Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge/Property Tax Public Meeting Ferrycarrig

Options
  • 11-12-2011 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

As Many people are aware by now of The €100 household charge announced by the government comes into effect on 1st January 2012.
    It will be the first step in the government’s plans to implement a fully fledged property and water tax by 2014 that could cost over €1,000 per household according to one government economic advisor.
    This community organising meeting of the Campaign Against Household & Water Tax is intended to equip people with the arguments against these unjust taxes and the information and resources for organising a campaign of non payment in your community.

There will be a public meeting regarding the household charge/property tax on Monday December 12th in the Wexford Youths football complex, Ferrycarrig at 8pm. All welcome.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/wallacemick/posts/199206996830988

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Meh!

The Country is bust, someone has to pay the bills. This charge is going on every house, so it is equitable.I don't want to, but I'll be paying mine.

Bleedin' bankers and developers got us here, it is only us who can get us out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Why don't they just call it what it is, a Poll tax.
    I don't see what's equitable about a widow surviving on a pension and living in a cottage in the wilds of South Wexford, paying the same as Pat Kenny is for half of Dalkey.
    There is no attempt to be fair or equitable and I am totally pissed off listening to these politicians on six figure salaries talking about "it's only two euro a week". It's not "only" two euro a week, it's another two euro a week, on top of all the other cuts and charges.
    I won't be paying it, I've paid enough tax on my house and it's time the politicians realised that not only is the country broke, the people are broke as well. I gave my No. 1 vote to Brendan Howlin last February, because I was sick and tired of the corruption of Fianna Fáil, that's a mistake I won't be repeating. Labour are supposed to be all about protecting the less well off but this crowd just keep taking the easy option. No effort has been made to introduce legislation to allow us to prevent the same thing happening again, laws to tackle white collar crime are weak or non-existent, criminals like Bertie Ahern are giving two fingers to the rest of us, just as Burke and Haughey did before him but this Government put all their energy into finding ways to screw every last cent out of the less well off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I the people of this country had any balls they'd just say "enough's enough" in the form of standing united and not paying this charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I'd have to echo Bmaxi's comments,we thought we were voting in change and a new start away from the cronyism and outright theft of the FF regime but it looks like more of the same from this shower in government,I don't buy the argument of "ah sure they have to get the money from somewhere".They have the money to pay out salaries only we can dream of and all the pre-election promises have been broken.But as usual we Irish will lie down and continue to be rode.

If this scenario had taken place 10 years ago,I'd be on a plane so fast you wouldn't see me for dust.Sick to the back teeth of levies,stealth taxes and cuts while politicians sit in their ivory towers and enjoy the high life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Mach Lei

oldyouth wrote: »
    Meh!

The Country is bust, someone has to pay the bills. This charge is going on every house, so it is equitable.I don't want to, but I'll be paying mine.

Bleedin' bankers and developers got us here, it is only us who can get us out.

Why shouldn,t the people who got us into this mess,pay for it? in other countries Italy for example they have brought in a wealth tax, the powers that be, could do the same heret to less the burdon on the rest of us, you say you will pay more, you might be able afford €100 a year next year, but will you be able to pay €1000 a year combined with water charges?

You say someone has to pay the pills, while the majority of the population have suffered welfare cuts, wage cuts etc and now being asked to pay a household charge/property tax, these advisers are getting big pay rises, everyone else is being asked to take pain and share the burdon, but not this lot, how can that be justified?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1206/breaking40.html#.TuYOBPWbdss.facebook

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/budget/news/taoiseach-silent-on-pay-rise-for-five-other-advisers-2955412.html

Come along tonight and hear the other side of the argument, there,s always two sides to everything, and not just the daily propaganda and spin on this issue.

• Advertisement

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I the people of this country had any balls they'd just say "enough's enough" in the form of standing united and not paying this charge.

In regards to the household charge/property tax, for anyone that, s opposed to it, there is a national boycott campaign being built that, s underway, we have already held many succesful meetings around the country in galway, cork, waterford, donegal, kilkenny, …where the majority who have attended these meetings have agreed non payment is the only way to go, and remember if you decide to boycott it and not pay it, you won, t be by any means on your own, there are others like minded people who feel the same way, who have signed up to this campaign, check your local newspapers for meetings in your local area.

For everyone against the household charge/property tax, please share this link on your facebook wall and ask all your friends to sign up to this campaign, we shall be stronger in numbers-we shall be one-we shall be many.

http://www.nohouseholdtax.org/

Mach Lei wrote: »
    Why shouldn,t the people who got us into this mess,pay for it?

you might be able afford €100 a year next year, but will you be able to pay €1000 a year combined with water charges?

Come along tonight and hear the other side of the argument, there,s always two sides to everything, and not just the daily propaganda and spin on this issue.

Firstly, the population of this Country has been saddled with the bill, whether we like it or not. The people who got us in to this can't/won't get us out of it, so if we want our hospitals open and Gardai on the street, what do you suggest?

Who said I can afford it. My salary is 50% of what it was last year

Finally, anyone who knows me will testify to how much I admire Mick Wallace for what he has done for football in Wexford, the Youths are a passion of mine. However, I will not be preached to by a property developer and politician about how we should stand up against developers and politicians. I'll sit this one out thank you

Firstly, the population of this Country has been saddled with the bill, whether we like it or not. The people who got us in to this can't/won't get us out of it, so if we want our hospitals open and Gardai on the street, what do you suggest?

Who said I can afford it. My salary is 50% of what it was last year

Finally, anyone who knows me will testify to how much I admire Mick Wallace for what he has done for football in Wexford, the Youths are a passion of mine. However, I will not be preached to by a property developer and politician about how we should stand up against developers and politicians. I'll sit this one out thank you

To address your one side of the argument the money has to come from somewhere, a few years ago when the previous goverment considered putting tax on text messages by 3 cent a text I think it was, if the current goverment were to do this I wouldn,t take an issue with it, also I think the goverment should bring in a wealth tax like has being done over in Italy.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0906/italy-business.html

Second Given the other lies we have all heard from politicians from, yes to lisbon/yes to jobs, the lies about keeping roscommon hospital open, the promise not to Increase student fees which have again Increased with this weeks budget, do you actually believe them when they say this is going to go towards any local services/ running of the country and not into private banks?

If you need further proof of this going into private banks.
    However, speaking at the meeting, but not as Mayor, Fine Gael councillor David Fitzgerald pointed out that if the taxes were not paid, there may be no money in the ATM machines.

http://www.advertiser.ie/kilkenny/article/45257/public-stand-together-against-household-taxes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

bmaxi wrote: »
    Why don't they just call it what it is, a Poll tax.
    I don't see what's equitable about a widow surviving on a pension and living in a cottage in the wilds of South Wexford, paying the same as Pat Kenny is for half of Dalkey.
    There is no attempt to be fair or equitable and I am totally pissed off listening to these politicians on six figure salaries talking about "it's only two euro a week". It's not "only" two euro a week, it's another two euro a week, on top of all the other cuts and charges.
    I won't be paying it, I've paid enough tax on my house and it's time the politicians realised that not only is the country broke, the people are broke as well. I gave my No. 1 vote to Brendan Howlin last February, because I was sick and tired of the corruption of Fianna Fáil, that's a mistake I won't be repeating. Labour are supposed to be all about protecting the less well off but this crowd just keep taking the easy option. No effort has been made to introduce legislation to allow us to prevent the same thing happening again, laws to tackle white collar crime are weak or non-existent, criminals like Bertie Ahern are giving two fingers to the rest of us, just as Burke and Haughey did before him but this Government put all their energy into finding ways to screw every last cent out of the less well off.

Agree with this but they are going to bring in something to stop this in 2014 as for now though it will just be the flat rate which is a bit silly really they seem to be rushing it through without any thought they should have figured out how to make it fair and equitable first and then brought it in.

donalg1 wrote: »
    Agree with this but they are going to bring in something to stop this in 2014 as for now though it will just be the flat rate which is a bit silly really they seem to be rushing it through without any thought they should have figured out how to make it fair and equitable first and then brought it in.

They want to bring in value property tax system, in the new year, you can expect a letter from your local authority, demanding information about your property, extension, porch, loft conversion, garage etc, you will be charged MORE than the initial fee in the future (once they have a good nose around your property and sum it up for you,along with demanding your bank account details, the only way to fight and win this, is the same as the previous anti water charges campaign, don.t pay, and don,t register any details about your property with the local authority.

• Advertisement

They want to bring in value property tax system, in the new year, you can expect a letter from your local authority, demanding information about your property, extension, porch, loft conversion, garage etc, you will be charged MORE than the initial fee in the future (once they have a good nose around your property and sum it up for you,along with demanding your bank account details, the only way to fight and win this, is the same as the previous anti water charges campaign, don.t pay, and don,t register any details about your property with the local authority.

Well I'd be surprised if that happens in the new year as they are only going to begin discussions in June either way I will have to pay as I don't want the charges registered against my property or don't want to have to pay any penalties

Well I'd be surprised if that happens in the new year as they are only going to begin discussions in June either way I will have to pay as I don't want the charges registered against my property or don't want to have to pay any penalties

I have read the recent details and Im aware what,s planned, you don,t have to pay, there,s a campaign underway with a lot of people signed up, and more to follow in the new year,like the anti poll tax campaign, and previous anti water charges campaign, when enough people refuse to pay, any threats of fines or penalties will become unenforace and force the goverment to do a u turn,these taxes won,t be just here for a few years to get us out of recession, if they succeed, these taxes will be here for good.

One thing I notice in your post is I, it won,t be just you alone not paying this household charge/property tax,there is a national boycott campaign being built that, s underway, we have already held many succesful meetings around the country in galway, cork, waterford, donegal, kilkenny, …where the majority who have attended these meetings have agreed non payment is the only way to go, and remember if you decide to boycott it and not pay it, you won, t be by any means on your own, there are others like minded people who feel the same way, who have signed up to this campaign, just recently at one meeting in donegal over 300 signed up for non payment.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/campaign-against-household-and-water-taxes/350-people-say-no-to-septic-tank-charges-and-household-tax-in-donegal-town/259457380770514

I have read the recent details and Im aware what,s planned, you don,t have to pay, there,s a campaign underway with a lot of people signed up, and more to follow in the new year,like the anti poll tax campaign, and previous anti water charges campaign, when enough people refuse to pay, any threats of fines or penalties will become unenforace and force the goverment to do a u turn,these taxes won,t be just here for a few years to get us out of recession, if they succeed, these taxes will be here for good.

One thing I notice in your post is I, it won,t be just you alone not paying this household charge/property tax,there is a national boycott campaign being built that, s underway, we have already held many succesful meetings around the country in galway, cork, waterford, donegal, kilkenny, …where the majority who have attended these meetings have agreed non payment is the only way to go, and remember if you decide to boycott it and not pay it, you won, t be by any means on your own, there are others like minded people who feel the same way, who have signed up to this campaign, just recently at one meeting in donegal over 300 signed up for non payment.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/campaign-against-household-and-water-taxes/350-people-say-no-to-septic-tank-charges-and-household-tax-in-donegal-town/259457380770514

Either way I will still pay as it'll be the law. Only question is who do I pay or do I pay it as last time I checked there had been no mention of these details

Either way I will still pay as it'll be the law. Only question is who do I pay or do I pay it as last time I checked there had been no mention of these details

You will get a form in the new year as I explained, payments are made to local authority, Unjust laws that don,t serve the Interests of the majority will be and have to be broken.

Second Given the other lies we have all heard from politicians from, yes to lisbon/yes to jobs, the lies about keeping roscommon hospital open, the promise not to Increase student fees which have again Increased with this weeks budget, do you actually believe them when they say this is going to go towards any local services/ running of the country and not into private banks
    Yet you want me to attend a meeting, hosted by a politician at his own premises. You're the spin doctor and not a good one at that

Yet you want me to attend a meeting, hosted by a politician at his own premises. You're the spin doctor and not a good one at that

Whether you attend or not is up to you as an Individual, there will be others attending and there will be others signing up for non payment.

You will get a form in the new year as I explained, payments are made to local authority, Unjust laws that don,t serve the Interests of the majority will be and have to be broken.

Cool thanks for that do you have a link of the info so I can have a read of it and so I know which dept of the local authority is collecting it? Car tax is due in January so may as well kill two birds with the one stone

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Bleedin' bankers and developers got us here, it is only us who can get us out

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Whether you attend or not is up to you as an Individual, there will be others attending and there will be others signing up for non payment.
    No problem, thanks for that. I accept the position anyone else may opt for but politicians giving out about politicians sounds like more of the same to me

No problem, thanks for that. I accept the position anyone else may opt for but politicians giving out about politicians sounds like more of the same to me

Its not just politicians in this campaign, some public representatives will have a role in this campaign, but most people are like myself joined and take part in this campaign as an Individual without any political party affiliations.

• Advertisement

Its not just politicians in this campaign, some public representatives will have a role in this campaign, but most people are like myself joined and take part in this campaign as an Individual without any political party affiliations.
    OK, cards on the table time. Why have all your posts on Boards been on this issue?
    I'm not (and never have been) a member of a political party. I have voted across all party lines as circumstances dictated and I'm a PAYE worker all my life.

How about you?

OK, cards on the table time. Why have all your posts on Boards been on this issue?
    I'm not (and never have been) a member of a political party. I have voted across all party lines as circumstances dictated and I'm a PAYE worker all my life.

How about you?

I feel strongly about this issue as well do a lot of other people, I never really used internet forums much before, but whenever I see this issue being discussed in any thread, Im gonna put as much imput into it as I can.

I feel strongly about this issue as well do a lot of other people, I never really used internet forums much before, but whenever I see this issue being discussed in any thread, Im gonna put as much imput into it as I can.

Sorry, you seem to have left your response incomplete

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Sorry, you seem to have left your response incomplete

As have you oldyouth !!
    Bleedin' bankers and developers got us here, it is only us who can get us out

confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

I put up these 4 confused symbols as I am confused by your statement (above), if the bleedin' bankers and developers got us here why in the hell are we paying? You are saying ah sure x an y made a balls of the economy and got us in this state but sure hey it's up to us to sort it all out - well no it's not actually. What's more is that there were more than bankers and developers to blame, Governments and the Irish people themselves are also to blame.

Politicians will not tackle the bankers or developers. Do you accept that? The IMO have set this budget. I have more faith in them than our elected representitives. Sorry if I wasn't clear earlier

Politicians will not tackle the bankers or developers. Do you accept that? The IMO have set this budget. I have more faith in them than our elected representitives. Sorry if I wasn't clear earlier

At the present because there,s weak non existment laws to tackle them, however given all that,s happened over the last few years, bank bailouts, the golden circle etc, two things I always have suggested, one stronger regulation of the banks and finincial Institutions, two the settting up of a white collar crime task force to tackle cases like the golden circle, there,s already a criminal assets bureau to tackle assets by drug barons, we need something similar to tackle white collar crime.

At the present because there,s weak non existment laws to tackle them, however given all that,s happened over the last few years, bank bailouts, the golden circle etc, two things I always have suggested, one stronger regulation of the banks and finincial Institutions, two the settting up of a white collar crime task force to tackle cases like the golden circle, there,s already a criminal assets bureau to tackle assets by drug barons, we need something similar to tackle white collar crime.
    Shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted. Again, who is going to pay the nurses & Gardai their January pay?

Shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted. Again, who is going to pay the nurses & Gardai their January pay?

They are being payed through the central taxation system like always, Again do you think the household charge/property tax is gonna pay their wages/salarlies?

They are being payed through the central taxation system like always, Again do you think the household charge/property tax is gonna pay their wages/salarlies?
    I'd forgotten the central taxation system that pays for everything. Just as well it brings in more than it spends............no wait, was it on the news that it might not?, I'm sure I heard it somewhere.

WE DO NOT HAVE THE MONEY TO FUND WHAT WE SPEND

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭bohspunks

Hope meeting went well - any plans for one in New Ross?

Advertisement