Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did you get hit by your parents?

1192021222325»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭vixen chaser

stimpson wrote: »
    I agree, but I'm not sure he was adding anything to the conversation beyond encouraging people to develop their technique.

I find it deeply disturbing that someone like that can think it's normal to use weapons to discipline children, then come online to share it with others as if it was the most natural thing in the world.

I would imagine that he's only winding yee up. He probably doesn't even have kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

I agree, but I'm not sure he was adding anything to the conversation beyond encouraging people to develop their technique.

I find it deeply disturbing that someone like that can think it's normal to use weapons to discipline children, then come online to share it with others as if it was the most natural thing in the world.

I find it disturbing that anyone is willing to smack a child and do the same thing. Few people would boast about beating sense into an adult who had a child's mental age but it's fine if they have the fragile body to match.

I'm not saying the world will fall apart. A smack isn't harming a child, it's simply teaching them right from wrong. For some kids yes nanny 911 steps might help, but other kids might respond better to a smack. These days kids probably view the removal of priveleges as been as child abuse. It should be at a parents discresion, as to how they want to discipline their kids. I wont apologise for my view. Of course when I have kids and I feel that they respond well to other forms of punishment(non physical), well then I will use them. However if they fail to make any difference, well then I will use smacking. I will not harm my children. Harm awaits them in the world, if their not adequately disciplined. If I have to resort to smacking I will.

As if

i'm not really sure why you asked if you don't want to hear the answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I understand. What good did it do though?

It stopped him from advocating violence in public.

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    i'm not really sure why you asked if you don't want to hear the answer

I feel you can't accept other peoples opinions. Maybe you didn't need to be smacked to give you morals, but I did. A good trait in an adult is to except other peoples opinions, you don't have to agree with them, but except them. I respect your opinion, I don't fully agree with with it, but that's the way life is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

I find it disturbing that anyone is willing to smack a child and do the same thing. Few people would boast about beating sense into an adult who had a child's mental age but it's fine if they have the fragile body to match.

I completely agree. I do think what he was advocating is an order of magnitude worse than the pro-smacking lobby.

I feel you can't accept other peoples opinions. Maybe you didn't need to be smacked to give you morals, but I did. A good trait in an adult is to except other peoples opinions, you don't have to agree with them, but except them. I respect your opinion, I don't fully agree with with it, but that's the way life is.

i answered your question on whether i got hit as a child and that translates into me not "excepting" other people's opinions?

bluewolf wrote: »
    i answered your question on whether i got hit as a child and that translates into me not "excepting" other people's opinions?

In your first reply to one of my threads you were incredibly sarcastic. It was life experience not yours. You weren't in either me or my Dad's shoes. You don't know what other non physical forms of discipline they used.

posting that you didn't hand in money, consequently got hit, and now do hand in money because "my father instilled in me morals to do so" i.e. your father hit you, kind of implies that you do it now because you got hit

you can have all the opinions you want but if you are now claiming it was due to other reasons you could try and not be misleading in future

• Advertisement

what are you on about? Smacking was the most populare disclipining tool when I was a kid. I fully stand by all my posts, and I have the highest respect for my parents. When they are gone I will be devastated, but they no longer smack me. In fact no one will ever smack me for not handing in money.But I hand it in anyay. Whether I believe been smacked as a child has given me those morals to do so, that is my opinion based on my life experience. Is that clear enough for you?.

what are you on about? Smacking was the most populare disclipining tool when I was a kid.

So I'd imagine the children back then were at least as badly-behaved than those today or a lot of parents smacked when there was no need. What do you think was the case?

It stopped him from advocating violence in public.

What about all of the other posters who smack their kids with hands or belts? I'd call that violence.

What about all of the other posters who smack their kids with hands or belts? I'd call that violence.

What would you like me to do?

I feel that yes some kids were smacked for no need, but that was the parents fault. My own personal experience I feel all my smacks were deserved, but I saw some psycho parents of friends hitting them for no need, as I explained in an eaerlier post. To your point of ''as badly behaved ass now'' I feel, kids are away more unruly these day, because in my opinion kids were put in their place before they got the chance to be the way kids are today. You mightn't agree with the methods used or logic of fear., But I don't think that is a bad thing. Now don't get me wrong, there were scangers acting the bollix in my day, but they were few and far between and usually in a socially disadvantaged background. Most kids were away better behaved than today, and away more mannerly. Now I know some people will fully agree with me and others will disagree just think that every generation thinks the one after them are brats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Also the ritualistic (almost fetishistic) way he describes carrying it out suggest a much more sinister undertone to what he's doing. I'm going to get hung for saying this, but I think so often there is a fine line between corporal punishment of children and sex abuse. It's the complete disregard for a child's bodily integrity.

Well are the other posters advocating violence or not? I'd like you to not have double-standards when it comes to reasons for banning people.
    I feel that yes some kids were smacked for no need, but that was the parents fault. My own personal experience I feel all my smacks were deserved, but I saw some psycho parents of friends hitting them for no need, as I explained in an eaerlier post. To your point of ''as badly behaved ass now'' I feel, kids are away more unruly these day, because in my opinion kids were put in their place before they got the chance to be the way kids are today. You mightn't agree with the methods used or logic of fear., But I don't think that is a bad thing. Now don't get me wrong, there were scangers acting the bollix in my day, but they were few and far between and usually in a socially disadvantaged background. Most kids were away better behaved than today, and away more mannerly. Now I know some people will fully agree with me and others will disagree just think that every generation thinks the one after them are brats

So is it okay for those kids to be smacked for no need just so others who apparently deserve it also can be? I'm still at a loss to see how misbehaviour warrants violence from someone much bigger than you who should be more restrained.

Smacking children with a hand is perfectly legal, and and I understand that it at parents discresion. This is a discussion forum and as someone pointed out opinions are like ass holes every one has one. When I have kids I will smack my kids if I feel it is warranted and other methods have failed. If people find my opinion offensive then tough. As long as it is still legal, then parents are doing nothing wrong by giving their kids a smack. Some people on here can not except other people have opinions, and should only state their opinion and not shove them on other people.

Well are the other posters advocating violence or not? I'd like you to not have double-standards when it comes to reasons for banning people.

Ok. I want you to show me some posts that are as bad as the one that Kosseegan wrote.

Smacking children with a hand is perfectly legal, and and I understand that it at parents discresion. This is a discussion forum and as someone pointed out opinions are like ass holes every one has one. When I have kids I will smack my kids if I feel it is warranted and other methods have failed. If people find my opinion offensive then tough. As long as it is still legal, then parents are doing nothing wrong by giving their kids a smack. Some people on here can not except other people have opinions, and should only state their opinion and not shove them on other people.

I have no idea why you are quoting my post as i haven't directed a single comment towards you.

• Advertisement

So is it okay for those kids to be smacked for no need just so others who apparently deserve it also can be? I'm still at a loss to see how misbehaviour warrants violence from someone much bigger than you who should be more restrained.

You are misunderstanding me. I fully condemn any parent who bates the ****e out of a child only to fulfil their psycho needs. That is child abuse, with out a doubt. However if a parent gives a child a smack across the legs because of an incidident of bad behaviour.,Then I feel that is something totally different.

I have no idea why you are quoting my post as i haven't directed a single comment towards you.

It was actually meant to quote russell aswell asking you to take measures sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

I was smacked (hand, wooden spoon, slipper, the belt an odd time) - none of these 'punishments' were done in an aggresive or severe manner, in fact, the lead up to getting a wallop was worse than the actual wallop..I dont feel resentful to my parents, and as a child, I would not have DREAMED of speaking to my parents the way mine do to me, whether that was out of fear of the dreaded wallop or just old fashioned respect, I dont know..
    My mother used to call it 'a jolly good smack', but at the time there was nothing good or jolly about it..:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

The guy was clearly trolling. There is a big differance between a clip around the ear and caning a teenagers bare bottom.

Ok. I want you to show me some posts that are as bad as the one that Kosseegan wrote.

You said they he/she got banned for advocating violence in public. Were the others violent or not?
    You are misunderstanding me. I fully condemn any parent who bates the ****e out of a child only to fulfil their psycho needs. That is child abuse, with out a doubt. However if a parent gives a child a smack across the legs because of an incidident of bad behaviour.,Then I feel that is something totally different.

That's not what I asked. You agreed that there were kids who were smacked for no need, that doesn't mean they were hit any more than those who apparently deserved it. Was it justified for them to have to put up with being hit by their parents just so those other kids could be put in line?

no offence, but that post is stuid. If Ireland was to ban smacking tomorrow morning, those psychos will still exist

You said they he/she got banned for advocating violence in public. Were the others violent or not?

That's not what I asked. You agreed that there were kids who were smacked for no need, that doesn't mean they were hit any more than those who apparently deserved it. Was it justified for them to have to put up with being hit by their parents just so those other kids could be put in line?

I asked you to show me some posts that were as bad as his one was and you didn't. Why? Because there aren't any. His post was in my mind disgusting and sick and he deliberately set out to troll the people who had participated in the thread.

FWIW, i was given the odd smack on the back of the legs or the hand by both my parents, but i knew i must have seriously stepped out of line for them to do it. Most of the time they actually apologised to me after a few minutes. When i think back about the times that i got a slap, i realise that i got off lightly because i used to push them to the limit sometimes. Usually i got shouted at and/or grounded, but that was a rare occurance as well because i respected my parents and i knew the difference between right and wrong.

Anyway the thread has gone round in circles for a while and the debate on both sides has been good for the best part. So i think we'll call it a day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement