Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of whiskey to buy?

Options
  • 11-12-2011 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to buy a present for my dad.

I'm not a drinker myself so don't know much about taste or even price.

But what is the best kind to buy?

I know he likes Jack Daniels, how much would that cost?

I know it's a bit general but any help is appreciated.

Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It's 20 euro on special in O'Briens at the moment. Normally maybe around 25 in most places?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

There are two choices:

1. Buy him what you know he likes.
    2. Buy him something different if you think he might like variety.

If the former, buy him either a bottle of ordinary jd or, if on a higher budget, a special edition jd or another us whiskey eg makers mark.

If the latter, then a good Irish or Scottish whisk(e)y would suit. Expect 30-50 for a good bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

If he likes Jack Daniels then why not get him something a bit better than the average bottle of Jack Daniels, maybe single barrel or Gentleman Jack. You could also try a different bourbon like Woodford Reserve.

Some lovely bourbon here, can't go wrong

http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/American_Whiskey/Bourbon_Whiskey/A_to_z_of_Bourbon_Whiskey-category-3-distillery-38-z-distillery.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

TBH what I would say is the best kind another person could say isn't. It is down to personal preference.

What Budget do you have for this?

Is your Dad adventurous, ie will he try something new?

If you are around Dublin drop into the guys in the Celtic Whiskey Shop, anytime I have been in there they have been very helpful and so far have not steered me wrong with any of their recommendations.

I was in O'Briens yesterday and they have a good price on Jameson 12 Year-Old Special Reserve at €24.99 at the moment, I would recommend that as a generic kind of bottle.

gandalf wrote: »
    TBH what I would say is the best kind another person could say isn't. It is down to personal preference.

What Budget do you have for this?

Is your Dad adventurous, ie will he try something new?

If you are around Dublin drop into the guys in the Celtic Whiskey Shop, anytime I have been in there they have been very helpful and so far have not steered me wrong with any of their recommendations.

I was in O'Briens yesterday and they have a good price on Jameson 12 Year-Old Special Reserve at €24.99 at the moment, I would recommend that as a generic kind of bottle.

Of course if he's a fan of the likes of Jack then something like Jameson 12 year old would be a bit of a departure from his usual drink...
    Not that it's not excellent. If you're looking at the full range of potential available whiskeys, for similar money you could also look at tyrconnell single malt which is excellent and should come in under 30 euro a bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Of course if he's a fan of the likes of Jack then something like Jameson 12 year old would be a bit of a departure from his usual drink...
    Not that it's not excellent. If you're looking at the full range of potential available whiskeys, for similar money you could also look at tyrconnell single malt which is excellent and should come in under 30 euro a bottle.

True but I would class a Jameson as a safe choice whiskey. Tyrconnell is lovely as well, he could also try the Lockes 8 year old single malt which I believe is €29.95 in the CWS. If you can afford a bit more Redbrest 12 year is excellent and the 15 year old is even better :)

(You can tell I don't drink Bourbon :D)

I don't either. Can't bloody stand it. Which makes me completely unqualified to recommend anything other than good irish whiskey or what the OP already was going to buy. Must try the lockes actually. Never had it. Thanks gandalf!

As I said OP. 20 euro in O'Briens for the Jack. Also have always found their staff v. helpful if you want a recommendation for a slightly better bourbon. I sound like I am shilling for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Legion2008

Buy him a membership and some tastings from the Irish Whiskey Society and let him sample a number of different whiskies

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

could i recommend black bush irish whiskey. its a lovely drink and reasonable as well under the €30 mark.

quick question does your dad put coke or similar in his jd?
    if yes then the subtile flavours of a more expensive version may be lost on him but I understand that the gentelman jack is a very very nice kentucky whisky as JD is NOT burbon

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

as JD is NOT burbon

That is debatable - just cause they don't put it on the bottle doesn't mean it's not. Legally, they'd be entitled to call it a Bourbon but they choose not to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

gentelman jack is a very very nice kentucky whisky
    Tennessee, not Kentucky.

And yeah, according to Wiki, all Tennessee whiskeys are bourbons.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

How about a bottle of four roses? think you can pick it up now for about 25-30e

Advertisement