Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did you get hit by your parents?

• 11-12-2011 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I did.

I think it was unnecessary adult-on-child violence.

Hitting children is stupid.

What say y'all?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Not 'hit', but slapped on the leg the odd time. Never when I didn't deserve it though, they weren't doing it for kicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Only when I deserved it. The threat of the wooden spoon was usually enough. Didn't do me any harm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i had many a wooden spoon hit on my arse

didn't do me any harm, although it also didn't stop me from doing whatever it was that caused me to have wooden spoons slapped off my arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

once that I remember vividly, probably got a couple of slaps growing up but mostly no. there's other options instead of belting kids. as an absolute last resort for someone throwing a temper tantrum or being as bold as brass then yeah a slap never did anyone any harm, but constant smacking for little things is just stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Got a light slap on the bum or hand if being a pain in the tits. Last resort, not fun for the parent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭the monk5845

I did
    with a wooden spoon on the ass, only when i deserved it and it never did me any harm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Once. With a Ford Mondeo.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Better to be slapped as a child then be put on the naughty stool and have pussied assed hippies for parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Hitting children is fucking stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I dunno man, you know when you see a kid having a complete spa attack in the supermarket because it wants a golly bar or whatever - do you think if that kid got a punch in the face every time it did that, it would continue to behave in this way?

For more helpful parenting tips, PM me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Yes but they are a greater challenge as they're small and therefore much harder targets to hit from a distance.

It depends on the child. Some don't respond to the "naughty step" approach and a slap does them good.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Micko23

Yes, when my siblings and I deserved it. Wooden spoon threats and slaps on the leg.

My neighbours try the naughty step and discussing behaviour with there little kids...either theyre really bad at at it or it just doesn't work- their kids are wild!

Not 'hit', but slapped on the leg the odd time. Never when I didn't deserve it though, they weren't doing it for kicks.
    MagicSean wrote: »
    Only when I deserved it. The threat of the wooden spoon was usually enough. Didn't do me any harm.
    i had many a wooden spoon hit on my arse

didn't do me any harm, although it also didn't stop me from doing whatever it was that caused me to have wooden spoons slapped off my arse
    Dudess wrote: »
    Got a light slap on the bum or hand if being a pain in the tits. Last resort, not fun for the parent.

Don't try to explain it away lads. Your parents, like mine, lacked intelligence when it came to disciplining children.

Say it and say it loud - my parents assaulted me as a child and I'm proud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Yes I did, lazy parenting. I am saying now I won't ever and I hope I never hit my children if I have any, cause it's done me no good whatsoever. It never changed the way I thought about things, it didn't make me not do something again, in fact it was just the responsible one's way of dealing with their own rage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Once. With a Ford Mondeo.

Son, will you come home and clear leaves from the drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

Of course it was, however it annoys me that now my parents say "it never did them any harm". I always reply with "Is that why you sit up at night wondering where it all went wrong". Freaks them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Nah both decided that because their parents used to beat them, they wouldnt hit us. There was the occasional stabbing though:(

A lick of the hickory stick, that's what's needed.

I wasn't hit. I dunno why. If I had a kid like me I'd murder the little fuc|<er.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Don't try to explain it away lads. Your parents, like mine, lacked intelligence when it came to disciplining children.

my parents also bathed me when i was a baby, should I report them for sexual abuse?

• Advertisement

My parents did a fine job disciplining me.

Ah no, it only happened when they were especially frustrated because I was being particularly troublesome.

They're great parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Yeah slapped loads of times , wooden spoon too, nipped if i was playing up in a place i shouldn't be.

my parents also bathed me when i was a baby, should I report them for sexual abuse?

No.

And stop trying to divert attention from the fact that your parents physically assaulted you as a way of making you do what they wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

I did.

I think it was unnecessary adult-on-child violence.

What say y'all?

I got a swift and hard smack on the back once from my Dad for being a little shít nothing like it put me right straight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I got hit with a wooden spoon too.... a fairly Irish phenomenon...

Some people say they was for cookin' and bakin' , but I say, they was for hitting children who was disobedient or too smart for our own good... tools of the devil.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I got battered by my auld ones. Belts and all. I'd like to see them try it now though. Muhahaha.

You've issues Chuck.

Did you get a light smack that hurt for 30 seconds or were you psychologically and physically tortured for days?

No.

And stop trying to divert attention from the fact that your parents physically assaulted you as a way of making you do what they wanted.

What method do you use?

• Advertisement

No.

Just talk to us Chuck, tell us what's wrong.

Ah no, it only happened when they were especially frustrated because I was being particularly troublesome.

They're great parents.

My parents are fucking awesome. Hard working grafters. I can only hope that I'm as good a man as they were parents.

They hit me though.

Which was fucking stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭ThePower11

Got the odd belt for being a little prick but nothing like this... Sick Bastard!

My parents are fucking awesome. Hard working grafters. I can only hope that I'm as good a man as they were parents.

They hit me though.

So how do you discipline your children?

What method do you use?

This isn't about me. I don't say personal shit on this public forum anyway.

You mean you don't have children and have no experience with raising them. That figures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So how do you discipline your children?

I beat the livign crap out of them. Only the other day, the eldest came in after getting in a fight, so I slapped him. That'll teach him that hitting people is wrong.
    [/sarcasm]

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Few slaps across the leg/arse. Didn't do the slightest bit of harm to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It is, and you did.

Sky King wrote: »
    You've issues Chuck.

Did you get a light smack that hurt for 30 seconds or were you psychologically and physically tortured for days?

I wasn't particularly beaten for being a child and yes I do have issues like every honest person does but assaulting children to make them do what you want is fucking stupid.

That's my view and until someone gives me a good reason that assaulting children has any benefit I will not change my stance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭vtec_vixen

To be honest yes, If I was ill behaved or threw tantrums I was smacked,
    Yes it hurt. It was meant to! It's called learning Wrong from Right.

There'd be tears for a little while but after a few mins you'd be back out playing with your friends
    I do think my father was a little over zealous with the wooden spoon at times.

It did me no harm. I grew up reasonably respectful and Never got into any major trouble.

I dont have any kids at present.. I think Id consider all other avenues to try to re-inforce good behaviour over physical punishment

Last resort kind of thing.
    thats just my 2c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Open hand, fist, pots, pans, anything on the mantlepiece..

Verbal, one classic being, "I'll cut the legs from under you.."

Myself? I see it as totally counterproductive. Not just physical pummelling, but people swearing blind at very young children, I don't understand a parent that would do that..

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

No.

I agree. I got slapped and I really don't see the point in hitting children. If as a parent you can't outsmart a 6 yr old, or have the patience to discipline them in other ways without resorting to physically assaulting them then there's something wrong.

It's a quick fix, and lazy parenting. I'd have had more respect for my parents if they hadn't slapped us. My mother agrees that if she could do things again she would never have slapped us. She was a child minder, so obviously couldn't slap the children she minded, and they were no less well behaved without the threat of physical punishment. She just had to have more patience with them and now wishes she'd been the same with us when we were kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

My parents never hit, slapped, tapped or otherwise physically disciplined me as a child, no matter how I acted up they found another way to make me behave.

Strangely enough, not being hit never did me any harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Worked on me. I got a smack when I deserved it. Wakes some smartarse little brats right the fook up. It can work, therefore it can be an appropriate tool of parenting. Made me smarter, certainly. I always moderated my behaviour, making a judgement call. Following an evaluation, I either decided not to do whatever got me smacked again, or I made the judgement that it was worth it and changed my behaviour to reflect my new desire to not get caught again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You were obviously assaulted as a child Chuck Stone, rather than disciplined, and that's terrible, but projecting your own experiences onto other people isn't going to make it better. If it still makes you that angry, you should talk to someone about it -- confront your parents and/or talk to a professional.

(I don't hit my kids. But I got a few smacks when I was a child when I was acting the langer and I don't resent it. It was how things were done then.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

I'd a great childhood my Da used to throw me up in the air..and walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

Just because chuck disagrees with physically assaulting children doesn't mean he was badly beaten as a child. I only remember the odd slap, nothing serious at all, but I'm still completely against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Got a bamboo cane across the back of my legs once. Fcuking hurt. I turned out ok in the end.

They hit me though.

They were doing their best by the sound of it. Presuming that by 'hit' you don't mean 'battered' you (and if you do, that's a whole different story and something that could never be justified). Things have changed a lot in the last few years, physically chastising your kids used to be normal, now nobody does it. I'm sure your folks would take it back the slaps if they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭G.muny

Yeah I would get slapped in the face by my Mam sometimes for silly things and it had an effect on me. In fairness she was going through some tough times at the times but If I ever have kids I will NEVER do it them. Might be a bit controversial but when I got to about 12 and she done it I hit her back and told her if she ever done it again to expect it back. She never did it after that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement