Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tournament Idea: Best of All Worlds (2 games from every FG Fans Group) Opinions

Options
  • 11-12-2011 3:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭

Lads looking for a once off tournament to bring the entire community together with a bonanza of games, Want to call it BoBW (Best of both worlds) or something along those lines.

Thinking about 4 setups, 6 games with 2 games running at the same time. games include 2 games from everyone's taste, heres what I'm thinking games wise. 1.BlazBlue & KOF13, 2. SF4 & UMVC3, 3. MK9 & Tekken 6.

Now the point is that once somebody pays the entrance fee, that person is entered into all 6 games, it's more to explore and discover what games people may be bypassing, opening your mind to other peoples tastes and just have fun with people you maybe don't talk to in the community, or don't know, or playing them at their own game. SO, just an idea, can I get some opinions?

There shall be drinks afterwards.

Just trying to bring our ever growing community together. I realize this is essentially DoC in a way, but after every tournament, it seems that we start with AE teams, when thats done, one third of the crowd leaves, then after MVC3, the second third leaves, and theres no love for other games, and the community is split between 3 groups.

What do you all think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

Me and Chuey just came up with an idea, mostly his, but what about each FG takes their top 3 - 5 players, and they are to play in a tournament/league against each other groups top 3-5, in every FG that is usually played. For example:

BB team vs MVC team in BB, then in MVC, then in KoF, then in SF, then in MK, then in Tekken. Then the BB team vs MK team in all the mentioned games, then MK vs SF in the games played, then SF vs MVC team in all the games. You get the idea. This encourages you to not pick just your best players, but your good players that can also play other games quite well, so that your team has a better chance of doing well in the other games they aren't representing. :]

Random order, doesn't matter, but then at least this would encourage each team/players to learn a bit of the other games, just to beat the other teams that don't specialize in games other than their own, and would just be a fun type of event. Doesn't have to be a one day thing, could be an ongoing casuals thing or something.

This would be better than DoC v2 I think, which is essentially the same thing as DoC, just a tournament, there's nothing enticing the other players to go play the other games or even learn them, it's just down to whether the other players want to try learn other things or not. Also bragging rights for the most skilled community. ;P

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

Linoud wrote: »
    Me and Chuey just came up with an idea, mostly his, but what about each FG takes their top 3 - 5 players, and they are to play in a tournament/league against each other groups top 3-5, in every FG that is usually played. For example:

BB team vs MVC team in BB, then in MVC, then in KoF, then in SF, then in MK, then in Tekken. Then the BB team vs MK team in all the mentioned games, then MK vs SF in the games played, then SF vs MVC team in all the games. You get the idea. This encourages you to not pick just your best players, but your good players that can also play other games quite well, so that your team has a better chance of doing well in the other games they aren't representing. :]

Random order, doesn't matter, but then at least this would encourage each team/players to learn a bit of the other games, just to beat the other teams that don't specialize in games other than their own, and would just be a fun type of event. Doesn't have to be a one day thing, could be an ongoing casuals thing or something.

This would be better than DoC v2 I think, which is essentially the same thing as DoC, just a tournament, there's nothing enticing the other players to go play the other games or even learn them, it's just down to whether the other players want to try learn other things or not. Also bragging rights for the most skilled community. ;P

Ken stole my idea :p hahahaha just joking, he was typing what i was thinking. The only problem is deciding what game you would represent, cause i could reprent kof or bb.

Ken came up with an addition, we could rotate which game is being played each month etc, like each team plays each other in MVC for the month or two weeks, then all the teams playoff in the next game, being BB. Also the format would be A v A, B v B, C v C, so there wouldn't be just one person carrying a team representing a game, and everyone gets turns playing.

Also with games being rotated monthly, it would encourage people to pickup new games, and we could insert them into the rotation. It would be more of a league system, with the team with the most points being called the winner in the end. We couldn't say if there would be a prize or not, this sort of idea would certainly merit one if it is actually done, but it'd be too early to decide anything like that. Just tossing ideas out here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

BB team vs MVC team in BB, then in MVC, then in KoF, then in SF, then in MK, then in Tekken. Random order, doesn't matter, but then at least this would encourage each team/players to learn a bit of the other games, just to beat the other teams that don't specialize in games other than their own, and would just be a fun type of event. Doesn't have to be a one day thing, could be an ongoing casuals thing or something.

i dunno if its cause im had a few drinks since i got home but this sounds like it could be really fun while bridging the gaps between diff games at the same time ,win,win
    (as long as just doesnt turn into a another chance to bash on peoples games while there playing them,opinions are fine,just less of the hate)

also team mk will have kuro, "man of a thousand games" so we'll be sorted :cool:

i dunno if its cause im had a few drinks since i got home but this sounds like it could be really fun while bridging the gaps between diff games at the same time ,win,win
    (as long as just doesnt turn into a another chance to bash on peoples games while there playing them,opinions are fine,just less of the hate)

also team mk will have kuro, "man of a thousand games" so we'll be sorted :cool:

will he represent Mk or tekken or kof thats the question ^__^

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm the best at 3S.

FU Dreddy, I taught you all you need to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Kuro Tao

chueytoo wrote: »
    will he represent Mk or tekken or kof thats the question ^__^

This is kind of exactly what I was going to ask.

This idea is brilliant in theory but has too many practical flaws, like what if a dude likes several games/doesn't have a favourite?
    What if we were to take out the game representation part, and just make teams of 5? And instead of a tournament, make a league. :P

Kuro Tao wrote: »

This idea is brilliant in theory but has too many practical flaws, like what if a dude likes several games/doesn't have a favourite?
    What if we were to take out the game representation part, and just make teams of 5? And instead of a tournament, make a league. :P

yeah its mostly a league

but its yoru choice to choose, which is your mian game etc. But a random team of 5 could work as well, but then it will take longer to run. also this wouldn't stop people choosing 5 of the best players at each game or else get 5 of the best players at multiple or at competent level of each game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

no need to ask, your team mk (or else):P

but good point about some people main/very good at more than 1 game

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Oh, also:

Lads, you're needlessly complicating shít.
    I know your heart's in the right place, but I'm gonna say "No".

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Kuro Tao

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Oh, also:

Lads, you're needlessly complicating shít.
    I know your heart's in the right place, but I'm gonna say "No".

Wait, what?
    It's still just a concept, we're discussing how to make something like this happen, and it really does sound like a lot of fun.
    I'm going to have to say "No." by itself isn't very constructive criticism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I would have no idea where I'll place lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

I think it's a problem that you have to be in the top 3-5 of a game to enter. What about the people who play quite regularly and are good but just don't place that well in tournaments? I know there'd likely to be a lot of time constraints as it is but not allowing someone to enter because they don't place high doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

As long as time allows, I'd say allow people to make teams of 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

Yeah it's mostly just an idea, time constraints would be the biggest problem for it, as if we add too many teams, it would take too long to do a number of teams.

And we don't mean the top 3 - 5 in terms of seedings. We mean three - five players in your games playerbase, whom could be chosen based on nominations within that playerbase, or you could nominate Team Captains.

There would be no point in putting in your best players at BB who only play BB, sure you would secure your best games points, but you wouldn't win in the other games played, unless you learned enough of the games to beat the other teams that don't main it. :P

The reason we want it as teams representing the games is that people won't be able to just assemble the best team with the best player from each game. This way if a team wanted to do well, they'd have to get players to represent their game that can adapt or learn the basics of other games, so their team wins. It'd be good craic to see the BB team vs SF in Mortal Kombat for example. :P Or the MK team versus the Marvel team in SF.

Yeah the whole point of the idea was to play other games against another team at a game neither of us played. Like Ken said SF team vs BB team in like tekken or Mk. OR the MK team vs SF team in BB

I think 5 per team/game would be best. I do understand the problem of getting the ppl or some people might feel left out. BUt also there are people that wouldn't want to waste there day to play the game they hate (so they most likely wouldn't want to be part of it)

also for eg, if one of the month is only sf4 so all the teams have to play in that game, yeah that means you will see the 5 BB/mk/kof/tekken etc etc sitting there that day playing SF4. YOu can open it up to people not in teams to come and have a big casual as well playing against people at all level of play.

Ps this is different to Xinkai idea, wasn't sure should we make are own post. So we kinda hijack his page soz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

Logistically speaking, this seems like a nightmare. How will you 3 double tournaments? Single elim, double? If it's anything but single, then you'll get bottle necks chocking you up. As it stands, whenever DoC does its dual tournamenting, we get seriously choked on time by comparison to other tournaments.
    And trying to run it all on 4 setups? We can barely manage 2 hours for a 16-24 man bracket with close to 8 setups, on our single tournaments.

And as for DoC, because of the pricing structure, most people tend to play in multiple tournaments. If people don't want to play in a tournament, that's their decision, and I doubt having to bounce between setups and game types will make them any more willing to jump on board.

Voa wrote: »
    Logistically speaking, this seems like a nightmare. How will you 3 double tournaments? Single elim, double? If it's anything but single, then you'll get bottle necks chocking you up. As it stands, whenever DoC does its dual tournamenting, we get seriously choked on time by comparison to other tournaments.
    And trying to run it all on 4 setups? We can barely manage 2 hours for a 16-24 man bracket with close to 8 setups, on our single tournaments.

And as for DoC, because of the pricing structure, most people tend to play in multiple tournaments. If people don't want to play in a tournament, that's their decision, and I doubt having to bounce between setups and game types will make them any more willing to jump on board.

This is for Xinkai idea or mine and ken idea???
    Sound like it's for xinkai idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

I was replying to Xinkai's idea. Skimmed over yours and ken's:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Please lock this thread as Joe's idea is better, and I'll be supporting his, thus leaving this thread useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭powerofscience

I like Joe and Ken's idea...but what about all the butthurt people who don't get picked for teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Xinkai wrote: »
    Please lock this thread as Joe's idea is better, and I'll be supporting his, thus leaving this thread useless.

Incorrect.

Neither of these threads are a good idea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement