Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hot towel shave in Galway

• 11-12-2011 6:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good place to get a hot towel shave in Galway? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

George Rafferty at the Bridge Mills is great, but go into him when its quiet. I think Nallys at the end of Shop St. do one as well with a straight razor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

Thanks for your reply. Is that the little place on the corner there before the garda station?

Thats the one, its about e12 or around that.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

Sorry to bump an old thread but Whats George Raffterys place down by the bridge mills called?12 euros for a hot towel shave seems to be half the price of any where else in town.Im getting married next December,so I want to find a good spot for a shave the day of the wedding for myself and the 2 brothers.Want to go for a trial run some day soon :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I would be wary of a straight razor shave on the actual the day of the wedding, straights will often cause some irritation to the 'uninitiated' - hopefully your barber knows what he is doing but it is much harder to gauge how close to go with the shave. The third pass will often irritate. I would tell the barber either go easy on the closeness or be shaved the day before and just touch up on the morning of the wedding.

If you do get some irritation - talcum powder is a great cover-up.

Ideally get shaved late the day before and give a gentle once over before the wedding.

• Advertisement

Sorry to bump an old thread but Whats George Raffterys place down by the bridge mills called?12 euros for a hot towel shave seems to be half the price of any where else in town.Im getting married next December,so I want to find a good spot for a shave the day of the wedding for myself and the 2 brothers.Want to go for a trial run some day soon :D

George does a hot towel shave with a cartridge razor. He gets a very close shave with it and its well worth it. One note of caution, don't go into him on a Saturday for a hot towel shave as hes normally very busy then and prefers to devote time to it. Do it after work some day perhaps, and if all three of you want one, book it with him in advance.

ladhrann wrote: »
    George does a hot towel shave with a cartridge razor. He gets a very close shave with it and its well worth it. One note of caution, don't go into him on a Saturday for a hot towel shave as hes normally very busy then and prefers to devote time to it. Do it after work some day perhaps, and if all three of you want one, book it with him in advance.

Sorry, but what is the point of that?

The towel and the ceremony of it all really. Depressed town in the West here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

My hubby has got a few from Kozzy's...one in the Galway Shopping Centre and one at Joyce's, Knocknacarra.

ladhrann wrote: »
    The towel and the ceremony of it all really.

Hmmm...hate to be snobby but it's bit like dragging out the best china and icebucket for a bottle of MiWadi. Why doesn't this chap learn to shave people with a straight. I did about 20 straight razor shaves over the last weekend for people at a festival, without formal training. It is actually not that hard if you understand what the razor is doing.

• Advertisement

MadsL wrote: »
    I would be wary of a straight razor shave on the actual the day of the wedding, straights will often cause some irritation to the 'uninitiated' - hopefully your barber knows what he is doing but it is much harder to gauge how close to go with the shave. The third pass will often irritate. I would tell the barber either go easy on the closeness or be shaved the day before and just touch up on the morning of the wedding.

If you do get some irritation - talcum powder is a great cover-up.

Ideally get shaved late the day before and give a gentle once over before the wedding.

Hey thanks for the advice.If I got It the day before the wedding It probably would be very stubbly the next day....I have a homer Simpson beard.
    But the problem Is my skin gets irritated very easily also so I wouldnt like shaving myself a couple of hours before my wedding.
    Do you know the name of the barbers that George works in?

Hey thanks for the advice.If I got It the day before the wedding It probably would be very stubbly the next day....I have a homer Simpson beard.
    But the problem Is my skin gets irritated very easily also so I wouldnt like shaving myself a couple of hours before my wedding.
    Do you know the name of the barbers that George works in?

A decent close shave will last a good while. I doubt a 5 o clock hot towel shave (proper one) will need more than a very very light run over the next morning if at all.

All the options here - http://headmastersbarbers.webs.com/shavingmore.htm

I don't know them but you could do a trial run.

MadsL wrote: »
    A decent close shave will last a good while. I doubt a 5 o clock hot towel shave (proper one) will need more than a very very light run over the next morning if at all.

All the options here - http://headmastersbarbers.webs.com/shavingmore.htm

I don't know them but you could do a trial run.

Thanks for that.They look good,pity they had a living social deal not to long along :mad:.Do you know any good ones in town I could check out?
    I went to Tom Nallys paid around 30 euros at the time and I wasnt impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

any of the turkish barbers should do it. skinny billy for example

Thanks for that.They look good,pity they had a living social deal not to long along :mad:.Do you know any good ones in town I could check out?
    I went to Tom Nallys paid around 30 euros at the time and I wasnt impressed.

Sorry, I'm not exactly local.
    <----location tag

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement