Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Hunting In Waterford Advice

Options
  • 11-12-2011 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hello All

Im house hunting in waterford, i was hoping if anyone on here could offer some advice on the different areas, i am a mother of a young child so im looking for an area that is family friendly and has a good reputation.

Any advice on Primary Schools and After School Clubs, Different Estates, etc, would be very welcome. I am looking at keeping within a 10 - 15 minute drive of WIT, and the city center,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Have you looked at anywhere yet? Are you buying or renting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 movingmummy

Im looking to Buy, i have viewed alot of houses and i do like the Dunmore Road/Ardkeen area, but i have also seen some over in the Ashley Court area, just wondering if other people who know these areas could offer some advice. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Think theres a fair few other threads here about people moving to waterford ,I'm sure if you look through the forum you'll find enough info to help you make an informed decision yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Im looking to Buy, i have viewed alot of houses and i do like the Dunmore Road/Ardkeen area, but i have also seen some over in the Ashley Court area, just wondering if other people who know these areas could offer some advice. :)

The Ashley Court area wouldn't be in the same league as Dunmore Road/Ardkeen area. Although the houses might look and in some cases are better then what you would find on the Dunmore rd, Ashley Court its self would have a lot of students and you wouldn't feel safe at night in and around Freshways shop with all the teens (Most from Lisduggan area) that hang around there...

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭leduke

have you checked out ferrybank? plenty of houses for sale in decent areas, close to the city, good schools and new shopping centre supposed to be opening early next year!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

leduke wrote: »
    have you checked out ferrybank? plenty of houses for sale in decent areas, close to the city, good schools and new shopping centre supposed to be opening early next year!

Loads of houses empty in my estate. Nice area...big green area for the kids. And the deal breaker...you'd have great neighbours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Ahsley court is a grand area. The teens outside freshways be grand just walk passed them or tell them where to go, never had any problems with them to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

Farmleigh on the Dunmore road would be a good place to live.

Thanks for all the great info, does anyone know what the Industrial Estate right behind Ashley Court is like?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Birdfood

The Dunmore Road is nice area, very family orientated etc. However it can get very congested at peak times. If you want to be within 15 mins drive of WIT and the city centre Kilmeaden would be a nice area to get in to WIT handy in the mornings, nice modern primary school, playground and afterschool group, shops etc. there too and easy access to the by pass for travelling if you are not from Waterford.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the great info, does anyone know what the Industrial Estate right behind Ashley Court is like?

Cheers

Ah jaysus I wouldnt go moving into a factory.

Its grand. when I had me bike license I'd say everyone in ashley court hated me cos it does be noisy when I try to wheelie haha.
    Other than that, there be the odd car down there trying to do donuts, a few people in drinking but overall its grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

ashley court is very nice. only 5 mins walk to lisduggan shopping center and 15 mins walk to city center.
    the dunmore rd area is a pile of shyte

ashley court is very nice. only 5 mins walk to lisduggan shopping center and 15 mins walk to city center.
    the dunmore rd area is a pile of shyte
    ah the dunmore road is grand. Close to hospital and all that. Yeah it has the "posh gits" label but it's not that at all.
    Wouldn't get on a bus with a certain person though bahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

kill st lawrence is nice estate and loads of young families living there and tis fairly safe, and is close to outer ring road

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Funfair wrote: »
    The Ashley Court area wouldn't be in the same league as Dunmore Road/Ardkeen area. Although the houses might look and in some cases are better then what you would find on the Dunmore rd, Ashley Court its self would have a lot of students and you wouldn't feel safe at night in and around Freshways shop with all the teens (Most from Lisduggan area) that hang around there...

Jesus boy you must be a little sheltered if you wouldn't feel safe walking past the lads around Freshway. All they do is play a bit of hurling or soccer and hang around. I've not once, and I literally mean not once, had any bother with them there and I lived in Hillview for 23 years and am still up there the whole time!

I don't think Ashley Court has many students at all. It's always been a family estate. Never been much trouble there. Might be an older demographic than yourself and your child though OP. How old is your child?

As you know yourself, you have a lot of power in this situation as nobody can sell at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I was going out/meeting this girl years ago who grew up in some estate in Dublin that would be seriously rough full of junkies and so on, she was one tough cookie. anyway she was walking by freshways and some me teen pulled a knife on her for her bag and without blinking just threw her nut at him and panned him out in bits. Always made me laugh.

That's the only negative story i have ever heard about the area so I'd imagine it's not too bad. Like Nkay said you basically have all the power in this. If I'm honest I'd be looking at the Dunmore road area as it's just close and far away from town for me if I was looking to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

ziedth wrote: »
    I was going out/meeting this girl years ago who grew up in some estate in Dublin that would be seriously rough full of junkies and so on. anyway she was walking by freshways and some me teen pulled a knife on her for her bag and without blinking just threw her nut at him and panned him out in bits. Always made me laugh.

That's the only negative story i have ever heard about the area so I'd imagine it's not too bad. Like Nkay said you basically have all the power in this. If I'm honest I'd be looking at the Dunmore road area as it's just close and far away from town for me if I was looking to buy.

Even with the assistance of Urban Dictionary I can't figure out what that bit means :D (I do get the gist though :))

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

:) headbutt

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I lived in Hillview for 23 years and am still up there the whole time!

Did you? and are you? Hello ex neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Jesus boy you must be a little sheltered if you wouldn't feel safe walking past the lads around Freshway. All they do is play a bit of hurling or soccer and hang around. I've not once, and I literally mean not once, had any bother with them there and I lived in Hillview for 23 years and am still up there the whole time!

I don't think Ashley Court has many students at all. It's always been a family estate. Never been much trouble there. Might be an older demographic than yourself and your child though OP. How old is your child?

I don't walk past the front door in Freshways I go in the back, in a van delivering there everyday of the week.. I know what goes on around the front as the guys working there gets the abuse regularly.. I was told many stories about the carry on around the area in the night

Ashley Court has/had more students living there then familys up to about 4 years ago when friends of mine moved out over them...

Maybe it changed since I don't know...

• Advertisement

Funfair wrote: »
    I don't walk past the front door in Freshways I go in the back, in a van delivering there everyday of the week.. I know what goes on around the front as the guys working there gets the abuse regularly.. I was told many stories about the carry on around the area in the night

Ashley Court has/had more students living there then familys up to about 4 years ago when friends of mine moved out over them...

Maybe it changed since I don't know...

Ah some of them think they're little scumbags but the only incident I ever heard of was when the chipper was robbed at gunpoint last year. I'm sure they might give the lads on the door at Freshway a bit of abuse but I've never had one bit of hassle and I'm in and out of there the whole time and would often be there late at night.

As for the students, I've always canvassed with my father and never found many students living there but maybe I'm wrong. It would never have typically been as filled with students as the likes of Lismore Park and even the numbers there have decreased significantly with the likes of Manor Village and Templar's Hall taking a lot of them.

Being from the area, I would never have considered Ashley Court (or Hillview or Norwood etc.) the slightest bit troublesome and certainly wouldn't advise the OP against looking at here.
    seanybiker wrote: »
    Did you? and are you? Hello ex neighbour.

I sure did Seany. Thought I told you that before. I'm from Hawthorn Grove though. You're down the other end are you?

sure did Seany. Thought I told you that before. I'm from Hawthorn Grove though. You're down the other end are you?
    Ya probably did ha ive the worse memory ever.
    I'm on crescent drive.
    Is hawthorn grove the one up be the icy hill?

seanybiker wrote: »
    Ya probably did ha ive the worse memory ever.
    I'm on crescent drive.
    Is hawthorn grove the one up be the icy hill?

That's the one. My parents live in the house on the corner just across the road from the top of the icy hill.

On topic, if you want to know anything about Hillview, we have you covered OP. :)

That's the one. My parents live in the house on the corner just across the road from the top of the icy hill.

On topic, if you want to know anything about Hillview, we have you covered OP. :)
    Ah right. I know the parents.

Thanks for all the information, one thing i have heard about Ashley Court is there has been alot of trouble about some Food units in the Industrial Estate behind some of the houses that makes alot of noise, does anyone know if this is still going on?

Cheers :)

Thanks for all the information, one thing i have heard about Ashley Court is there has been alot of trouble about some Food units in the Industrial Estate behind some of the houses that makes alot of noise, does anyone know if this is still going on?

Cheers :)
    never heard that complaint off anyome I know there :s
    I can hear spraoi practise and I'm in hillview. Annoying fookers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Kilbarry halting site is very nice. The views of Ballybeg and the dump are great.

Advertisement