Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infinite Boot Loops with Z68 Gigabyte board

Options
  • 11-12-2011 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

There was definitely a problem with my mouse and the BIOS, booting without the mouse prevents boot loops the majority of the time. I've had a few loops without the mouse though. Checked memory etc and found no problems. Checked every USB device plugged in individually to see if there are clashes, there are none except for the mouse.

Anyone know of any fixes for this or am I stuck with potentially facing one every time I restart unless I get a new motherboard?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

GA-Z68X-UD3? With a black PCB?

I had this issue once. I took everything out of the mobo (bar CPU), shorted the CMOS, and reinstalled everything. Has worked fine from then on. I think it was caused by updating the BIOS about a day previous, but it may have been due to trying to use the QUICKBIOS software.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

GA-Z68X-UD3? With a black PCB?

I had this issue once. I took everything out of the mobo (bar CPU), shorted the CMOS, and reinstalled everything. Has worked fine from then on. I think it was caused by updating the BIOS about a day previous, but it may have been due to trying to use the QUICKBIOS software.

GA-Z68XP-UD3P. Didn't touch the BIOS has been this way since I assembled it. Tried changing around the RAM and such, no luck. Seems to have been the mouse causing USB problems at boot for the most part. But I still don't like an unstable system even if it is mostly avoidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

check to see if there are any BIOS updates online.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    check to see if there are any BIOS updates online.

Already done, none that I saw dealt with the Xai issue and from reading forums people weren't having much luck with BIOS updates if they were stuck in boot loops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

I had this problem (or a similar one) with my PA65. I moved the USB devices around to different ports and it just fixed itself...

• Advertisement

B0X wrote: »
    I had this problem (or a similar one) with my PA65. I moved the USB devices around to different ports and it just fixed itself...

Tried that. :)

The problem seems to be the BIOS not knowing what kind of device the mouse is because it makes some unusual requests at boot. Or something. My understanding of this boot stuff would be rudimentary. It's not an area I've had to worry about beyond bad DIMMs and similar.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Lots of people having this problem, you pretty much need to RMA it unfortunately. Check out this thread for more information on it:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1034724/gigabyte-p67-z68-boot-cycling-problem

deconduo wrote: »
    Lots of people having this problem, you pretty much need to RMA it unfortunately. Check out this thread for more information on it:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1034724/gigabyte-p67-z68-boot-cycling-problem

Hmm some people are reporting changing from Kingston HyperX RAM to something on the memory list fixed the problem for them. Guess what RAM is currently in this machine... ;)

I think it's primarily a USB issue for me at the moment. I get fairly stable boots without the Steelseries Xai connected and it has a reputation for screwing with the boot on certain boards including some Gigabyte ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

if youre in limerick i can give you a quick loan of corsair vengeance or gskill ripjaw ram just to rule it out.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    if youre in limerick i can give you a quick loan of corsair vengeance or gskill ripjaw ram just to rule it out.

Cork unfortunately. Have some other RAM here, just need to get off my ass and install it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement