Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rumours flying that Overeem is out of UFC 141

• 11-12-2011 6:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Joe Silva walked up to Dana at the press conference and whispered something to him and Dana was visably shocked. Later in the presser frank mir said "if the rumours are true i'd be available to fight Lesnar in 3 weeks"

The buzz on twitter is that Overeem is out. Nothing solid yet though.

I'm sure the full story will come out later today

EDIT: as of 12/12/11 Overeem has been conditionally licenced by the NSAC to fight Brock on Dec 30th

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

I aint big into Ufc but I have looked forward to this fight all year, would suck if it does not go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

http://slumz.boxden.com/f16/alistar-overeem-out-ufc-141-rumor-debunked-1667044/

his mother is very sick also, he had to move training camp back to holland. guess we'll just have to wait and see.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If Overeem vs Lesnar actually happens there is a small, but non-zero, chance that the internet will implode in a sort of fanboy-nuthugging-singularity! It will eventually consume all MMA discussion and will become known as "the Thread".

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

CageWager wrote: »
    Joe Silva walked up to Dana at the press conference and whispered something to him and Dana was visably shocked. Later in the presser frank mir said "if the rumours are true i'd be available to fight Lesnar in 3 weeks"

The buzz on twitter is that Overeem is out. Nothing solid yet though.

I'm sure the full story will come out later today
    Joe silva comments were more likely about the 125 match-up announcement.
    He was asked about it and said it was still on.

obviously, he could be with holding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

The rumours I've heard on this is that Overeem is having a pre-pre-fight blood test this week, requested by the NSAC. Never heard of this happening before.

DW explained Joe SIlva's comments were about Amir Khan being beaten.

He categorically denied the Reem-lesnar fight was in jeopardy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Anyone who wants to follow the meeting, which is currently taking place can do so here;

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/12/12/2631371/alistair-overeem-nevada-state-athletic-commission-meeting-live-updates#storyjump

Some interesting and foreboding comments about Alistair by the officials early on...
    Brock Lesnar was tested last week and was clean as a whistle.

Seems 'Reem done a runner!

"November 17, Alistair Overeem was requested to take a test. Was told to set up a test no later than Friday of that week. The next day Lesnar requested to take his test at a hospital and they approved the idea. By Monday the 21st they still did not get the test taken nor contact the commission. Then we were told that Overeem flew back to Holland."

"Overeem took a test on the 23rd but it was the wrong test (was a blood test, not urine). That test came back normal."

"Supposedly Overeem left town the same day (Nov 17) as the request for the test. The blood test was not indicative of any sort of abnormality, but was not a steroid test."

"Overeem was sworn in under oath to answer questions about the situation. He apologized for the delay. Said there was a situation where his mother was not doing well so he moved camp back to Holland. Then said that it was his first fight in the UFC and said that testing in Holland is different.
    Overeem said that his test on the 7th was done by his own doctor, not a testing facility.
    They eventually asked straight out if he took efforts to delay or avoid the testing. Overeem said no and said he did everything his assistants told him to do.
    Overeem said that he bought his plane ticket on the 15th, two days before being asked to take the test. That may be what seals his receiving a license."

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Not looking good for Reem

Live stream: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/alistar-overeem-nsac-meeting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

UFC are so bloody lucky that Mir, is in good shape and not coming off a war. However, we don't know its Mir because the Ontario commission hasn't released its medical suspensions yet.

motion put forward to grant conditional licence but nobody would second it. more deliberation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

unknown13 wrote: »
    UFC are so bloody lucky that Mir, is in good shape and not coming off a war. However, we don't know its Mir because the Ontario commission hasn't released its medical suspensions yet.

I can think of a few times when a fighter has fought in the space of two or three weeks but usually only when they have taken zero damage. Mir was badly rocked standing and then took a good few blows to the head on the ground. Doubtful the commission would let him fight again so soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Anyone get the suspension list from 140?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

unknown13 wrote: »

I'd like to see Brock v Mir much much more than i'd like to see Brock v Reem!

dave1982 wrote: »
    Anyone get the suspension list from 140?

Doesn't seem to be out yet. Normally comes out on the following MOnday but nothing yet it would seem.

Conditional licence granted!

He must piss clean before the fight and do 2 random tests in the next 6 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Following various reports from MMA Junkie and Ariel Helwani via Twitter it has been reported that Overeem did not complete his out of competition drug testing in a "timely manor" and a full test wasn't completed in line with NSAC procedure.

Overeem was "swore in" on the phone and he explained the reason's for the delay in the test were due to his mother's health situation as well as being "thrown off" due to this this being his first UFC fight in Nevada as well as the testing procedures in Holland.

Overeem stated that his sample was taken on 7th Dec was done by his 'sports doctor' although he was unaware where he could get tested. Overeem says he's never done a full steroids test in Holland, so this is all new to him. Overeem expects results to be back this week.

Overeem stated he has not spoken with Kizer directly about this issue until now. His assistants were handling it, as far as he knew. Overeem says he didn't know he was asked to provide a urine sample before leaving Vegas to Holland. Overeem stated that the day after getting notice he needed to re-test, that he went in for another test. Overeem stated he didn't take any efforts to avoid testing and says he did everything he was asked by the NSAC through his assistants.

Overeem says he bought the plane ticket to go home on the 15th. Two days before the testing was requested. Overeem said he did not inform UFC he was leaving for Holland, but he never communicates directly with the promotion.

Overeem says he's never, ever had to go to a clinic for a test. He's used to commission coming to him. Overeem states he has never had to go to a lab and do random testing and he has taken pre and post fights from commissions but not randomly.

Commission says they are troubled by the lack of time between issuing order and test. Lack of appreciation for sense of urgency. NSAC states the options available are: "full license, no license, conditional license with further testing for six months after the fight, randomly"

License is conditioned on the dec 7 sample being negative and then a post fight sample. 2 other points in the next 6 months tested. Motion isn't seconded, more deliberation required.

NSAC suggesting Overeem come back to the U.S. and test here. Commission now discussing the possibility of Overeem going elsewhere, perhaps the UK, to provide a fresh sample. One NSAC member wants Overeem back in the US for a test, but Overeem staying in Europe til 21st so they might send him to UK testing centre.

They are bringing up the possibility of Overeem doing another test within 72 hours in Europe at an independant lab. Overeem would also have to test when he lands in U.S.

One of their concerns is that if the test comes up positive, they don't want to leave Lesnar without an opponent

Licence is granted based on a re-test within 72hrs as well as a test when he lands in the US on the 21st Dec on top of 2 random tests within 6 months post fight. All of this is at Overeem's expense.

Taking the piss expecting him to travel to the US to do the tests,pardon the pun:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yuss bring on Mir v Lesnar 3! I hope Mir is starting to realise that his BJJ is key to beating the new breed of HW's. I know he'd love to stay standing and prove his boxing but he just doesn't have the chin for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

I watched the live stream last night when they were questioning Overeem. They really went at him, and some of his answers were a bit iffy. Thread on Sherdog was funny " NSAC is greasing" and "Overeems doin the stanky leg"..good stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dave1982 wrote: »
    Taking the piss expecting him to travel to the US to do the tests,pardon the pun:D
    I think you need to read it again.
    He doesn't have to travel to the US. He has 72 hours to test in an approved centre in europe. The US test isn't until he lands in the states for the fight.
    sheehy83 wrote: »
    Yuss bring on Mir v Lesnar 3! I hope Mir is starting to realise that his BJJ is key to beating the new breed of HW's. I know he'd love to stay standing and prove his boxing but he just doesn't have the chin for it.
    Overeem isn't out so Lesnar v Mir isn't happening.

Can anyone put this in context for me? Do the NSAC routinely test UFC in training camp? I thought they just tested on the day of fighT?

Can anyone put this in context for me? Do the NSAC routinely test UFC in training camp? I thought they just tested on the day of fighT?

They stopped for a period due to budget cuts. They started doing it again in July of this year.

• Advertisement

and just happen to be doing it when overeem is in town?

overeem split from his managment and coaching staff recently, i wonder if any of them bare bad will and have put this in motion.

and just happen to be doing it when overeem is in town?

They've done these out-of-competition tests on over 50 MMA fighters since July. Lesnar was tested also.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Klim

Not sure if this had already been confirmed yet, but:

danawhite Dana White
    Overeem is ready to go!!! Lesnar vs Overeem is on!
    48 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Klim wrote: »
    Not sure if this had already been confirmed yet, but:

danawhite Dana White
    Overeem is ready to go!!! Lesnar vs Overeem is on!
    48 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Yeah it had been confirmed in that last few days. It's gonna be great to see Ubereem in the UFC!

The HW division is soon gonna be much deeper than in other years with the influx of the Strikeforce guys (although it'll still be the most shallow division IMO)

• Site Banned Posts: 67 ✭✭Lemmewinks

i wonder if any of them bare bad will and have put this in motion.

:confused: That sentence makes no sense.

Advertisement