Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people thank a mod who closes a thread so much??

Options
  • 11-12-2011 4:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭

you see it so much.
    For an example: Guy posts a random question about something in Dublin. Mod closes it saying "try the dublin forum" ... thanks, thanks, thanks :confused: .. by regular users. Not other mods now.

Or a mod closes a thread that they deem not suitable for the forum. Thanks thanks thanks :confused:

Why do people do that?
    Personally, it feels like people kissing a mod's ass. I know that sounds silly. But why do it? .. Also feels like they'd be the same people to practually blow someone with any tiny bit of 'power' in real life too.... Like a personality trait carring over to online.

(oh and i am aware a mod would love to close this, and for that post to get thanked the most :rolleyes:)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

How this will go:

a few replies, a mod locks it, everyone thanks the mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

MOD ASS kissing is a no no. the mods are out to banjax us all but do say happy christmas to you're nearest mod when you can :pac::pac::pac: let the ass-licking begin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

And it got moved to feedback :rolleyes:
    Bit of a coincidence seeing what I posted in my first post.

boards is a joke man.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

LighterGuy wrote: »

boards is a joke man.

Site-relevant feedback in move to Feedback Forum shocker! :eek:

It varies from thread to thread for me. Sometimes I just like seeing stupid threads get locked/stupid OPs get shut down. Other times the nudge in the right direction (regional forum/sports forum/PI) gets a thank for being helpful.

There's no particular reason that's going to explain every single thanked thread-closing post ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Perhaps the thanks are from posters who reported the post as being unsuitable/in the wrong forum and they're thanking that it's been actioned?

Or perhaps its regulars in the forum who are fed up with posters who use the forum for polling for opinion on something when that isn't the forums function or is even against that forums charter?

Could be they were about to suggest posting in X forum and the mod's already said it so they are seconding that advice...

Could be lots of things, really. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Moved from AHs.

It's more feedback than AHs.

Just to answer the OP, I will close a thread in AHs if it's a troll thread,or if it's been done countless times before.

I don't revisit the thread to see if it was thanked,I move on.

People do thank,but mostly it's because they agree with the thread lock/have reported posts in said thread.
    (oh and i am aware a mod would love to close this, and for that post to get thanked the most )

No, you wanted feedback,so feedback it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

boards is a joke man.

Hardly something to lose sleep over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

ass kissing - It's natural law - It's like when the king baboon gives one of the kid baboons a thumping for being out of line - the rest of the monkeys jump around applauding the actions without any consideration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

I would only thank a mod who does this if the thread is closed with a witty one-liner,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Desire2

you see it so much.
    For an example: Guy posts a random question about something in Dublin. Mod closes it saying "try the dublin forum" ... thanks, thanks, thanks :confused: .. by regular users. Not other mods now.

Or a mod closes a thread that they deem not suitable for the forum. Thanks thanks thanks :confused:

Why do people do that?
    Personally, it feels like people kissing a mod's ass. I know that sounds silly. But why do it? .. Also feels like they'd be the same people to practually blow someone with any tiny bit of 'power' in real life too.... Like a personality trait carring over to online.

(oh and i am aware a mod would love to close this, and for that post to get thanked the most :rolleyes:)

I believe the 'Thank You' option was added to stop loads of posts being given a +1 with the mods/users post included in every reply,so if a post that others liked was thanked 300 times it would be the text of the thanked post replied to with 300 +1's added.:eek:

It has backfired now as Mods get a silly amount of 'thanks' often
    that is hardly their fault though!:)

My gripes with the feature is when a mod gets 75 thanks to an on thread warning to a single poster then that is bullying by what is supposed to be a community.
    if the poster ignores the warning and carries on i would not care if the mod got a Thousand thanks!

another feature is 'friends' once you make them it becomes difficult to disagree with or not thank them more than your average amount.

another issue is age and state of mind.
    sometimes in our most lucid moments any poster can tear another apart,that poster might only be aged 13 or may be in a very dark place.
    imagine the impact on either if the counter argument to what they have said gets loads of thanks.
    Boards might have been a place they turned to for help, comfort, or attention when they knew of no other place.

i would not like the button to go as so many times it is used for the purpose it was intended for.

I wish Mods and other users would stop using it as a weapon.
    i believe the first online warning on a thread by a mod could not be thanked.

i believe mods should not thank other mods in public when a warning is given,also it would be nice if ordinary members did not thank a warning as it only infuriates the poster further(even if they are way out of line)and they lose heart or close their account in the heat and isolation of the moment.

Then there is the category of really popular posters getting thanked for their weakest of posts whilst lesser known members do not get thanked for brilliant posts.

there is so much to it all that Freud himself could not have explained it!:)

i do think it is a much more major issue than many realise though.
    in my mind i think of it as the 'appreciation button' rather than a "thanks You are so wonderful", or the other alternative "I agree with you that poster is a total Dick"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Desire2 wrote: »
    My gripes with the feature is when a mod gets 75 thanks to an on thread warning to a single poster then that is bullying by what is supposed to be a community.

Why? Thanks is there to say either 'I agree' or 'this post is funny'. If a poster gets an on-thread warning, it means they've been a dick. If people thank the mod for telling the poster to stop being a twat, it just means they agree that the poster has been, and appreciate the mod stepping in. Perhaps they reported the post/poster, and are 'thanking' the mod for taking some action.

I genuinely don't see what's wrong with that. :confused:

As for it being a community, that doesn't mean anyone here should have to tolerate others being a complete knob just because 'they're one of us'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

I hope a mod closes this thread. Imma thank the shit out of that post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Also feels like they'd be the same people to practually blow someone with any tiny bit of 'power' in real life too....

There seems to be quite an attitude about this on your part. Is there something specific that you're referring to that has you so worked up?

Hot Lips wrote: »
    I don't revisit the thread to see if it was thanked,I move on.

BTW - This ^^^^^^ (I won't thank the post, that'd just be playing into your hands).

If someone's thanking my post to kiss my arse, they're wasting their time and they're getting no benefit from it, I've moved on to the next post.

People who go back to their previous posts to see how many thanks it's gotten are pretty bloody sad tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

brummytom wrote: »
    Thanks is there to say either 'I agree' or 'this post is funny'.
    It might be off-topic a bit but I also thank posts that I believe are making a valuable point in the context of the thread. They don't have to be posts that are funny or even posts that I necessarily agree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Desire2

brummytom wrote: »
    Why? Thanks is there to say either 'I agree' or 'this post is funny'. If a poster gets an on-thread warning, it means they've been a dick. If people thank the mod for telling the poster to stop being a twat, it just means they agree that the poster has been, and appreciate the mod stepping in. Perhaps they reported the post/poster, and are 'thanking' the mod for taking some action.
    I genuinely don't see what's wrong with that. :confused:
    As for it being a community, that doesn't mean anyone here should have to tolerate others being a complete knob just because 'they're one of us'.
    Hi Brummy you quoted only the bit were i emphasised only the first online warning being thanked.The Mod has already given a slap on the wrist and that should be that or it become 'Ganging up'.
    anyway i had accused you of only wanting to be popular on another forum the night before,so Touche!:D
    when you joined boards you and i were pally and any time i hear Ronnie Drew or Luke Kelly sing i will give you a thought!;)
    i was merely hoping for a kinder gentler boards.

Malice wrote: »
    It might be off-topic a bit but I also thank posts that I believe are making a valuable point in the context of the thread. They don't have to be posts that are funny or even posts that I necessarily agree with.

Nowhere near as off topic as my rambling contribution Malice.:D.
    Since the thread has gone off topic already and this will be my last post at least for now i do not want to leave on a sour note.

i have made no secret of the fact that i am a re-reg who was never banned.
    under my first username. i had approaching 4000 posts and only earned two yellow cards in that time.
    i rejoined more than once only to leave again as i was getting little pleasure from the site,i was trying to relive the glory days when the site gave me a buzz.
    i perceive the site to have become less friendly but i think it is just reflecting the worry and extra stress this recession has inflicted on us.

despite all i read to the contrary i can honestly say that only two mods have ever shown me any form of malice,all others have just enforced the charter to the best of their ability and with a good manner.
    I never resort to Dispute resolution and i personally find it abhorrent to report somebody.i use the PM system and usually receive a courteous reply from the mod concerned.

What is and what is not acceptable in AH and Politics has become more and more blurred to the point of confusion,but Boards is always 'a work in progress' and i think Devore and the Admins would hate it to be any other way.
    I have been called a Troller when when i know that was not my intention at all,i have also been called a liar by a Mod.
    Troll is a way overused term,and re-reg implies that the poster had been banned,both are bandied about too much.
    i have been ill for over a week and have been going through archives on some of my favourite topics.
    the amount of closed accounts by brilliant posters has astonished me,many may not be disgruntled with the site at all but have other reasons,hopefully they will re-reg and will not be abused for it.

Dav and the office staff are great,
    Darragh is a hugh loss to the site also IMO.

Most of all if i was to apportion any blame to anyone it would be to myself for bad communication skills and sometimes lazy posting.

i close the account because i do not trust myself not to post on it again.
    Self control is not my strong point!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Even within the forums I mod, where I CAN see edited/deleted stuff, I have no way of knowing at what point in a post's history that any 'Thanks' were awarded.
    Perhaps CMods/Admins can see this stuff, but as far as I can tell, there's no way of knowing whether the 'Thanks' were for the original content, the edited content, or the inserted Mod note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Users who thank mods want to become mods themselves. Mods who thank mods want to become demodded. That is my observation and you can't stop me from having one :mad:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Why is the sky blue?
    How long is a piece of string?

Not having access (yet) to the heads of all half a million signed up users, we can only hazard a guess at why they thank Mods for closing threads.

Here are some of my guesses:

They agree with the closing of the thread.

They think the Mod is question is Hot with a capital H.

They reported the post and are thanking the Mod for acting.

The relief of such a dumbass thread being closed brought an overwhelming sense of gratitude from the user.

They were hoping that the Thanks being dealt out might curry favour at some point in the future.

They were hoping that the Thanks might be a precursor to a meaning full relationship with said Mod.

Everyone, feel free to thank this post, I *might* be influenced by the said Thanks and ask you out on a date*.

Yours helpfully and giddly,
    B

*Snowballs chance in hell of that happening

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement