Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder in Dundalk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭missbelle

It's just terrible news. Must be some history there, the shooter handed himself in afterwards

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Please do not speculate or name any names on this thread, as a court case will most likely follow. Any content with speculation without links will be removed and can result in a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

R.I.P.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

Appears from media reports James had to beg for his life. I feel so sorry for him and the brutal manner in which he was murdered. Sickening carry on.

MugMugs wrote: »
    Appears from media reports James had to beg for his life. I feel so sorry for him and the brutal manner in which he was murdered. Sickening carry on.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gaa-star-james-hughes-begged-for-his-life-before-love-rival-shot-him-in-cold-blood-after-night-out-2960757.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Banned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 TheOldSeaDog

Banned.

• Advertisement

Well said. I just dread to think how scared he was with that coward holding the gun to him :( May he rest in peace and may justice be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

RIP

http://www.u.tv/News/Witness-describes-fatal-taxi-shooting/1b3a7acb-ea35-4059-b7e1-210adf3b351b
    Monday, 12 December 2011
    Witness describes fatal taxi shooting

A Dundalk woman has been describing the horrific moment when Crossmaglen man James Hughes was shot dead in a taxi outside her home on Sunday.
    A Dundalk woman has been describing the horrific moment when Crossmaglen man James Hughes was shot dead in a taxi outside her home on Sunday.

Mr Hughes, who was 35 years old and originally from Lismore, Co Armagh, was gunned down as the car stopped in the Lis Na Dara estate at around 4am.

A lone man approached with a shotgun and fired a number of shots into it, fatally hitting the father of three in the in the neck and chest.

A 21-year old-woman who was a front seat passenger in the taxi, and its 48-year-old driver, were both hurt but not left with life-threatening injuries.

A short time after the shooting a 32-year-old man presented himself to Irish police at Carrickmacross Garda Station where he was arrested.

Eyewitness Sabrina Reilly told UTV the shooting all happened in the "blink of an eye" outside her house.

"In the blink of an eye a man had stepped off the footpath on the far side of the road and went and shot into the minibus," she recounted.

"Within four or five seconds a man calmly walked past the front of the house, over to the car and you could just see the barrel of the gun.

"Everything was so quiet, he just looked into the taxi and picked up the gun and shot again."

Mr Hughes was a talented GAA player with Crossmaglen Rangers, winning three all-Ireland medals and many other trophies with the club over 20 years.

The town has been in mourning since news of his death, with flags at the clubhouse flying at half mast on Monday.

Club officials have remembered him as extremely popular with senior and junior members and described him as a well liked young man.

"People can't believe this would happen to such a good person as James,"Tom McKay from the club told UTV.

"He played a very important role within the club and was a very valued and skilled footballer and a member of all-Ireland winning teams.

"There's absolute shock and numbness, despair. We in Cross have experienced many bad days but the death of James ranks up with them."

Marquees have been erected outside Mr Hughes house to cope with the many hundreds of people who are expected to attend his wake.

Crossmaglen is expected to come to a standstill when he is laid to rest later this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭missbelle

Even more tragic considering his mother passed away from Sudden Adult Death Syndrome in April this year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Heard the name of the shooter yesterday but seems to be released now.
    http://www.newstalk.ie/2011/news/man-charged-with-dundalk-murder/

Tragic loss of life and on top of that another negative story about the town when we are badly in need of investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Xmasholly

doncarlos wrote: »
    Heard the name of the shooter yesterday but seems to be released now.
    http://www.newstalk.ie/2011/news/man-charged-with-dundalk-murder/

Tragic loss of life and on top of that another negative story about the town when we are badly in need of investment.

2 murders in Dundalk with just a year apart, what is the world coming to?
    My heart goes out to the families of everyone involved. Have always been proud to be from Dundalk but its getting harder all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Xmasholly wrote: »
    2 murders in Dundalk with just a year apart, what is the world coming to?
    My heart goes out to the families of everyone involved. Have always been proud to be from Dundalk but its getting harder all the time

Think we're averaging two a year now. I don't think it's just a Dundalk thing though. The value of life has seemed to diminish in Ireland over the past decade or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

This tragic story takes another sad twist!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Yes, there was no name released on news reports until the Rte site was updated otherwise i would have linked. Apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

RIP.
    This is just a complete,out & out,utter tragedy.

• Advertisement

I'll hold back my wishes for him. It's no justice to the victims family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

2 families lives ruined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

2 families lives ruined.

Yes, by one coward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Yes, by one coward.

IYO

Think 'mentally ill' would be more appropriate

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Johnny Foreigner, you can keep opinions like that to yourself, don't post in this thread again

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

A very sad situation. I'm closing this thread with a number of posts after being edited/deleted. Local moderators may take more action.

Feel free to PM me if any clarification is required.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement