Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Gel/Spray

2»

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 EasyGame

Go to a proper barber and they'll recommend you something based on your hair type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

Rather than trying to keep my hair spiked up my hair is a bit long so I've a constant effort to keep it straight. My dad had an Afro in the seventies and I'm still paying for it :rolleyes:.

I was using Fudge hair putty for a while which dried quickly and held my hair in place without it feeling like someone had put chewing gum into my hair. It smelt of lovely non chemical peach too, so that was a bonus.

FudgeHairPutty.jpg

The only problem was that it was a tad expensive and hard to come by.

After that I moved to Loreal Studio Out of Bed Fibre Putty which was rather similar to the Fudge, though it didn't have the lovely smell but rather a chemically almost peroxide smell to it, though I never smell this off myself when I apply it. Again it dries quickly and holds well. Easy enough to come by in chemists though I couldn't find it in any supermarkets.

loreal_fibre_putty.jpg

Currently I'm using Loreal Studio Mineral Control Modelling Gel-Paste, which is like a cross texture wise between the soft & hard brylcreme. It doesn't smell of anything really and dries quicker that anything else I've used. Again I found it easy to come by in chemists but not anywhere else.

loreal-studio-mineral-control-paste-.jpg

With all of them it was easy to remodel my hair anytime and it'd hold rather than having to rewet my hair first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

Jesus lads.. good old baby oil is the answer to all your problems.

Leave you with the wet look. Doesn't leave you with rigid stiff hair. Completely eliminates dandruff and hides grays. Washes out piss of piss.

I've been using it for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I have been using Vo5 cream. It does not seem to have great hold and dries out so it looks like I have dandruff flakes sometimes.

I am looking for a clear product for thick midium short hair (think 2" on top) that will hold, wont dry out and look flakey, smells nice and washes out.

suggestions on a post card please!

frAg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Started using American Crew Fiber lately - don't see myself changing any time soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I used to always use American Crew Defining Paste. I found it great for giving a textured/defined look with a nice matt-look finish. It gave great hold but still washed out easily. However it's pretty pricey.

defining-paste_0.jpg

The closest product that I have found to the American Crew Defining Paste is L'Oréal Paris Studio Line Special FX Dirty Clean - Texturizing Paste. I can only seem to find this in Boots, but it is nearly always on special offer (either buy 3 for 2, or buy 1 get 1 free).

Sty5_7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4 magnifeek

PaulieC wrote: »
    Started using American Crew Fiber lately - don't see myself changing any time soon

Where did you buy that? Can you get it in shops or online only?

magnifeek wrote: »
    Where did you buy that? Can you get it in shops or online only?
    Hairdressers mainly stock it and it's where I get mine.

I'm sure you can buy it online though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 magnifeek

Picked up a tub of it, cheers. What do you use to wash it out? I find that it doesn't wash out well, as in if I don't put any of it in the next day after showering I can still feel it in my hair (turns kinda greasy). It is very good for that general dry hold though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I've been using it for a few months now. It's brilliant and lasts ages.
    I used to use the American crew pomnade but the fibre has a better hold and look.

Magnifeek, I don't notice it sticks in my hair after a shower. You should rinse out your hair with luke warm/kind of cold water to get it all out and stop it getting greasy. Thats what works for me when I can't get tough gel out properly.

magnifeek wrote: »
    Picked up a tub of it, cheers. What do you use to wash it out? I find that it doesn't wash out well, as in if I don't put any of it in the next day after showering I can still feel it in my hair (turns kinda greasy). It is very good for that general dry hold though.
    I find that with all gels tbh - I just wash my hair with my usual shampoo (Head & Shoulders) and would condition a few times per week

Barring that I've never really had any issues with it - perhaps try using less - I find when you rub it in it really begins to stick and hold so you might not need to use as much.

Advertisement