Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

transporting my PC to Australia

Options
  • 11-12-2011 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

hi guys, build a gaming PC last year. I am moving to OZ for 8 month and want to bring the PC with me. The case is a cooler master haf and I have a 27in moniter. I would prefer not to take it apart but I am a bit worried whether my rig would take much punishment during transport. Any recommendations on transporting would be appreicated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

You could ship it using like UPC/DHL or whatever. I wouldn't recommend sending it using a removal company with other stuff. They tend to break everything they can :(
    If you sent it via UPC/DHL Etc, you could just wrap it up in boxes just like when it was shipped to you. Shouldn't be a problem at all. Although, price might be a bit steep!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

id try take it as hand luggage wrapped in antistatic plastic.

the monitor in the clothes bag.
    and er the keyboard/mouse bought over there. id say the keyboard will look dodgy in the xray machine. im fairly certain xrays dont do anything to PC's cause they send your laptop though it dont they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

yeah ive haad laptops xrayed before and they were ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

If you have a heavy cpu cooler i'd take it off before sending because it's the most likely to break or cause some damage

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Put the PC in your clothes case, and pack socks/underwear/whatever on the inside around the components to hold them in place. If you have room, you can also pack towels around the case on the outside. This means your case is (relatively) secure, and protected in your luggage, and you lose the minimum of space. I'd then carry the monitor.

Better paying €50-100 for overweight luggage than €400 to ship it using DHL/FedEx.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

My suggestion - leave the computer at home and take up surfing for 8 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

or buy a cheap laptop over there and use OnLive

Advertisement