Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did you get hit by your parents?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭missvirgo

prinz wrote: »
    Good for you. I was referring to a child. Or do you think it would be appropriate for a grown man to invite a strange young boy into a private shower stall with him? :confused:

I thought it was your da? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

missvirgo wrote: »
    I thought it was your da? :confused:

Go back and read it again. Jesus wept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I got a wallop of the wooden spoon from my mother, but it broke so i just turned around laughing and ran off :D

There is no need to hit anyone. Ever.

And to all those people who said 'It never did me any harm'... have a little think for yourselves ;)

I've thought, and the statement is still true.

About what exactly?

About whether or not being hit by your parents really never did any harm... because i can't see how it could possibly not do harm.

That's all.

I can't see how having sex with someone of the same gender is appealing......does that mean that my "can't see" can take precedence ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

How has any human being the right to hit another? Really? How?

Parents have the right to discipline their children. That seems unremarkable to me. It's one of many means that parents have at their disposal to smack their child lightly. Where's the horror in that as I've yet to see it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

This was one of the more outright expressions..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75963958&postcount=437

..but there have been others, such as if you slap a child the child is going to turn out violent etc.

Good for you. I was referring to a child. Or do you think it would be appropriate for a grown man to invite a strange young boy into a private shower stall with him? :confused:

Did this actually happen to you?? Because it's not what you described in the first place.

Agree with you on the first point, but those calling automatic abuse are in the minoriy.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I can't see how having sex with someone of the same gender is appealing......does that mean that my "can't see" can take precedence ?

I never said my 'can't see' takes precedence...

I'm sharing my opinion...

How can someone you trust & love hitting you not do any harm?

philologos wrote: »
    Parents have the right to discipline their children. That seems unremarkable to me. It's one of many means that parents have at their disposal to smack their child lightly. Where's the horror in that as I've yet to see it?

Disciplining your child doesn't have to involve hitting/lightly smacking them. Would it not be better to teach children right from wrong, by example and communication?

Disciplining your child doesn't have to involve hitting/lightly smacking them. Would it not be better to teach children right from wrong, by example and communication?

It doesn't have to, but in many cases it can be appropriate. As a result, I don't rule it out, and I'm not outraged at the possibility. It can be effective as prinz has demonstrated in the thread for extreme misbehaviour when coupled with verbal warnings beforehand, and explanations afterwards.

I still don't get what all the fuss is about to be honest with you. Disciplining a child well is important, and I'm not going to deny parents the right to give their child a slap if they are getting out of line. I would presume that no fair minded person would.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Did this actually happen to you?? Because it's not what you described in the first place..

I think I need a facepalm... from the first post..
    As an example, my da used to take me to swimming lessons when I was a young lad, and afterwards we'd often shower in the same stall, and he'd make sure I shampooed/washed behind the ears etc. Did I also know that it wasn't as appropriate to shower naked with other grown men? Or strangers? Yes I did
    Good for you. I was referring to a child. Or do you think it would be appropriate for a grown man to invite a strange young boy into a private shower stall with him?

Did you really needed it pointed out that I was referring to going into a private stall with somebody else at that age? It was something that was appropriate for me to do with my dad, it was not something appropriate to do with some stranger.

• Advertisement

It doesn't have to, but in many cases it can be appropriate. As a result, I don't rule it out, and I'm not outraged at the possibility. It can be effective as prinz has demonstrated in the thread for extreme misbehaviour when coupled with verbal warnings beforehand, and explanations afterwards.

I still don't get what all the fuss is about to be honest with you. Disciplining a child well is important, and I'm not going to deny parents the right to give their child a slap if they are getting out of line. I would presume that no fair minded person would.

I don't agree. We disagree. Agreed? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I think I need a facepalm... from the first post..

Did you really needed it pointed out that I was referring to going into a private stall with somebody else at that age? It was something that was appropriate for me to do with my dad, it was not something appropriate to do with some stranger.

That wasn't explained very well. There is a difference between your Dad and a stranger.

If you were uncomrtable I would argue that he shouldn't have done it and you should have objected. I would say the same about any non-disciplinary parent/child interaction.

Beyond that, your analogy falls apart becuse your father never gave someone else permission to check that you had shampooed properly, whereas when you wnet to school, he was giving you teacher permission to dsicipline you in loco parentis if the need arose.

Well you are saying that people need to reconsider their position that a bit of spanking did them no harm because you think they are either lying, or deluded. So yeah, I think you are telling people how they should feel about it.

How do you know what i think???

missvirgo - you claimed earlier on that people who had been disciplined in that way are permanently damaged without any form of backup. Do you have any good reason for saying that or is it just hysteria?

There is a difference between your Dad and a stranger..

Has the penny dropped? Not too long ago you couldn't understand the difference between the parent-child relationship and the child-everybody else relationship.

Apparently it's too difficult for a child to grasp that when it comes to getting a spank from a parent.
    .......how do you communicate that riasing your hand to another person you disagree with is wrong while doing just that to the child.

Answer: The same way you communicate why a raft of other behaviours are not acceptable outside of the parent-child relationship.

Has the penny dropped? Not too long ago you couldn't understand the difference between the parent-child relationship and the child-everybody else relationship.

Apparently it's too difficult for a child to grasp that when it comes to getting a spank from a parent.

If you're going down the road of petty insults instead of debating the issue becaue you mis-presented a hypothetical situation then we're done here. PM me if you wish to contine this like an adult, otherwise I won't see you post.

missvirgo - you claimed earlier on that people who had been disciplined in that way are permanently damaged without any form of backup. Do you have any good reason for saying that or is it just hysteria?

I didn't say 'permanently damaged'... I have plenty of good reasons... I know lots & lots & lots of people who have been hit by their parents growing up... and alot of them say the same thing 'it never did me any harm' yet, we have huge social issues in Ireland in all walks of life.. ranging from addictions to mental health, domestic violence etc etc.

I have also participated in group therapy situation where it was explained how your environment can affect your development from the moment you are conceived. How you can be affected even within the womb by external situations...

Personally i just feel this is unnecessary violence that children & the world could do without...

How do you know what i think???

Please explain on what other grounds people who think it did them no harm need to "think again" then..

If you're going down the road of petty insults instead of debating the issue becaue you mis-presented a hypothetical situation then we're done here. PM me if you wish to contine this like an adult, otherwise I won't see you post.

Ah for feck sake :pac: I have heard I must be violent, or afraid of my own shadow, that my parents were violent abusers etc, and all through that I didn't feel the need to throw my toys out of the pram and act like a drama queen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Corporal Punishment by Parents and Associated Child Behaviors and Experiences: A Meta-Analytic and Theoretical Review

Elizabeth Thompson Gershoff
    Columbia University

Psychological Bulletin
    2002, Vol. 128, No. 4, 539–579

http://www.endcorporalpunishment.org/pages/pdfs/Gershoff-2002.pdf

Some excerpts.
    Aggression

The association between corporal punishment and children’s aggression is one of the most studied and debated findings in the child-rearing literature (Coie & Dodge, 1998; Steinmetz, 1979). Over the years, several reviews of the literature have concluded that corporal punishment is associated with increases in children’s aggressive behaviors (Becker, 1964; Patterson, 1982; Radke-
    Yarrow, Campbell, & Burton, 1968; Steinmetz, 1979).
    Delinquent, Criminal, and Antisocial Behavior

Across decades of research, corporal punishment has been implicated in the etiology of criminal and antisocial behaviors by both children and adults (e.g., Burt, 1925; Glueck & Glueck, 1964; Hetherington, Stouwie, & Ridberg, 1971; W. McCord & McCord, 1959; Patterson & Stouthamer-Loeber, 1984; West & Farrington, 1973; Wilson & Herrnstein, 1985)
    Quality of the Parent–Child Relationship

The potential for parental corporal punishment to disrupt the parent–child relationship is thought to be a main disadvantage of its use (Azrin, Hake, Holz, & Hutchinson, 1965; Azrin & Holz, 1966). The painful nature of corporal punishment can evoke feelings of fear, anxiety, and anger in children; if these emotions are generalized to the parent, they can interfere with a positive parent–child relationship by inciting children to be fearful of and to avoid the parent
    Mental Health

Although little theoretical work has been done to identify the processes by which corporal punishment would lead to mental health problems, harsh punishment (including corporal punishment) has been associated significantly with adolescents’ depressive symptomatology and distress (McLoyd, Jayaratne, Ceballo, & Borquez, 1994), even after controlling for age, gender, family socioeconomic status (SES), and history of physical abuse (Turner & Finkelhor, 1996).
    Adult Abuse of Own Child or Spouse

If corporal punishment is associated with a general aggressive tendency in adulthood, this aggression also may manifest in relationships with family members, particularly with a child or spouse. The same processes hypothesized to account for an association between corporal punishment and general aggression also are expected to account for a tendency toward violence against family members.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 unhappy holly

sorry if this has already been discussed but i didnt see it. those of you who were hit, did you come from a lower/upper/middle class family with one/two parents? just wondering!

Corporal Punishment by Parents and Associated Child Behaviors and Experiences: A Meta-Analytic and Theoretical Review...

Just a note on this, I am not disagreeing with your quotes for the sake of it, but I read it on other studies, firstly findings which refer to corporal punishment often tend not to distinguish between a light slap, and the kind of things we have heard on this thread (frequent beatings, beatings with belts, sticks etc). Secondly the problems with people later in life hasn't been (aggression etc) hasn't been linked to spanking directly. It could just as easily be that the child was already predisposed to aggression, anxiety, violence..

Just a note on this, I am not disagreeing with your quotes for the sake of it, but I read it on other studies, firstly findings which refer to corporal punishment often tend not to distinguish between a light slap, and the kind of things we have heard on this thread (frequent beatings, beatings with belts, sticks etc). Secondly the problems with people later in life hasn't been (aggression etc) hasn't been linked to spanking directly. It could just as easily be that the child was already predisposed to aggression, anxiety, violence..

In fairness the study does make an effort to delineate between physical abuse and corporal punishment.
    The present article adopts the definition of corporal punishment offered by Straus (1994a). “Corporal punishment is the use of physical force with the intention of causing a child to experience pain but not injury for the purposes of correction or control of the child’s behavior” (p. 4).

Secondly the problems with people later in life hasn't been (aggression etc) hasn't been linked to spanking directly. It could just as easily be that the child was already predisposed to aggression, anxiety, violence..

There is always the problem that correlation is not causation. I'd be the type of person who'd read these studies with a skeptical eye myself seeing as they're almost impossible to insulate from the values of those who carry them out (at least imho).

There is always the problem that correlation is not causation. I'd be the type of person who'd read these studies with a skeptical eye myself seeing as they're almost impossible to insulate from the values of those who carry them out (at least imho).

I'd agree, and that goes for both sides. I found at least one study which said that spanking did no harm, only the researcher who carried it out seems also to have penned a list of his own suggested physical punishments which for me would go beyond acceptable.

missvirgo: What are you saying? That all who have been disciplined in this way are somehow damaged? Please clarify because it seems like you're changing your position.
    About whether or not being hit by your parents really never did any harm... because i can't see how it could possibly not do harm.

That's all.

missvirgo: What are you saying? That all who have been disciplined in this way are somehow damaged? Please clarify because it seems like you're changing your position.

I'm saying that i think that anyone who has been hit by their parents has been affected by it in some negative way...

Maybe i'm wrong... but this is what i think.

I'm not trying to claim that anyone who has ever been hit by their parents is 'damaged' or '****ed up'...

Look, i know no-ones lives are perfect, and their are many reasons for issues/problems in ones lives...

I just think that being hit by your parents is bound to have a negative impact on your life...

I don't see how there could be any need/circumstance for a fully grown adult to hit a little child...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I'm saying that i think that anyone who has been hit by their parents has been affected by it in some negative way...

Maybe i'm wrong... but this is what i think.

I'm not trying to claim that anyone who has ever been hit by their parents is 'damaged' or '****ed up'...

Look, i know no-ones lives are perfect, and their are many reasons for issues/problems in ones lives...

I just think that being hit by your parents is bound to have a negative impact on your life...

I don't see how there could be any need/circumstance for a fully grown adult to hit a little child...

Everyone is different, I know my dad was damaged and f***ed up. He turned to drink and drugs however he was tortured and abused it wasnt just the odd smack. It was systematic torture and abuse. He clamed down the older he got but the damage was done, his parents were evil, bible bashers.

We fared better but by today's standards we were abused, My brothers and I are quite normal (whatever normal is), my life is very fulfilling and rewarding, the only thing that affected me was i was unable to stand up in a fight (both verbal and physical) i would back down and walk away, i would get walked over. Took me a few years before i could stand up for myself, but i got there.

Many kids have the same issues even ones that weren't smacked. I think a lot is down to the child's personality, i do believe abuse can scar but i dont think a smack (singular with out an implement) scars.

There is a big difference between a smack on the bum when the child does something dangerous and where one parent pins the child down while the other strikes the child repeatedly with a metal pipe cutting open the child's back, just because they dont want to eat fat dripping sandwiches, or they broke a cup.

It helped a lot when we found out what his parents were like as i found i could blame them and not him, I knew then why he was the way he was and forgave him. Even up until his death he was still trying to get his parents to love him and they never did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'm saying that i think that anyone who has been hit by their parents has been affected by it in some negative way..

I'll tell you how being slapped by my mum affected me, shall I. It affected me, in as much, that I didn't end up being spread across a road like strawberry jam on the way to school one morning. The result of which being hit by a truck and not my mother, would have been a likely outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

My mam regularly smacked me on the arse if I was bold. What's funny is I used to dodge it and then she'd say "come back here and let me hit you!"

I got a hiding once for saying diabolical as I was told that was a bad word. :confused: Think she may have misheard me.

And one time my Dad kicked me in the head from a sitting position when I said "balls" which was also a bad word apparently. I was standing up. Still not fully sure how he did it, it was quite impressive.:D

But those were isolated incidents and I've never been negatively affected by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

As a means of disciplining ones child, giving them a light smack to learn a lesson is well within the liberty of any parent.

What about the liberty of the child? I think their liberty to live without being hit outweighs the parents liberty to smack them, just as it would in any other situation involving one person striking another.
    I would only argue that it should be used in appropriate circumstances after all other means of discipline have been exercised, but it is nonetheless a tool to be used by parents.

The thing is, the person who decides the "appropriate circumstances" and the one carrying out the action are on and the same. Do you also agree that all adults should be able to smack children when they feel all other methods have been exhausted?
    It's nothing more than hysteria to object to a light smack for the purposes of discipline as far as I see it. Actually, it would be a failing not to discipline a child adequately at all.

What's so hysterical about it? And you're equating not smacking with not disciplining adequately, which you haven't shown to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

I reckon the psychological torture of 'sitting in the naughty corner' used by 'softy' parents where is kid is saying to themselves " wtf I am sitting here for? " might be actually worse on the child than a controlled slap that stings for 20 seconds and is done and over with - no hard feelings.

There is a BIG difference between this and real physical and mental abuse. Saying to the child ' I want you to think about what you did ' in relation to some offence can only come from a corrupted mind - let the child think like a child is supposed to! Adult concerns and mindsets come later in life and do not need to be imposed on them at a young age.

What about the liberty of the child? I think their liberty to live without being hit outweighs the parents liberty to smack them, just as it would in any other situation involving one person striking another.

Parents have authority over their children until they become adults. Parents guide and discipline their children until they are 18 years old by which point they become adults in their own right.

Painting the idea of a parent giving their child a light smack as an abuser doesn't really wash with me, particularly when the idea has been proven effective as one means amongst many for disciplining kids.

The idea that children should have entire free reign seems absurd.
    The thing is, the person who decides the "appropriate circumstances" and the one carrying out the action are on and the same. Do you also agree that all adults should be able to smack children when they feel all other methods have been exhausted?

Thankfully we have legal limits to what can be the case. Parents are the ones who are the guardians of their children for the most part, if it turns abusive then the State have the right to step in.
    What's so hysterical about it? And you're equating not smacking with not disciplining adequately, which you haven't shown to be the case.

You're reading too much into my post if you think I've equated anything with anything else.

Your position is hysterical because it takes something which is benign and defines it as abusive. I see that as hysterical.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

Parents have authority over their children until they become adults. Parents guide and discipline their children until they are 18 years old by which point they become adults in their own right.

There's no need to explain this to me; I realise this is what some think but I disagree. Having a child doesn't mean they become your property as many here have implied but rather they become your responsibility. The difference is that property can be treated however the owner deems appropriate but nobody else has the authority to do the same without permission from that owner. If people saw children as their responsibility instead they would be obliged to ensure their safety while allowing them the freedom to do what fulfills them, not act as if the children were inherently flawed and in need of "correction". Parents are only custodians of their children until they become adults and not their owners.
    Painting the idea of a parent giving their child a light smack as an abuser doesn't really wash with me, particularly when the idea has been proven effective as one means amongst many for disciplining kids.

Effective does not imply optimal. As I've stated already, slapping my partner in the face might be an effective way of stopping her from arguing with me but it guarantees neither that there is no alternative, nor that my wish is justified. Slapping a child may teach them not to do a certain thing but I think it's better to teach by example and explaining actions and consequences rather than instilling your desired behaviour in a person through fear.
    The idea that children should have entire free reign seems absurd.

If by this you mean the free reign to put their hand in a fire or eat poison then yes it is. But protecting a child from harming themselves does not mean you get to decide what kind of person they should become and often I see parents use force on children to make them do something rather than to protect them.
    Thankfully we have legal limits to what can be the case. Parents are the ones who are the guardians of their children for the most part, if it turns abusive then the State have the right to step in.

That doesn't address the issue of the judge and jury also being the executioner, nor does it answer me question. I'll restate it: should the right to physically discipline children be a tool available to all adults in charge of children and, since you brought it up, separate to your answer to this, should social workers and foster parents assume this right (to slap) normally reserved for parents in cases where the state has stepped in and taken custody of abused children?
    You're reading too much into my post if you think I've equated anything with anything else.

So do you think it's possible for a child to be disciplined without being smacked?
    Your position is hysterical because it takes something which is benign and defines it as abusive. I see that as hysterical.

I don't think I ever said that I considered my getting slapped during my childhood "abuse", of the type commonly understood in this context. I do think it was unnecessary and didn't even have it's intended effects. In fact, I came to hold the opinions I do despite, rather than because of the slaps I received. You are the one saying that it should be used when the adult feels there is no other option so the burden to defend it's use falls upon you and I feel entirely justified remaining sceptical until such time as you have convinced me. Calling me hysterical for having an opinion contrary to yours and for something I didn't actually say does not help your case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee

Eramen wrote: »
    I reckon the psychological torture of 'sitting in the naughty corner' used by 'softy' parents where is kid is saying to themselves " wtf I am sitting here for? " might be actually worse on the child than a controlled slap that stings for 20 seconds and is done and over with - no hard feelings.

There is a BIG difference between this and real physical and mental abuse. Saying to the child ' I want you to think about what you did ' in relation to some offence can only come from a corrupted mind - let the child think like a child is supposed to! Adult concerns and mindsets come later in life and do not need to be imposed on them at a young age.

If a child is being bold and you slap them and they don't stop being bold do you keep Slapping them until they do stop? How many slaps before it's considered a beating?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Threads like this upset me because it makes villains out of our beloved parents. In those days there was no proper guidance on how to discipline kids except with a smack. These parents were anxious for their children to know right from wrong and this was the only way they knew how.

Supernanny has been excellent for helping parents to achieve this without any need for physical punishment, but her steps need to be followed properly for them to be effective. Some parents are not doing this, and their children are the ones that cause problems.

On a negative note about being smacked, when I look back I can remember my brothers and I were quite vicious when we had fights as children. None of our children are like that, and they're all Supernannied kids :D

Thankfully smacking children in public is now frowned upon, it's something I always hated to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I was hit (mostly slapped on the bum, wooden spoon :)) when I deserved it and it did me no harm whatsoever, I think kids are far too molly coddled today, I am of course not advocating physical abuse of a child but there is absolutely nothing wrong with discipline imo

If we had more of it these days society wouldnt be on a downward slope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

This to me branches back to having a kid because you want one. People have a sense of ownership of their kids and think that they and only they have the right to say how they should be raised.

They would cry bloody murder if a stranger smacked their kid for misbehaving yet see nothing wrong in doing it themselves. Why ? Because its their kid, they created it, they are raising it and in their eyes they own it until it can be independent.

I got a few belts growing up and it didnt do me much noticeable harm but that doesnt excuse it. There are other ways to discipline a kid without resorting to violence. Kids are not yours to do with as you please they are your responsibility to protect and raise.

Violence is the lazy option for someone who hasnt actually got the patience or ability to properly raise a child and just wants to force them into line to make their own lives easier to manage.

kryogen wrote: »
    I was hit (mostly slapped on the bum, wooden spoon :)) when I deserved it and it did me no harm whatsoever, I think kids are far too molly coddled today, I am of course not advocating physical abuse of a child but there is absolutely nothing wrong with discipline imo

If we had more of it these days society wouldnt be on a downward slope

Why is the best argument for corporal punishment "it did me no harm"?

1 - It has done others harm
    2 - The whole point is to do more than just "not harm"!

And while here, why the hell do people thing that no slapping autmoatically means no discipline? You do not that a lot of people can actaully dsicipline a child without hitting it?

Seriously, new argument please.

Seriously, new argument please.

Likewise.

Also drunk posting deserves a spanking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I was hit on by my parents...then again, I'm a sexy little mf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

Yes many times.

Im complete against it now though, as there was times i didnt deserve it, or they were wrong. Its hard to take belt lashes back when you find out you beat the wrong child, harder for the child to ever forgive you either.

I amnt against the occasional slap, but I think it was done a little too often, and a few times far too hard(with a belt). Once particularly, i always remember, I said something wrong, dont remember what, I got a horribley painful beating, I only remember thinking "This is wrong". I remember thinking Im not even sure what i said wrong.

I did turn out well though. That was my choice though.

Likewise.

Also drunk posting deserves a spanking.

Can't reply to a new arguemnt unless you present one.

Liam Byrne wrote: »

I never said my 'can't see' takes precedence...

I'm sharing my opinion...

How can someone you trust & love hitting you not do any harm?

All I can say is that it didn't. I can't answer hypothetical questions.

My mam regularly smacked me on the arse if I was bold. What's funny is I used to dodge it and then she'd say "come back here and let me hit you!"

I got a hiding once for saying diabolical as I was told that was a bad word. :confused: Think she may have misheard me.

And one time my Dad kicked me in the head from a sitting position when I said "balls" which was also a bad word apparently. I was standing up. Still not fully sure how he did it, it was quite impressive.:D

But those were isolated incidents and I've never been negatively affected by them.

Your Dad kicking you in the head is a step too far now, in all fairness

Can't reply to a new arguemnt unless you present one.

Except this isn't the "convince me why spanking is a good thing" thread.

I also seem to remember you saying you wouldn't see me post anymore..

What about the liberty of the child? I think their liberty to live without being hit outweighs the parents liberty to smack them

Liberty doesn't factor into it if they're seriously crossing a line.

Some mindless thugs and teens in London decided that their liberty included arson and looting - whose liberty takes precedence ?

The one who is not breaking the law or being a brat.

It's a lesson well learnt via a minor smack or two in time (and no, we're not talking about a thumping or a hiding) before someone with less of the child's interests at heart teaches them it later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

I did.

I think it was unnecessary adult-on-child violence.

Hitting children is stupid.

What say y'all?

I got battered, didn't do me any harm

21/25

uch wrote: »
    I got battered, didn't do me any harm

You're codding me?

Except this isn't the "convince me why spanking is a good thing" thread.

I also seem to remember you saying you wouldn't see me post anymore..

Ignore function didn't work (just kidding!)

Well, you're dropped the petty insults attitude so we'll talk. You still haven't presented in argument in three responces, though, so I'm not sure what your motive is here.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement