Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with UPC wireless speeds

• 11-12-2011 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

hi, i recently joined upc and signed up to 50 meg broadband, phone and tv but i only seem to be getting 20 meg speed and i was told on the phone by upc that on wireless connections 20 meg is the fastest it can go and that if i wanted to get speeds of 50 or close to 50 megs that i needed to buy a wireless usb adapter to boost the speed, so i was just wondering if what the person on the phone is saying is accurate and that if so im getting the right one, here it is - Edimax N150 Wireless nano USB Adaptor thank you, also if this works i plan on upgrading to 100 megs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I have 50MB and i'm getting in or around that over wifi. When I upgraded to 100MB, though, my speed over wifi only went up to 65ish, so I went back to 50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There is nothing that will guarantee speed over wifi, it simply doesn't exist. There's no way to know what speed you will achieve before trying it out. Distance and interference are your two biggest problems, and you can't do a whole lot about either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭insomniac86

jor el wrote: »
    There is nothing that will guarantee speed over wifi, it simply doesn't exist. There's no way to know what speed you will achieve before trying it out. Distance and interference are your two biggest problems, and you can't do a whole lot about either of them.
    yeah thats something ive learned the hard way i decided to bring the router upstairs and just run the ethernet cable through it and im getting just about 50 meg speed, i'll just stick with that cause to be honest ever since wifi came out years ago its always been unpredictable and sometimes unstable, im happy with this

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sudsy86

You may also want to check your wireless adapter...If it is b/g then you are not gonna get 50Mb over wireless...You will need an N class adapter to achieve these speeds...

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sudsy86

Sorry on second look at your post i see the adapter...Try going to network adapters - double click the adapter and click on advanced...Make sure the wireless mode is set to N...

• Advertisement
Advertisement