Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star Trek Models

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Fair play enter, they all look awesome.
    Yoyager looks quite elegant there, the deflector dish makes it stand out imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Fair play enter, they all look awesome.
    Yoyager looks quite elegant there, the deflector dish makes it stand out imo

Cheers man, they're all really easy to build though. They're pre-painted & no glue is required either, they more or less all clip together. The lighting in them is very easy to wire up too so there's nothing special about them...apart from how bloody nice they are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

not to scale though, voy is too big and ent-e to small, right?

not to scale though, voy is too big and ent-e to small, right?

They're all 1:850 scale, so the bigger ships obviously will look smaller in comparison to the smaller ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Very nice work there EnterNow, they look really well done.
    Although tiny in comparison the NX-01 is quite nice.

Just spent about three hours this morning making the 1701 (well 90% of it). I know it's pre-painted etc but I've never gone near making any sort of model before! Great fun indeed to see it coming together as you make it. Thanks to EnterNow for this thread as I would never have known about this range only for him. Super super quality photos as well. I was coming here to ask about the wiring in the motor but one of the photos cleared things up for me!

How do you know how long to cut the wiring to? You'd think they'd be pre-made wouldn't you?

Those bloody nacelles were hard going and I agree with EnterNow's comment about the connection between them and the secondary hull being flimsy (even though that was the Refit I believe).

Think I'll go looking for the Enterprise E now! :)

Just spent about three hours this morning making the 1701 (well 90% of it). I know it's pre-painted etc but I've never gone near making any sort of model before! Great fun indeed to see it coming together as you make it. Thanks to EnterNow for this thread as I would never have known about this range only for him. Super super quality photos as well. I was coming here to ask about the wiring in the motor but one of the photos cleared things up for me!

How do you know how long to cut the wiring to? You'd think they'd be pre-made wouldn't you?

Those bloody nacelles were hard going and I agree with EnterNow's comment about the connection between them and the secondary hull being flimsy (even though that was the Refit I believe).

Think I'll go looking for the Enterprise E now! :)

They really are gorgeous models, & great fun to build because they come together very quickly. I actually didn't cut the wires for the nacelle lighting, so ended up with a fair amount of slack - which in turn became a bit of a nightmare fitting it all into the secondary hull, prob should have cut them!

The Enterprise-E is a cracking one, my fav is prob Voyager though it's much bigger than the rest of the line & has really good detail :)

Yeah I'm stuck at the moment as I don't have something like a razor blade to do the very short ones for the motor. Enterprise E has been added to my eBay saved searches list! :D I got lucky with this one as I ordered it from Hong Kong and customs didn't cop on! Saved around €40. I was delighted. :)

Yeah I'm stuck at the moment as I don't have something like a razor blade to do the very short ones for the motor

Nothing to snip the wires? Bah, use your teeth man! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

If anyone spots a polar lights 1:350 Enterprise A for a decent price, do let me know :)

FutureGuy wrote: »
    If anyone spots a polar lights 1:350 Enterprise A for a decent price, do let me know :)

Ooh, what a task. They're some size, have you ever seen one? I've one there to build that I got a few years ago...not gonna bother with it until I'm a master of the craft though :o

EnterNow wrote: »
    Ooh, what a task. They're some size, have you ever seen one? I've one there to build that I got a few years ago...not gonna bother with it until I'm a master of the craft though :o

It'll be a present for my brother who is steadily building his skillset. It's something he'd like to try in a few years but may as well but it if I see it cheap.

Stunning models by the way EN!

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Stunning models by the way EN!

Cheers man, though in comparison to a PL Enterprise 1:350, these are like lego kits...they just snap & click together. The PL kits are the real deal, & if done by someone in the know, are about as close as you'll get the a filming model

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

Can any of these models you guys have be hung from the ceiling? Like are there models with little hooks so you can hang them? I'm sure I could sort it out myself but I was just wondering. It would be cool to hang one over my tv :D Anyone know where you can get larger sized models? Cheers!

Can any of these models you guys have be hung from the ceiling? Like are there models with little hooks so you can hang them? I'm sure I could sort it out myself but I was just wondering. It would be cool to hang one over my tv :D Anyone know where you can get larger sized models? Cheers!

Yeah there's no hooks on any of my Bandai ones, but they're pretty light & I'm sure if you tie some white thread around the nacelles & the saucers you could hang them without hassle.

When you get to bigger models like the Polar Lights stuff, no chance. The PL Enterprise refit is so heavy it has a support bar from the stand running up to the saucer just to stop the saucer breaking off under its own weight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

Yeah there's no hooks on any of my Bandai ones, but they're pretty light & I'm sure if you tie some white thread around the nacelles & the saucers you could hang them without hassle.

When you get to bigger models like the Polar Lights stuff, no chance. The PL Enterprise refit is so heavy it has a support bar from the stand running up to the saucer just to stop the saucer breaking off under its own weight.

Cheers man. Would you say the Polar lights models are of better quality/more realistic? I'll have a look now. Would love an Ent D & Romulan Warbird hanging head to head over my tv, it would look cool. Pity the Polar lights ones are too heavy for that.

Cheers man. Would you say the Polar lights models are of better quality/more realistic? I'll have a look now. Would love an Ent D & Romulan Warbird hanging head to head over my tv, it would look cool. Pity the Polar lights ones are too heavy for that.

Well the beauty of the Bandai models is they're pre-painted, & painted to a very very high standard may I add. The bigger models such as Polar Lights, Revell etc when it comes to realism, all comes down to how good your modelling/painting skills are ;)

Actually the like of the Revell models would hang from the ceiling with some thread too I'd imagine, they're not heavy. I've a few of them to build, the Enterprise-B, Enterprise-C, Reliant and some more stored away.

The Polar Lights 1:350 kits are HUGE though

Well the beauty of the Bandai models is they're pre-painted, & painted to a very very high standard may I add. The bigger models such as Polar Lights, Revell etc when it comes to realism, all comes down to how good your modelling/painting skills are ;)

Actually the like of the Revell models would hang from the ceiling with some thread too I'd imagine, they're not heavy. I've a few of them to build, the Enterprise-B, Enterprise-C, Reliant and some more stored away.

The Polar Lights 1:350 kits are HUGE though

If only there was a set of model kits that built the ships to scale compared to each other :(

Finished off mine the other night and it didn't light up at all. Massively disappointed with myself. The different sections were working when I tested them so I obviously messed up this bit:

SA702523.jpg

I really can't face taking it apart again for fear of something breaking....are the lights really worth the potential trauma?

are the lights really worth the potential trauma?

Absolutely! Now put on the gold uniform, & run a level 1 diagnostic there & sort it out. It'll be worth it :)

• Advertisement

I've decided to put all these models up for sale. They're not cheap, check ebay too to see for yourself. Link here if anyone is interested -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭somuj

i had a klingon warbird, next gen enterprise and a ds9
    ds9 took ****ing hours to build, i left it down on my bed after I'd finished and went onto my computer. was looking through the phonebook to find a number for something afterwards and without thinking just threw the book over my shoulder when i'd found the number.

I hear a big crash. I look behind me and I had accomplished what the domion could not.
    never bothered with models again after that.

you should be executed. should pray to the prophets for forgivness :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Kurn

I've decided to put all these models up for sale. They're not cheap, check ebay too to see for yourself. Link here if anyone is interested -

Voyager looks amazing. just curious why it is more expensive? If only I had that kind of money!

Its price is directly proportional to its coolness.

johnmryan wrote: »
    Voyager looks amazing. just curious why it is more expensive? If only I had that kind of money!

The Voyager model is a good bit bigger than the others, that combined with it being a much harder one to find I think contributes to it having such a higher value.

The Voyager model is a good bit bigger than the others, that combined with it being a much harder one to find I think contributes to it having such a higher value.

Good luck with the sale - must be hard to let them go

Good luck with the sale - must be hard to let them go

Aye for sure, they're all beautiful models. Maybe I'll be happy if they don't sell at all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

That gobsh*te who asked was it 130 for all the ships deserves a slap. :mad:

Kirby wrote: »
    That gobsh*te who asked was it 130 for all the ships deserves a slap. :mad:

Yeah I just ignore stuff like that on Adverts, it's all in the description re prices etc. Strongly thinking of hanging on to them actually now anyway :)

Screw it, I'm gonna keep them :) Think I'll purchase a nice floating shelf for them & get them outta moth balls & display them :)

• Advertisement

Screw it, I'm gonna keep them :) Think I'll purchase a nice floating shelf for them & get them outta moth balls & display them :)
    A moment of madness!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

A moment of madness!
    No, this is Sparta! :pac:

star-trek-sparta-the-free-web-comic.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Chalk it up to mirror universe EnterNow.

Goldstein wrote: »
    Chalk it up to mirror universe EnterNow.

mirror-mirror-288x300.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

What in the great googlymoogly happened to your name?

I hate change.............:(

Kirby wrote: »
    What in the great googlymoogly happened to your name?

I hate change.............:(

I know I know, but the name had been bothering me for ages & ages. So I applied to Admiral Ross for dispensation to change the name & it was granted :)

Major bump alert (ion storm)

The buzzard collectors on the NX-01 never sat right with me on the Bandai model. Granted, I used a custom lighting circuit in it & not the factory one, but the red led's were always a little too intense, which threw off the rest of the lighting effect. Given I'm doing an Enterprise run through at the mo, I thought it a good idea to take the nacelles apart & fix the issue. In the end, I used a very complex solution that required hours & hours of painstaking...ah what the hell, I cut up some transparent red plastic from a wrapper & added layers of it inside the collector, until the effect looked right.

It's still hard to get a decent shot of the ship with the lights on, it's not quite how it looks in person but you can see here the difference between the port & starboard collectors (the port one is how it's been for years, & the starboard one has the red transparent plastic inside which diffuses the light, and dims it down to the correct level).

IMG_20160523_183902.jpg

IMG_20160523_183943.jpg

A few beauty shots while she's out & about:

IMG_20160523_185315.jpg

IMG_20160523_185330.jpg

IMG_20160523_185351.jpg

IMG_20160523_185403.jpg

IMG_20160523_185530.jpg

IMG_20160523_185818.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,394 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Your NX-01 looks fantastic great job.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Looks fantastic !

• Advertisement

It's a lovely model actually, & I think it's the cheapest of the five Bandai ships. Comes it at just over a hundred from Japan - http://www.ebay.ie/itm/1-850-U-S-S-ENTERPRISE-NX-01-Star-Trek-BANDAI-/322102718245?hash=item4afed16f25:g:Xa4AAOSwzgRW1u3w

Bandai make great kits, their Star wars ones are brilliant too. no glue required for the most part.

Bandai make great kits, their Star wars ones are brilliant too. no glue required for the most part.

Yeah they do indeed. To get these Trek models absolutely perfect, you prob would need a tiny dab of glue here & there...some of the joins are only 95% instead of 100%. I chose to leave them un-glued though, incase I ever needed to change bulbs etc. Nothing major at all though. The paint job on them is something else.

They're getting quite pricey though, & the Voyager model has gone to insane levels of monies - http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Bandai-Star-Trek-USS-Voyager-Modell-beleuchtet-NCC-74656-1-850-BILDER-OVP-NEU-/201574207262?hash=item2eeec24f1e:g:TQMAAOSwgApXBS-q

wow that is insane haha, i guess they dont make them anymore? Bandai have the rights to star wars kits in Japan and revel in the europe so a lot of the Japanese websites stopped shipping the kits overseas, you can still find them on ebay though where they will ship, price has gone up slightly because of this. You need to paint the bandai star wars kits though, to get the most out of them.

wow that is insane haha, i guess they dont make them anymore?

Not that I know of, I think they stopped production a good few years back unfortunately. I'd have loved if they did more of them, a Galaxy class & an Excelsior class would have been amazing.
    Bandai have the rights to star wars kits in Japan and revel in the europe so a lot of the Japanese websites stopped shipping the kits overseas, you can still find them on ebay though where they will ship, price has gone up slightly because of this. You need to paint the bandai star wars kits though, to get the most out of them.

Interesting, didn't know that :)

Advertisement