Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Careers in IT/Computing

Options
  • 11-12-2011 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hey guys. :)

Just graduated with an arts degree, and am considering trying to move into the IT sector.

I've done a pc maintenance & repair course through fás (very basic) and have been studying the material for the CompTia A+. I plan on doing the A+ course through fás in March. I'm not entierly sure if this is the sector for me (hence the year out from college packed with fás courses) and, whilst I'm learning about the area as a whole through these courses, I don't know what the job market is like out there. I'm also not sure of which way I would go about gaining qualification. Two options in mind; Gaining a (level 8, ie same as hons degree level) qualification by taking a one year intensive conversion course (which I'm confident I would be able to secure a place on, have already been offered by nuim) or gaining industry qualifications through fás - starting with the CompTia A+, then moving on to do the CompTia Network+, then the CompTia Security+ and finally the Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) qualification. The degree option would be very intensive, and expensive. However, since I'm not sure what my area of interest is, maybe it would be better to to the general conversion degree course?

So... I have two main questions.

1) Which areas of computing are most empoyable or do you predict will be most employable in the near future?

2) Which entry route do you reccomend; level 8 conversion degree course or industry qualifications (CompTia A+, CompTia Network+, CompTia Security+ andCisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA))?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

IT in Ireland is quite strong(says the IT guy who had to emigrate). My partner and i needed jobs at the beginning of 2009 which was the start of the crisis, it was unsurity city, no-one knew what was going to happen and no-one was hiring.

Its levelled off, and while its not celtic tiger level, there re jobs out there.

In your position I would suggest trying to be a jack of all trades. The A+ was very good when I did it in 2003, I dont know if it is still good. never went to college so maybe I am biased but I would suggest an A+ and a CCNA and if you can do a couple of introductory programming courses. I'd reccommend C/C++ and Python aswell. Also look into a Linux course, or at the very least download a distro and start playing with it.

This would make you an all rounder and give you a chance in many of the entry level jobs that are out there. You will probably start off in Tech Support somewhere, but dont fall into the trap and stay there too long. I know guys who relaxed into a Tech Support role and forgot to keep learning and innovating, and then got stuck and couldn't get out of it.

Don't be swayed or talked into a cloud computing course. While it is the latest buzz word, thats basically all it is, a buzzword. Anyone with standard computer and programming skills can learn cloud very quickly, but it doesnt work both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Shelly2013

Hi Miss Informed,

I am currently in a simular situation now. I would like to get into the IT sector and I'm not really sure how to go about it.
    I have been looking into CompTIA A+ also with a view to adding on courses etc as you had mentioned above.

I would love to know how it all worked out for you and what route you eventually went down?

Advertisement