Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did you get hit by your parents?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

charlemont wrote: »
    I see what your saying, Your obviously doing it for his better good so, Sounds like my ex's child a live wire but the most loving child ever.

Boys will be boys!! He is very loveable to other kids too I've never seen him lay a finger on another child even when he got the most horrific bite from another little boy in the creche he just cried and walked away so I don't think the 2 smacks have made him any way aggressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Dudess wrote: »
    Fook, even if your father's behaviour did you no harm, it's inexcusable.

But when I criticize children being hit I'm called close minded...Think you want to sort your problem out..
    Eh... You referred to smacking, no elaboration, therefore it looked like you were even accusing those who give the kid a light smack on the arse when they're being very badly-behaved (destructive, very cheeky, rude etc) as scummy. Obviously there's a vast difference between that and a beating, and obviously people who understand a light smack as a last resort, don't agree with beatings...
    You don't know anything about me either so I don't see any logic in you maintaining I know nothing about life.
    If you were beaten as a child, then that's horrific and sad and enraging, but a slight slap on the bum when nothing else works is not comparable - even if the ideal would be for it not to happen. I experienced the latter and I do not feel as though I was abused or intimidated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Lets all agree to differ eh!

I got bet and it did me good.

You got bet and it did you good, but you resent it.

Fair enough.

cursai wrote: »
    Lets all agree to differ eh!

I got bet and it did me good.

You got bet and it did you good, but you resent it.

Fair enough.

Haha love that we got 'bet' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i was smacked, never hit. there is a huge difference.

i think its ok for parents to smack their children, within reason of course and as long as its not voilence.

a smack of the wooden spoon across my ass never did me any harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Macken200

Fook. Not nice... :-/
    Crap the way it's so hard in this country to get that kinda sh1t stopped...

No, it's not nice and I could see the resentment/hurt in her face when she told me. My siblings and I were all slapped as kids as were my parents- I never liked it nor understood it, although my kid makes me angry at times I wouldn't really feel right about hitting a 4 foot nothing person.It's the way of the world to punish children by slapping them ,not just this country but there will always be people who agree with slapping and those who don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

i was hit plenty when i was younger , now im an animal for fighting , im able to go randy jackson on your arse...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I'm out, Apologies if it got out of hand. Anything to do with children being hurt just makes me real mad. I'v got issues at least I can admit it but that doesn't make me a bad person either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

kelty wrote: »
    When I was younger my father use to beat me, my bother and sisters with a cane when we became unruly. Didn't do us any harm and he brought us up good and proper to be polite and respectful of others.

He sacrificed all of his savings to put all 4 of us through college and now all of us have successful careers. He wanted what was best for us and I am thankful to him for that. :)

that's utter bollocks.
    Every one of my siblings is a sucessful professional with great pay.

The emotional damage cannot be compensated with degrees and top pay.
    Oddly you sound like you were brainwashed by my parents - who judged our success in life by exam results and job status.
    Each of my siblings agrees with me

I'm grateful for the private school I went to and all that - but it pales compared to the **** I went through.

The beatings never made me respect anybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

My old man used to lose it in a big way and basically beat the **** out of me and my brothers. This wasn't all the time but he would explode a couple of times a month. Looking back it really was disgraceful. He was so out of control at times that he could have seriously injured us. He stopped hitting us when we grew as big as him. It definitely affected my respect for the man. How could I trust him? He died a couple of months ago but I had forgiven him a long time before. We got on okay in the years before he died but I really felt like I should have felt more emotion when he passed away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

A lot of people on here don't know what they are talking about, But then that's not surprising either, If people think its ok for parents to humiliate and beat their children just for daring to actually think different or refusing to be the person they want you to be than that is scandalous thinking, No wonder this country is full of sheep.

this country is full of ignorant, disrespectful children. the bold step doesnt exactly frighten a 6 year old little scumbag these days does it? 3 people i know have the worse kids in the history of this country, they are afraid to discipline their child and as a result, the children are horrible horrible twats. one of them needs special attention from a support teacher in his class. every day they are talkign about him. there is noting wrong with him, he just does not know right from wrong.

i dont think anybody will condone violence, but jaysus even contemplate slapping a child in the hand and some people think you should be locked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

A lot. Lost all respect to my father who still poses more like a threat than a parent. The correcting canceled almost everything good he has ever done for me.
    I think, there might be educational or correctional way of physical punishment, but I wouldn't beat anybody so bad, especially not a child, not to mention own one (if I had any).
    And till now, I have troubles not to intervene when I see strangers "correcting" their kids.

this country is full of ignorant, disrespectful children. the bold step doesnt exactly frighten a 6 year old little scumbag these days does it? 3 people i know have the worse kids in the history of this country, they are afraid to discipline their child and as a result, the children are horrible horrible twats. one of them needs special attention from a support teacher in his class. every day they are talkign about him. there is noting wrong with him, he just does not know right from wrong.

i dont think anybody will condone violence, but jaysus even contemplate slapping a child in the hand and some people think you should be locked up.

I really don't think it's right to call a 6 year old a scumbag, but definitely some parents who do not discipline their children at all end up with children with less than desirable characteristics!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Was never beaten as a child thankfully. I find it amazing that anyone would raise a hand to any child. (tho some kids can try me at times!)

My parents would have been the same, as in they would have not had a hand raised to them and that I'm sure reflected on my upbringing.

I guess if you yourself were beaten as a child you would be more inclined to beat your own kids and think it was acceptable.

Anyways, I think anyone who was hit as a child would have some physiological damage at some level.

Apologies if it got out of hand. Anything to do with children being hurt just makes me real mad.
    Of course. Me too.
    I'v got issues at least I can admit it but that doesn't make me a bad person either.
    nobody said it did.

Was never beaten as a child thankfully. I find it amazing that anyone would raise a hand to any child. (tho some kids can try me at times!)

My parents would have been the same, as in they would have not had a hand raised to them and that I'm sure reflected on my upbringing.

I guess if you yourself were beaten as a child you would be more inclined to beat your own kids and think it was acceptable.

Anyways, I think anyone who was hit as a child would have some physiological damage at some level.

Really? Even someone who got a few smacks or a clip round the ear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Little Jimmy needs a good crack on the arse occasionally

Thinking it doesn't mean it's true anyway.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I received the occasional slap and spank, but (thankfully) nothing in terms of being beaten or struck with a weapon. That to me is clearly child abuse.:mad::mad:

Ireland is a disgrace compared to more enlightened countries in this regard - we were notorious for high levels of child abuse and violence/beatings of children up until very recently. Generations of Irish children were basically unloved (too many of them per family for starters) and beaten to within an inch of their lives. It often resulted in them being badly mentally damaged for the rest of their lives.:(

Of course, viscous physical violence was also meted out to children by the religious orders, sometimes so extreme that the small children died as a result.

There is no need to resort to hitting a child - there are more effective and socially progressive ways of disciplining them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

My father never laid a hand on me and my mother did it infrequently, though her favourite technique was to dig her fairly longish nails into my upper arm which could be fairly agonising. She used to use it to discipline me when we were out in public and she didn't want to make it obvious.

It hasn't had any affect on me and was mundane in comparison to the treatment some people on here have received but looking back I wouldn't see it as a nice thing to do to someone and I'd baulk myself at the idea of laying a hand on a child. That said though my mother has done far, far more right for me than anything she ever did wrong and I accept that she's only human and there's no such thing as the perfect parent who does the right thing everytime, especially in a situation that's fractious and emotional.

Looking at it from my utterly inexperienced point of view (no kids), I always feared the denial of privileges and a 20-30 minute tongue lashing more than any physical punishment and when I have kids of my own, it'd be the way I'd (like to think I'd) approach it myself.

That said no battle plan survives contact with the enemy :P

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I reveived the occasional slap and spank, but nothing in terms of beating or being struck with a weapon. That to me is clearly child abuse.:mad::mad:

Ireland is a disgrace compared to more enlightened countries in this regard - we were notorious for high levels of child abuse and violence/beatings of children up until very recently. Gemerations of Irish children were basically unloved (too many of them for starters) and beasten to within an inch of their lives. It often resulted in them being badly mentally damaged for the rest of their lives.:(

Of course, this was also meted oiut by the religious orders, sometine so ectreme that the small children died as a result.

THee is no ned to resort to hitting a child - there are more effective ways of disciplining them.

I agree whole-heartedly with you with regards to the child abuse. I don't think you'd find anybody on this that would disagree. But me smacking my toddler's bum occasionally is a different ball game altogether.

ziggy23 wrote: »
    I reveived the occasional slap and spank, but nothing in terms of beating or being struck with a weapon. That to me is clearly child abuse.:mad::mad:

Ireland is a disgrace compared to more enlightened countries in this regard - we were notorious for high levels of child abuse and violence/beatings of children up until very recently. Gemerations of Irish children were basically unloved (too many of them for starters) and beasten to within an inch of their lives. It often resulted in them being badly mentally damaged for the rest of their lives.:(

Of course, this was also meted oiut by the religious orders, sometine so ectreme that the small children died as a result.

THee is no ned to resort to hitting a child - there are more effective ways of disciplining them.

I agree whole-heartedly with you with regards to the child abuse. I don't think you'd find anybody on this that would disagree. But me smacking my toddler's bum occasionally is a different ball game altogether.
    Yeah, it's a bit grating the way the distinction is often not being made here... :-/

[/B]

To some degree yes, I guess so. I was more leaning towards kids who would be beaten willy-nilly for any old thing.

Myself and my siblings would (and still do) respected our parents and elders so a clip around the ear was never needed. Something really lacking in most kids nowadays I feel.

Everyone will have their own idea of what way to raise their children and hitting them might be one method. It's not something I'd ever do tho and would hate to think I'd ever have to resort to it. I'm very much so against child abuse in any form as I'm sure you are yourself.

Yeah, it's a bit grating the way the distinction is often not being made here... :-/
    Definitely, i even think there is a big difference between 'hitting' and 'smacking'. To me hitting is continuous and more than one slap or smack. I'm talking about A smack rarely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Edal

No it isn't. No excuse for that whatsoever.

Just a more toned down version of what is being discussed.

• Advertisement

To some degree yes, I guess so. I was more leaning towards kids who would be beaten willy-nilly for any old thing.

Myself and my siblings would (and still do) respected our parents and elders so a clip around the ear was never needed. Something really lacking in most kids nowadays I feel.

Everyone will have their own idea of what way to raise their children and hitting them might be one method. It's not something I'd ever do tho and would hate to think I'd ever have to resort to it. I'm very much so against child abuse in any form as I'm sure you are yourself.

Oh god yes definitely. I think it also depends on the child too. Some kids are really sensitive and timid and theres some cheeky pups who a little smack on the bum wouldn't phase them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

My father never laid a hand on me and my mother did it infrequently, though her favourite technique was to dig her fairly longish nails into my upper arm which could be fairly agonising. She used to use it to discipline me when we were out in public and she didn't want to make it obvious.

I used to get that too. Nipped in the leg or arm in places like mass or at my granny's at christmas if i was playing up. Very sore.

Edal wrote: »
    No it isn't. No excuse for that whatsoever.

Just a more toned down version of what is being discussed.

I disagree with you I have to say. There is no way I abuse my child by giving him a light smack. It would be more abusive to him if I let him get away with murder. The 2 times I've smacked him was after I had tried all the other techniques and he getting bolder and bolder. What else could I have done in that situation? Ignoring him doesnt work when he is worked up like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

[/B]

I got a few smacks over the years, but I wouldn't agree with it. Granted, it can be extremely frustrating as a parent when a child steps out of line, though there are other ways of punishing a child. Grounding, stopping them from watching TV, the playstation, stopping their pocket money etc.

Don't talk with your hands, talk to your child and combined with the punishments I mentioned, discuss why what they did was wrong. when I got smacked I saw someone I loved physically hurting me, which made me resent them. 99% of it was my mother, and I'm much closer to my father.

Times have changed though, and it is extremely difficult for a parent bringing up a child these days. They're finding out about 'things' much younger, and don't seem to have much respect for their elders or other peoples property.

I've thought about his a little, and I think a contributing factor maybe that these days it takes two parents to be working to pay for their homes, bills etc. I'm torn on this matter, because I love working, but at the same time I think that maybe missing a parent at home may be a part of the problem. With that said, there are some homes that do have have a parent at home, and in some cases two and we still have the same problem.

I suppose my conclusion on this would be that a child will only become what you make of them, and it's not a job you can do half-arsed. Children need constant guidance, reassurance and love. If you don't have that to give, you should re-think having children.

Abi wrote: »
    I got a few smacks over the years, but I wouldn't agree with it. Granted, it can be extremely frustrating as a parent when a child steps out of line, though there are other ways of punishing a child. Grounding, stopping them from watching TV, the playstation, stopping their pocket money etc.

Don't talk with your hands, talk to your child and combined with the punishments I mentioned, discuss why what they did was wrong. when I got smacked I saw someone I loved physically hurting me, which made me resent them. 99% of it was my mother, and I'm much closer to my father.

Times have changed though, and it is extremely difficult for a parent bringing up a child these days. They're finding out about 'things' much younger, and don't seem to have much respect for their elders or other peoples property.

I've thought about his a little, and I think a contributing factor maybe that these days it takes two parents to be working to pay for their homes, bills etc. I'm torn on this matter, because I love working, but at the same time I think that maybe missing a parent at home may be a part of the problem. With that said, there are some homes that do have have a parent at home, and in some cases two and we still have the same problem.

I suppose my conclusion on this would be that a child will only become what you make of them, and it's not a job you can do half-arsed. Children need constant guidance, reassurance and love. If you don't have that to give, you should re-think having children.

I can see where you are coming from and it does depend on the child and the situation. All I can give is my experiences and I have to say I'm very proud of my son he is very good natured and the tantrums (which most kids go through!) are less frequent now. I did what I believed was right in those 2 situations where I smacked him. I also believe though there has to be lots of hugs and kisses and praise when a child is behaving well. That is far more important. If there was none of them and just smacking when the child was bold I could see that it could lead to problems down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Abi wrote: »

Excellent points made in your post. I completely agree.:) I don't consider the occasional smack of a child to be abuse, but it should be used as a last resort as much as possible.

Too many posters on this thread were clearly physically abused - no other way of describing it - as children and IMO Ireland until very recently was one of the worst countries for child beatings. Say a lot about the emotional immaturity and propenisty ot violence in this little country's rather sad history.:(

When I think back when I was a kid, jayus! How my Hen and aul lad didn't bate us black and blue I don't know! There was 6 kids in all, ALWAYS at each others necks, but were all now we're all very close.

Anyways if you had a disagreement with a work colleague you wouldn't hit them who you? Why go home later and then hit your kids? To me just seems bizzare, but I attribute that to the way I was brought up. As already said there's far better ways to deal with kids misbehaving then to resort to beating/hitting them and they'll thank you for it in the long run imho.

When my Hen would say to me 'Wait til I tell your father!', that put the manners on me sharpish! The fear of the what ifs that might be done to me were FAR greater then any kind of clip/hit/smack I would have possibly received.

Man, now that I think of it, raising kids is hard! I'm getting my tubes tied!! :pac:

I disagree with you I have to say. There is no way I abuse my child by giving him a light smack. It would be more abusive to him if I let him get away with murder. The 2 times I've smacked him was after I had tried all the other techniques and he getting bolder and bolder. What else could I have done in that situation? Ignoring him doesnt work when he is worked up like that.

I'm sure he didn't murder anyone, though. A smack is a force of nature, an advantage of the superior eg. a man hitting (or smacking) a woman. Not saying a man is superior to a woman, but has more physical strength, so you are abusing your position. Just like with the kid, even if it is just a smack.

Not the way I'd like to bring them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

A clip round the ear never hurt anyone, well it hurt less in the long run. My Ma was fond of an oul slipper. A quick crack of that and the troubles ended.

I was a little bollox mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Billy Connelly once said "I'd never hit my kids - only in self-defence :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I can see where you are coming from and it does depend on the child and the situation. All I can give is my experiences and I have to say I'm very proud of my son he is very good natured and the tantrums (which most kids go through!) are less frequent now. I did what I believed was right in those 2 situations where I smacked him. I also believe though there has to be lots of hugs and kisses and praise when a child is behaving well. That is far more important. If there was none of them and just smacking when the child was bold I could see that it could lead to problems down the line.
    It sounds like you've a lovely little boy :)
    Excellent points made in yourt post. I completely agree.:) I don't consider the occasional smack of a child to be abuse, but it sould be used as a last resort as much as possible.

Too many posters on this thread were clearly physically abused - no other way of describing it - as children and IMO Ireland until very recently was one of the worst countries for child beatings. Say a lot about the emotional immaturity and propenisty ot violence in this little country's rather sad history.:(
    It certainly wouldn't be the end of the world, and it is a heat of the moment thing. But definitely, avoid at all costs. If it is a constant way of dealing with bad behaviour it damages relations between the child and the parent.

If you have a breather first, then broach the issue, you'll find that the child will realize why you're upset, why it was wrong, can empathize with your position as a parent.. ie

"what you did, well I'm very upset about that, and I feel let down. You're a very smart little guy / girl, so I'm surprised that you did / said something like that. Please promise me that you won't do / say that again".

Followed by "I'm going to take away your playstation for (X amount of days). I love you but this is how we roll. You do a naughty then we gotta take something away". This all said with love and a smile, and they will understand their wrong, and why you have to punish them. It should be walked away from with an understanding, not bad feeling towards one another.

Man, now that I think of it, raising kids is hard! I'm getting my tubes tied!! :pac:

Put a rush on that >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭mayobumblebee

So what would you recommend? I would never hit my child over the head. I think I have smacked him on the bum twice and that was after everything else didn't work. I didnt hurt him but it stopped him doing what he was doing.

fair point

and i take back the lazy parent sentence that was lazy thinking on my part.
    to all you parents at the end of your wits i do apologise.

perhaps this is the issue there is no magic answer because if there was one method that worked every time for every kid it would be sold in the millions and the inventor a millionare and a god to every parent.

i myself have no magic answer i imagine trying the method of witholding favored toys or pastimes for short amounts of time as the punishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Yep, I was smacked occasionally when I was a kid by both parents and by teachers in school (1970's). My parents were sparing with it and I usually needed it to learn where the boundaries were - I didn't pay much attention otherwise.

I have two kids, 8 and 12 and I'm struggling to find ways to discipline them. They have had the occasional tap when I needed to get their attention but never a smack or anything violent. I find confiscating phones/withdrawing activities or transport works well, but you are still seen as the enemy. I'd like to see the majority of childless posters here come back in fifteen years time and tell us how you got on.

OP, if you think the treatment you received was beyond the bounds of acceptable parenting then I suggest you seek counselling or advice on how to deal with it. If the punishment bordered on abuse then you need professional help and it is important to deal with it. Trust me on this one - go and talk to someone if it was extreme or constantly on your mind.

'cptr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭scwazrh

My dad never raised his hand to me but my mother used to loose the head when provoked and give me a quick 1-2-3 while I was mouthing off . To be honest if my Dad had of hit me on occasion my mother would not have needed to.I think all kids need an occasional smack when they get out of hand.The s**t I used to say to my father was terrible but he wouldn't smack me because his mother used to beat him senseless.Like everything smacking kids is fine in moderation.

So, have I go this right? We're arguing whether or not it's right to hit (or smack) a kid?

Holy fúck. The correct answer is no, never.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

So, have I go this right? We're arguing whether or not it's right to hit (or smack) a kid?

Not even if he stole your cocaine? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Well that's that so.

Mods, you can lock up now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Arianna_26

I did.

I think it was unnecessary adult-on-child violence.

Hitting children is stupid.

What say y'all?

I was never hit by my parents and I was never grounded either. My parents were very good at explaining why something I did was wrong and they always trusted me not to make the same mistake again.

To their credit they were really good at it because I rarely did messed up in the same way again and gradually I started to see what was a logical thing to do and what wasn't.

Very interesting and diverse opinions being shared here though.

Good subject OP.

stovelid wrote: »
    Well that's that so.

Mods, you can lock up now.

Good idea. The most absurd debate, ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Sky King wrote: »
    I dunno man, you know when you see a kid having a complete spa attack in the supermarket because it wants a golly bar or whatever - do you think if that kid got a punch in the face every time it did that, it would continue to behave in this way?

For more helpful parenting tips, PM me.

As a parent I had to log in to thank this.

As a modern parent I like to think I can resolve my kids issues without resorting to violence.
    A few weeks ago my 2 eldest started to fight like cats over a toy...started to get fairly out of hand with digs and slaps being dished out so I did what I would like to think any other forward thinking parent would do....I took my phone out and filmed it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Good idea. The most absurd debate, ever.

Every time you post from here on in, my kids are gettin' a paddlin'.

rocuronium wrote: »
    we were battered. mainly by our mother. patents tried talking to me about the wrongs and rights but to no avail. nothing regsitered other than a beating. my mother broke a golf club on my brother. hit my sister such a beating that she s**t herself. i still have a scar on my hand from a similar prolonged stint.

don't think my sister will ever be able to move on from it. and despite all of this, my mother is still the person i admire most in my life.

hmm
    A... golf club?! :eek:

How some people view one slap on the arse of a very badly behaved child as same as the above is just... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Callipo

I don't understand why people are giving Chuck a hard time?

Hitting kids is wrong but there are times when a parent can "crack" and give a slap here and there. Parents are only human too and some kids can be a nightmare at times.

But it should never be the norm. Last resort? maybe.

In our house it was the norm. I don't hold it against my parents as they didn't know any better. I mean, TV didn't start till like 4 o clock or something back then! They didn't have all the "clever" info we now all have.

It does no good to hit a child. Really you will just turn them into liars at the lower end of the scale. Why tell the truth? You will get a hiding.

It is not nice getting the arse beat off you when you are 10 because you got your new shoes covered in dirt.

It happened a lot in schools too back in the day. Sadly in schools they never found a suitable replacement or punishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

mfceiling wrote: »
    As a parent I had to log in to thank this.

As a modern parent I like to think I can resolve my kids issues without resorting to violence.
    A few weeks ago my 2 eldest started to fight like cats over a toy...started to get fairly out of hand with digs and slaps being dished out so I did what I would like to think any other forward thinking parent would do....I took my phone out and filmed it...

Saw it on Sky tonight. Little Fockers ;)

• Advertisement

A... golf club?! :eek:

How some people view one slap on the arse of a very badly behaved child as same as the above is just... :confused:

Who views it as the same?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement