tall person, and I get a lot of people asking to go in front of me because they're shorter. I used to oblige until I realised it ends in a chain reaction with everyone who happens to be shorter than me asking to go in front. Nowadays I just keep my place and look like an asshole.

Advertisement