Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An observation on people's generosity

• 11-12-2011 12:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭

I was at 10am Mass in The Holy Rosary church on the Ennis Road this morning and the church-gate collection was for St. Vincent de Paul's fuel for the poor.

I noticed there was a queue to contribute, and I glimpsed the collection container which contained many €10 and €20 notes. There seemed quite a response to this collection. In the times we live in, it was revealing and a little surprising to see the level of contribution from folks very young to very old.

I was impressed. Human nature can be great and encouraging sometimes.

J.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

I have always found most of the people in limerick are the some of the most generous and decent I have ever met when it goes to helping others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Well I can't really think of many more worthwhile charities to contribute to in this day and age.
    St Vincent De Paul, Barnardo's, The Rape Crisis Centres/Cari/Childline and the other myriad of locally focused charities who are struggling year in/year out to help people of all nationalities in our local areas,
    are where I feel those of us that can afford to make a donation should focus the effort.

Don't get me wrong here, I do feel that Concern/Trocaire /Gorta and all the overseas NGO's do great work....
    But I'm a firm believer in the axiom that putting our own house in order first should come before we try to right others!
    For that reason those organisations seldom receive a donation from me.

I prefer my meagre charitable contributions to do good work in my community.
    We as a nation wasted the opportunities the boom gave us to eliminate the spectre of poverty from our country, an opportunity missed that I hope we can learn from and eradicate whenever this economy recovers.

Thanks for the observation in the OP Tippman :)
    And I'd like to take the opportunity to thank every contributer and every volunteer for their altruism, their care and the help and hope they offer to the all too many people who need it on a daily basis and especially at this time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Maybe it is just the year that is in it as SVP have really gone out of their way to secure donations.

Personally I handed a cash donation to their offices on Harstonge Street because they really need it. I was out of work last year but didn't need the SVP but I can easily see how many families would. These are the same families who would have been sitting by the pool next to you on Summer holidays years ago and now their world has imploded. There are no support groups, no charities for these people so SVP is their only lifeline outside of swallowing their pride and asking friends or family for help.

People have been giving presents on the 2FM SVP Toy Appeal and it has been highly successful. I wanted to give cash because I wanted a few bills to be paid to put a turkey on a table, heat in a house, lights on for another 2-3 months. Anything.

Also, maybe it's just catholic guilt syndrome. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Maybe it is just the year that is in it as SVP have really gone out of their way to secure donations.

Personally I handed a cash donation to their offices on Harstonge Street because they really need it. I was out of work last year but didn't need the SVP but I can easily see how many families would. These are the same families who would have been sitting by the pool next to you on Summer holidays years ago and now their world has imploded. There are no support groups, no charities for these people so SVP is their only lifeline outside of swallowing their pride and asking friends or family for help.

People have been giving presents on the 2FM SVP Toy Appeal and it has been highly successful. I wanted to give cash because I wanted a few bills to be paid to put a turkey on a table, heat in a house, lights on for another 2-3 months. Anything.

Also, maybe it's just catholic guilt syndrome. :p

More likely it is simply a sign of you being a decent person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Was in Harvey Normans today, having a look around, they have a coffee counter there, and were giving out free coffee's, don't know if it's a regular occurrence, I don't frequent the place that often, but, if you call in and avail of the very nice coffee, they have a collection box for Childline hidden behind the Nespresso machine display, perhaps you might consider donating a few Euro to a worthy cause.

• Advertisement
Advertisement